Beardie Mouth Rot

Forrest T.

Beardie name(s)
Pogona, Mulder, Scully, Falkor, Volka, Eli
I have a male bearded dragon (he's around three yo), and I recently discovered he has mouth rot by looking inside of his mouth with a Q-tip. I have been rinsing it with betadine and water, administering vitamins and probiotics, and I have even been using rot guard, but it's not getting better. And even how much I search, I cannot find a veterinary clinic that accepts bearded dragons around me. Can anyone suggest any possible treatments, please? If something bad happens to him I will honestly fall apart

Thank you

Forrest T.

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Can you post pics of his mouth ? Is he eating or is his mouth too sore ?
Well, he was picky prior to this infection, so he will only eat insects. However, just so he has the strength to fight off the infection, I have been "force" feeding him a few greens with vitamins and probiotics sprinkled on them. I have a hard time opening his mouth, but on the top left corner is red and it has a little yellow patch. His saliva is very thick. I believe he might be in the mid-stages of mouth rot, but I'm not sure.

Edit: The left side of his face is also swollen a tad, which is concerning.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're probably doing the best you can , do you need help finding a vet ? You can also offer a little unpasteurized honey.

Forrest T.

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
You're probably doing the best you can , do you need help finding a vet ? You can also offer a little unpasteurized honey.
I am trying my very best--he's my baby, though I have six beardies in total. Both my father and I searched for a while, and we even called around, but no one accepts beardies.. What do you mean honey?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Unpasteurized honey is a natural antimicrobial and good for inflamed tissue. Of course it won't be able to stay on the tissue being in his mouth but it might help a little or be soothing.

Forrest T.

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Unpasteurized honey is a natural antimicrobial and good for inflamed tissue. Of course it won't be able to stay on the tissue being in his mouth but it might help a little or be soothing.
Thank you very much, but are there any antibiotics I could give him, such as amoxicillin?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing this evening? As AHBD suggested, the raw unpasteurized honey is great
& is very effective against all types of bacteria so definitely try that for now.
I hope he gets better, so keep us all posted on his progress. Pictures when you can, would be helpful.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LittleSofa
Top Bottom