Beardie might be dying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madburchell

Original Poster
Hello all. Sorry for posting again. But I think my sweet girl might be on her way out.

I can’t really believe I’m typing this right now. But even after treatment for pinworms, daily soaks, syringe feeding and nutritional slurries, Delta has not shown any improvements. She’s pooped four times in the past hour, 3 of which contained blood. I just can’t seem to help her with whatever mystery is going on in her body. We’ve had 3 weeks of bloody stool. I’ve already scheduled another vet appointment for Monday, but I’m not confident she will make it until then. Her eyes keep closing while she basks and she seems to be straining to poop.

I managed to replace her UVB tube (T5) and place it directly above her basking area.

The only positives I can come up with are these:

- whenever i take her out of her tank (usually to feed or just love on her bc i’m sad) she has a lot of energy. She runs around a lot, and sprints everywhere.

- she usually drinks some water whenever I put her in the sink for a bath

- she WILLINGLY ate 4 worms today, 2 superworms and 2 hornworms

- the anti-fungal cream seems to be helping her shoulder fungus

Here are some pics from today. I cherish our companionship so much, please let me know how I can make this easy for her and painless if she truly is on her way out.
05B12876-B1FA-4DD6-951C-EF16E231F7E1.jpeg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello all. Sorry for posting again. But I think my sweet girl might be on her way out.

I can’t really believe I’m typing this right now. But even after treatment for pinworms, daily soaks, syringe feeding and nutritional slurries, Delta has not shown any improvements. She’s pooped four times in the past hour, 3 of which contained blood. I just can’t seem to help her with whatever mystery is going on in her body. We’ve had 3 weeks of bloody stool. I’ve already scheduled another vet appointment for Monday, but I’m not confident she will make it until then. Her eyes keep closing while she basks and she seems to be straining to poop.

I managed to replace her UVB tube (T5) and place it directly above her basking area.

The only positives I can come up with are these:

- whenever i take her out of her tank (usually to feed or just love on her bc i’m sad) she has a lot of energy. She runs around a lot, and sprints everywhere.

- she usually drinks some water whenever I put her in the sink for a bath

- she WILLINGLY ate 4 worms today, 2 superworms and 2 hornworms

- the anti-fungal cream seems to be helping her shoulder fungus

Here are some pics from today. I cherish our companionship so much, please let me know how I can make this easy for her and painless if she truly is on her way out. View attachment 67056
@AHBD

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She does look ill and from your description it may be bad news. Still, her appetite is a surprise so that IS a hopeful development. Just take it one day at a time. She's in her home, familiar surroundings which is the best comfort she can have now.

Madburchell

Original Poster
She does look ill and from your description it may be bad news. Still, her appetite is a surprise so that IS a hopeful development. Just take it one day at a time. She's in her home, familiar surroundings which is the best comfort she can have now.
Thank you so much for the support you’ve given me these past couple days.

I agree, it was shocking. I was so happy when she ate some. But I just feel like I’d need a miracle for her to pull through this ick she’s had for a while.

Here’s a pic of her right now. I’ve got 2 heat bulbs and 2 uvbs above her for extra support. I’m about to clean out her tank again, as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 127

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry, little Delta is definitely having trouble. I also am thinking it is possible there are liver or kidney
issues that are present. The blood can indicate liver or kidney problems. Try to keep her comfortable if at all
possible. You managed to get some non dairy soy yogurt then?
Continue to keep her hydrated & try to get protein into her too, if you can. Chicken or turkey baby food, can be
mixed with sweet potato or squash baby food, also. You can supplement that for her even if you are getitng some
insects into her.
I will return your email also.

Tracie

Madburchell

Original Poster
Hello,

I am so sorry, little Delta is definitely having trouble. I also am thinking it is possible there are liver or kidney
issues that are present. The blood can indicate liver or kidney problems. Try to keep her comfortable if at all
possible. You managed to get some non dairy soy yogurt then?
Continue to keep her hydrated & try to get protein into her too, if you can. Chicken or turkey baby food, can be
mixed with sweet potato or squash baby food, also. You can supplement that for her even if you are getitng some
insects into her.
I will return your email also.

Tracie
Thank you for the kind words. I’m afraid you might be correct.

Yeah, I did manage to get some yogurt in her — i can only hope for the best now. Thanks so much.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You are welcome. Continue to keep getting nutrition into her. Do you have any milk thistle powder or liquid
you could start getting into her to help with liver function?
I hope she is resting well tonight. Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Madburchell

Original Poster
Hello,

You are welcome. Continue to keep getting nutrition into her. Do you have any milk thistle powder or liquid
you could start getting into her to help with liver function?
I hope she is resting well tonight. Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie
Thanks so much for everyone’s concern. Here’s a lil update for today.

Delta was basking this morning (woke up about 8:30) and she was down from her hammock. I continued to watch her; she just laid on the ground with her eyes closed. This worried me so I set her back up on the hammock (she can easily do it herself, but I want her to receive as much UVB and warmth as possible). She stayed there for a couple hours.

Well I just got out of the shower about 20 mins ago and find Delta running about her tank. She hadn’t done this is a while, so I am pretty happy about it. She even showed interest in her salad.

She poops while she’s running around, with a red tint. i’ll drop a picture.

After that, I decided to take her out and let her roam / give her her daily nutrients and slurry. I also gave her some calcium syrup. No yogurt this time as she’s had it daily for 3 days, and I think it raised her blood sugar. (I caught her bulging her eyes for like 2 minutes, before she abruptly stopped and was back to normal).

Long story short, I think we’re at a standstill in terms of progress. I think a positive is that she showed interest in food willingly, ran around, etc. But obviously the stool is still a problem.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 106

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That sounds like a little bit of progress. There's a tiny bit of red but not much so hopefully nothing serious. Everyone's pulling for her, go Delta !

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I think that is some progress. Keep giving softer foods for nutrition management for her. Is her beard still dark, or
has it lightened up any?

Tracie

Madburchell

Original Poster
Hello,

I think that is some progress. Keep giving softer foods for nutrition management for her. Is her beard still dark, or
has it lightened up any?

Tracie
Hey there. Just got back from the vet.

So they told me that since Delta has dropped weight and is pooping too much, she’s losing calories and must have something more intense than just a parasitic case. So we made the decision to get some blood work done. I was shocked when they said she dropped more weight, because I had gotten her to eat a lot of worms recently.

I would’ve gotten an X-Ray, but my mom suggested we do something less costly to help our sweet Delta. Results should come back on Wednesday which is when I’ll probably update y’all again.

Her colors were gorgeous this morning; super bright. But her beard was still dark, unfortunately. I’m about to feed her some slurry and offer some superworms as well. Prayers for my lil girl 😪

Badwolfe

Hatchling Member
Hey there. Just got back from the vet.

So they told me that since Delta has dropped weight and is pooping too much, she’s losing calories and must have something more intense than just a parasitic case. So we made the decision to get some blood work done. I was shocked when they said she dropped more weight, because I had gotten her to eat a lot of worms recently.

I would’ve gotten an X-Ray, but my mom suggested we do something less costly to help our sweet Delta. Results should come back on Wednesday which is when I’ll probably update y’all again.

Her colors were gorgeous this morning; super bright. But her beard was still dark, unfortunately. I’m about to feed her some slurry and offer some superworms as well. Prayers for my lil girl 😪
Well hopefully when the results come back the vet may have a better idea of what is going wrong. You can always post the results on here and Tracie can take a look too and should be able to offer advice

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom