Beardie making inhaling noises

My dragon Talon is 2.5 years old, eats great. Crickets, dubias, occasional hornworms. Bok choy, endive, radicchio, bunch of varied veggies. But lately I’ve noticed when I feed him I hear him breathing, like an inhale. And that scares me! My first beardie died after making noises, and the vet ingnoring my concerns, so bit of a scary thing for me. Im going to make a vet appt (I changed vets and the one I found is much better), but im wondering if this sounds like a respiratory infection? Or maybe im crazy and he’s fine and I shouldn’t worry, but I’ve never heard these noises before. Just wondering if there’s any guesses on what this is, how concerned I should or shouldn’t be.

FYI: My tank is 67 gallons, basking spot is 101 F, cool side is 80. Uvb is 10.0 t5 across the whole tank with a reflector. Placed on top of wide holed mesh. Here’s a messy picture. Yes, I use sand, I feed him outside his cage though. Am looking to replace the sand though. (The foil is cause my bird is temporarily housed in my room and don’t want her getting burnt, I know it looks trashy rn sorry lol.)

Attachments

• 62793DAF-9558-4341-AD62-BEB35E8004E5.jpeg
    62793DAF-9558-4341-AD62-BEB35E8004E5.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 121

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My dragon Talon is 2.5 years old, eats great. Crickets, dubias, occasional hornworms. Bok choy, endive, radicchio, bunch of varied veggies. But lately I’ve noticed when I feed him I hear him breathing, like an inhale. And that scares me! My first beardie died after making noises, and the vet ingnoring my concerns, so bit of a scary thing for me. Im going to make a vet appt (I changed vets and the one I found is much better), but im wondering if this sounds like a respiratory infection? Or maybe im crazy and he’s fine and I shouldn’t worry, but I’ve never heard these noises before. Just wondering if there’s any guesses on what this is, how concerned I should or shouldn’t be.

FYI: My tank is 67 gallons, basking spot is 101 F, cool side is 80. Uvb is 10.0 t5 across the whole tank with a reflector. Placed on top of wide holed mesh. Here’s a messy picture. Yes, I use sand, I feed him outside his cage though. Am looking to replace the sand though. (The foil is cause my bird is temporarily housed in my room and don’t want her getting burnt, I know it looks trashy rn sorry lol.)
Can you post a video of him doing the noise? Use you tube if you hadn't to- post the link- what is the humidity in the tank? What brand is the basking bulb? Is it a solid clear white bulb?

Dragonfury866

Original Poster
I can try taking a video tomorrow. Humidity is 40%. I use exoterra basking bulbs, I know they’re a rip off I just have a huge supply of them so I haven’t went to buy regular bulbs yet.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I can try taking a video tomorrow. Humidity is 40%. I use exoterra basking bulbs, I know they’re a rip off I just have a huge supply of them so I haven’t went to buy regular bulbs yet.
Ok so you have good basking bulbs humidity if fine-- I see a gauge on the back wall is that a humidity/ temp gauge? If so please invest in 2 digital probe thermometers - you want surface basking temps - they are the most accurate - the UVB needs to be 8-10 inches directly above him -- what is the distance it is now? With all this correctly in place along w/ temps it should be good -- what kind of substrate are you looking to get?
Is there any mucous coming from his nose or mouth - is it clicking noises or just exhaling your hearing?

Dragonfury866

Original Poster
Ok so you have good basking bulbs humidity if fine-- I see a gauge on the back wall is that a humidity/ temp gauge? If so please invest in 2 digital probe thermometers - you want surface basking temps - they are the most accurate - the UVB needs to be 8-10 inches directly above him -- what is the distance it is now? With all this correctly in place along w/ temps it should be good -- what kind of substrate are you looking to get?
Is there any mucous coming from his nose or mouth - is it clicking noises or just exhaling your hearing?
There’s no clicking noises, just deep inhaling. The UVB is 8 inches away, I use infrared thermometer to measure temps. I’m not sure what type of substrate to get because I’ve used so many different kinds in the past and they all have negatives. Maybe tile.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
There’s no clicking noises, just deep inhaling. The UVB is 8 inches away, I use infrared thermometer to measure temps. I’m not sure what type of substrate to get because I’ve used so many different kinds in the past and they all have negatives. Maybe tile.
Tile has negatives as well -- hard on the dragons joints but if you have enough decor for them to get off of it then I dont think is so bad- have you tried textured NON adhesive shelf liner? Is the screen a fine mesh?

Dragonfury866

Original Poster
What substrate would you recommend? I’ve used liner before but I didn’t really like it because it was hard to clean. The mesh isn’t fine, it’s wide holed.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What substrate would you recommend? I’ve used liner before but I didn’t really like it because it was hard to clean. The mesh isn’t fine, it’s wide holed.
Ok make sure the distance is 8-10 inches directly above the decor piece ---that is the first I have heard of people saying the shelf liner was too hard to clean - usually vinegar/ water 50/50 in a spray bottle would clean it right up- that is what I am using on my tiles in the tank - they are a textured slated ceramic tile and clean up really good -

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pooper
Top Bottom