Beardie lost appetite?

Lyrebird.Rainwing

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Swordtail
My bearded dragon Swordtail seems to have completely lost interest in crickets and worms and I have no idea why! He seems fine other than that, he's active, he isn't lethargic, he isn't too thin, he seems normal but I'm just confused on why all of a sudden he doesn't want to eat. Help!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My bearded dragon Swordtail seems to have completely lost interest in crickets and worms and I have no idea why! He seems fine other than that, he's active, he isn't lethargic, he isn't too thin, he seems normal but I'm just confused on why all of a sudden he doesn't want to eat. Help!
Is he eating salad? He may be tired of crickets and the worms-- what kind of worms are you feeding- also your UVB and your surface basking temps play a huge role in the eating- please go over the UVB coil or a long tube fixture and how your taking the surface basking temps- stick ons are inaccurate - you need a digital probe thermometer

Lyrebird.Rainwing

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Swordtail
I have tried to put thermometers in his enclosure before, oddly enough all of them didn't work and I have no idea why.
Also he gets a fresh salad every other day, infact he has a fresh salad right now

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have tried to put thermometers in his enclosure before, oddly enough all of them didn't work and I have no idea why.
Also he gets a fresh salad every other day, infact he has a fresh salad right now
What kind of thermometers? Most use these Zoo Med Reptile Terrarium Digital Thermometer | reptile Humidity & Temperature Control | PetSmart
You also what a digital probe hygrometer something like this
Exo Terra Digital Hygrometer | Dubia.com
Your dragon will not eat w/ out proper surface basking temps and correct UVB

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Well the thing is, I have had him for a while now and like 2 days ago he was eating fine
Temps in the tank are crucial to the health of the dragon- along w/ UVB -- it can take years for it to start showing effects but it will eventually catch up to them -- please adjust your dragon will get sick or is getting sick -- you didnt say what you were using for a UVB--- coils are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health issues - they cannot absorb / synthesize the calcium they are getting --

Lyrebird.Rainwing

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Swordtail
Update: I think he might of eaten something, I checked on him and he was laying on his hammock with what I think was a cricket antenna sticking out of his mouth

Jjurovaty

Photo Comp Winner
How old is he? Is he due to shed? My baby is only going on 5 months but its not my first, and I've noticed a little break in appetite when he's working on shedding. Also, similar to human children, they go through phases where they want and need a variation of food. Try new things, different fruits or veggies to keep them entertained. You wouldn't just want to eat chicken every day, and they don't just want crickets! Keep us updated

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

As suggested, they do go through eating phases where they want other things & just wont eat anything
you put out for them.
Keep rotating his foods if possible to see if you can find something he likes.
Shedding, temperatures, etc can affect their appetites. Have you double checked all of temperatures in
his tank again to be sure they are good?
The best thermometers are the temp guns or the digital probe types that actually have a probe you can
place on & around the basking area.

Tracie

Lyrebird.Rainwing

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Swordtail
Another update: might also be because of breeding season? I know he is a bit young but he has been running around alot more lately and was bobbing his head at the plastic beardie in his enclosure

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is very possible, they can hit puberty at 6 or 7 months so the hormonal levels
will go up. What is his age?
Black bearding & head bobbing is definitely a sign of breeding or hormonal increase.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

Lyrebird.Rainwing

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Swordtail
Hello,

That is very possible, they can hit puberty at 6 or 7 months so the hormonal levels
will go up. What is his age?
Black bearding & head bobbing is definitely a sign of breeding or hormonal increase.
How is he doing today?

Tracie
He is around 10 months old, his hatchday is in June.
I have been hand feeding him and giving him bug juice through a syringe and he seems to be doing well

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Excellent, it sounds like he is starting to really improve now~!
Feel free to post pictures anytime.

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom