Beardie losing mobility in all legs

Kpreb

Original Poster
Please get rid of the coil UVB -- its doing nothing for her --- the enclosure you have needs a 36" Arcadia Pro T 5 14% bulb - w/ the height of the enclosure the distance for this UVB would be 17-18 inches directly above her basking decor -- if your using the second floor----- what is the height of the enclosure w/ her on one floor now? I may haft to recommend a different fixture length and bulb ---- the one I posted is a real strong bulb and requires a height of 24" enclosure ---
The floor she’s on now is about 32 inches from top to bottom in height. It sounds like the bulb you recommended should do the job then, right? Also, thank you so much for the suggestion. We are going to look into getting this bulb unless you feel there’s a better one she might do well with. We just want whatever is best for her!

Kpreb

Original Poster
I agree with Karrieree, I had a similar habitat for my first beardie, i didn't understand back then how critical the type of bulb used is. I made the same mistake of using the coil type bulbs. I had no end of problems with her. I eventually learned what i was doing wrong ( mostly from this very site). When i corrected her uvb and basking it seemed like overnight things got better. If you live in a place where you can take her outside, even 30 minutes of natural sunlight per day will be beneficial. I bet if you give her calcium daily for a bit combined with natural sun you'll see improvement within a couple weeks.
Where we’ll be going on vacation there should be plenty of sun for her. However, I’ve read online that bearded dragons should not go outdoors if humidity is above 60%. If the humidity is going to be high the entire time we are on vacation (which it more than likely is going to be), should I even bring her outside? Or do you think being outside for as long as you mentioned will be alright for her even with high humidity? I just don’t want to risk anything else that might poorly affect her…We’re looking into new bulbs right now though!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I think their top end humidity is 70% but i think optimal is 30 to 50% but even if its super high 30 to 45 minutes at a time she should be ok. Just keep an eye on her. If the sun seems to much bring her back inside. Mine will tolerate the morning sun for a couple hours but at mid day or in the evening about 10 to 15 minutes they start looking for shade, but i live in las vegas and the sun here is very intense.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The floor she’s on now is about 32 inches from top to bottom in height. It sounds like the bulb you recommended should do the job then, right? Also, thank you so much for the suggestion. We are going to look into getting this bulb unless you feel there’s a better one she might do well with. We just want whatever is best for her!
You want distance for that 14% bulb 17-18 inches --- inside the tank

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing today?
As Karrie suggests, please try to get the lighting adjusted so she can start recovering.
Once you are done adjusting your lighting, definitely post new pictures of the tank for
us so we can see the new lighting arrangement.

Tracie

Kpreb

Original Poster
Hello,

How is your girl doing today?
As Karrie suggests, please try to get the lighting adjusted so she can start recovering.
Once you are done adjusting your lighting, definitely post new pictures of the tank for
us so we can see the new lighting arrangement.

Tracie
Good morning-

Here’s the light we got her. And here’s a pic of her in the sun this morning. Notice how swollen her legs are? I can post pics of her enclosure at our house when we get home from vacation. Currently we have her in this tank until we get back home.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• 173B60AB-00AF-431E-8F41-47118AB01CC3.jpeg
    173B60AB-00AF-431E-8F41-47118AB01CC3.jpeg
    275.7 KB · Views: 86
  • A1C80752-5FED-4261-9C83-E5FDCBAFF4BE.jpeg
    A1C80752-5FED-4261-9C83-E5FDCBAFF4BE.jpeg
    422.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 6B7C6E39-DFF8-4D5E-9F8C-534F49B2BDD0.jpeg
    6B7C6E39-DFF8-4D5E-9F8C-534F49B2BDD0.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 82

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Good morning-

Here’s the light we got her. And here’s a pic of her in the sun this morning. Notice how swollen her legs are? I can post pics of her enclosure at our house when we get home from vacation. Currently we have her in this tank until we get back home.

Thanks!!
Ok the UVB Zilla is ok but its not doing any good on top of the screen --- its a T 8 and if the cover is still on the fixture shes getting NO UVB at all ---- I would change out the bulb for a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 please take the cover off the fixture leave it off and have the UVB fixture unobstructed --- NO screen --- you can set it width wise or vertical on the tank over the hammock so shes getting direct rays 6-8 inches --- T 8's are not strong enough to go thru screen

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
karrieree is correct . I still have a coulpe of those lights laying around they come with a clear plastic lens over the bulb. That lens blocks 100% of the uvb. You can remove it with a small Phillips screwdriver. ( I really can't understand with a company that is supposed to sell reptile supplies would do that, it's hard enough figuring everything out without them sabotaging us).

Kpreb

Original Poster
Ok the UVB Zilla is ok but its not doing any good on top of the screen --- its a T 8 and if the cover is still on the fixture shes getting NO UVB at all ---- I would change out the bulb for a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 please take the cover off the fixture leave it off and have the UVB fixture unobstructed --- NO screen --- you can set it width wise or vertical on the tank over the hammock so shes getting direct rays 6-8 inches --- T 8's are not strong enough to go thru screen
This is a temporary set up until Wednesday…. But in the mean time… I will move the screen aside half of the tank and turn the light sideways so it’s directly on her.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
This is a temporary set up until Wednesday…. But in the mean time… I will move the screen aside half of the tank and turn the light sideways so it’s directly on her.
And no clear plastic cover please take it off

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is she doing, I do see the swelling & puffiness in her wrist especially.
While it could be low calcium issues & poor UVB exposure, it appears to be developing
gout conditions. That can be caused by poor calcium absorption which is pseudo gout
& can be reversed if caught very early on.
If you can get her started on some black or tart cherry juice extract right now, to help begin
to break up any uric acid crystals, etc that will jump start her system. She may need to get
started on gout meds, if it doesn't come down pretty soon.

Tracie

Kpreb

Original Poster
Hello,

How is she doing, I do see the swelling & puffiness in her wrist especially.
While it could be low calcium issues & poor UVB exposure, it appears to be developing
gout conditions. That can be caused by poor calcium absorption which is pseudo gout
& can be reversed if caught very early on.
If you can get her started on some black or tart cherry juice extract right now, to help begin
to break up any uric acid crystals, etc that will jump start her system. She may need to get
started on gout meds, if it doesn't come down pretty soon.

Tracie
All I can find is tart Cherry juice. That’s not the same as extract. Can she have the juice? And how much?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That will be fine, you can use tart cherry juice, no problem.
Simply give .5ml to 1ml, daily right now.
How is she doing today?

Tracie

Kpreb

Original Poster
Hello,

That will be fine, you can use tart cherry juice, no problem.
Simply give .5ml to 1ml, daily right now.
How is she doing today?

Tracie
The swelling is on and off in her arms despite getting her a new lamp and basking her in the sun. She has very little appetite and is only eating a little bit of food every other day. Thank you for confirming that the juice will be okay to give her.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom