Beardie jumping

Moxxie1122

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Moxxie
My 4-month-old male beardie has been jumping off my hand and off of high places around the house. table. couch. my shirt. you name it. I don't know what to do to stop him. he's so far okay but I'm worried he'll break a bone or give himself brain damage. I'm thinking of getting a bearded dragon sling. so if you have any good links for those let me know. or any help/advice is welcome

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My 4-month-old male beardie has been jumping off my hand and off of high places around the house. table. couch. my shirt. you name it. I don't know what to do to stop him. he's so far okay but I'm worried he'll break a bone or give himself brain damage. I'm thinking of getting a bearded dragon sling. so if you have any good links for those let me know. or any help/advice is welcome
Yes please no more jumping - I would leave him in the tank for now and let him acclimate to his tank and surroundings - the best way to transport him is to have him on your chest w/ your hand over his back - that way he cannot jump -

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
My baby girl around the same age is the same way. When she gets antsy and start the leaping and jumping she goes back in her cage. She mainly leaps from sofa to sofa or from my lap to my chest. I don’t want her getting seriously hurt so to the cage she goes.

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
Mine started doing this for a bit. He especially liked jumping down from his tank to the floor when I would let him out. It's about 18" onto carpet but still freaked me out. I started training him to use my hand as a kind of elevator and now he comes out and waits for me to put it there and lower him down.

Moxxie1122

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Moxxie
My baby girl around the same age is the same way. When she gets antsy and start the leaping and jumping she goes back in her cage. She mainly leaps from sofa to sofa or from my lap to my chest. I don’t want her getting seriously hurt so to the cage she goes.
Mine started doing this for a bit. He especially liked jumping down from his tank to the floor when I would let him out. It's about 18" onto carpet but still freaked me out. I started training him to use my hand as a kind of elevator and now he comes out and waits for me to put it there and lower him down.
mine does it to explore i believe. he's a runner and loves to explore. may I ask how you trained yours to use it as an elevator?

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
mine does it to explore i believe. he's a runner and loves to explore. may I ask how you trained yours to use it as an elevator?
As soon as I opened his door I would put my hand flat in front of him so he would step out on it. Then I lowered it quick before he could jump off. He still tried to jump off but I could get him at least halfway down before he did. Eventually he just got used to that being the way it was done. He went through a period where he was jumping from my bed to my nightstand, from his cage to the floor, his cage to another little table nearby. A lot like yours, just exploring everything. Part of why he doesn't get to go on my bed very often anymore. Now he's decided he likes having a trained human to act as an elevator and prefers to mostly jump up to get in his hammock.

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
No. Mines doesn’t try to jump out the actual cage. It’s when she actually out.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom