Beardie irritated by smoke

maias_creatures

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rosie
It is extremely smoky where I live in Northern Nevada right now because of California wildfires. We do our best to close up the house and keep the air clean inside but there’s only so much we can do, and my beardie seems to be experiencing a lot of irritation because of it. He is doing the cough/sneeze that lizards do when they have RIs, and his eyes have some liquid discharge and redness. He has had some degree of black beard ever since the smoke rolled in. I hate seeing him uncomfortable like this, but we can’t get in to see any vet outside of the exotic ER for at least 3 weeks, and since I don’t think this is an emergency (?) I would appreciate any tips on helping him feel comfortable in the meantime.
He is a 3 year old male, otherwise healthy. Would be happy to provide info about diet/enclosure and any pics.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It is extremely smoky where I live in Northern Nevada right now because of California wildfires. We do our best to close up the house and keep the air clean inside but there’s only so much we can do, and my beardie seems to be experiencing a lot of irritation because of it. He is doing the cough/sneeze that lizards do when they have RIs, and his eyes have some liquid discharge and redness. He has had some degree of black beard ever since the smoke rolled in. I hate seeing him uncomfortable like this, but we can’t get in to see any vet outside of the exotic ER for at least 3 weeks, and since I don’t think this is an emergency (?) I would appreciate any tips on helping him feel comfortable in the meantime.
He is a 3 year old male, otherwise healthy. Would be happy to provide info about diet/enclosure and any pics.
@Claudiusx

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you can, pick up a room air purifier. And if you can, keep the tank in a bedroom or such where you can keep the door shut so that the purifier can keep the air clean.

No point in trying to treat the symptoms if the cause is still around, got to get the air clean for him. Beardies have very sensitive lungs, so any irritants in the air are really going to affect them.

-Brandon

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I would also put towels under the door as well, try to make it as smoke free as possible. You can get purifiers that are desinged to help remove smoke.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom