Beardie hasnt pooped in 3 weeks

Hello, my girl Drako who is around 17 months old has not pooped in 3 weeks almost 4 and she's trying to brumate. She has also stopped eating about 2 weeks ago. I've been monitoring her weight and she is consistently staying the same weight, 602g. I have been taking her out of her hiding spot because I want her to poop before she goes into brumation. I've given her baths everyday, tummy massages, baby food prunes with olive oil and still nothing. Should I make her a vet appointment, should I let her brumate? She acts normal when she's out of her enclosure, rums around, no lumps on her belly or spine and all legs are working normal and no black beard. She is in a 120g enclosure with an arcadia 12% t5, basking area is 100-105f. Please help, if I need to bring her to the vet then I will but obviously would like to avoid it if at all possible. Thank you!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello, my girl Drako who is around 17 months old has not pooped in 3 weeks almost 4 and she's trying to brumate. She has also stopped eating about 2 weeks ago. I've been monitoring her weight and she is consistently staying the same weight, 602g. I have been taking her out of her hiding spot because I want her to poop before she goes into brumation. I've given her baths everyday, tummy massages, baby food prunes with olive oil and still nothing. Should I make her a vet appointment, should I let her brumate? She acts normal when she's out of her enclosure, rums around, no lumps on her belly or spine and all legs are working normal and no black beard. She is in a 120g enclosure with an arcadia 12% t5, basking area is 100-105f. Please help, if I need to bring her to the vet then I will but obviously would like to avoid it if at all possible. Thank you!
Let her go on her own--- she will go eventually go her feeding the prunes -- the vet will do a enema and you DO NOT WANT that-- you can add some plain canned pumpkin w/ a little olive oil or unsweetened applesauce or baby food pumpkin but let her go on her own

Drakodragon8

Original Poster
Let her go on her own--- she will go eventually go her feeding the prunes -- the vet will do a enema and you DO NOT WANT that-- you can add some plain canned pumpkin w/ a little olive oil or unsweetened applesauce or baby food pumpkin but let her go on her own
Thanks. I just picked up a can of pumpkin so I'll try that in the morning after she's warmed up. Her normal pooping schedule is like 1 maybe 2 times every 2 weeks, I forgot to add that to the original post.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You generally don't need to se a final poo before they go in to brumation. My dragons have always chosen when they want to do the bog sleep and I just let them. They generally know what they are doing and are fine . The only exceptions are ill or underweight dragons, they should be monitored carefully.

Drakodragon8

Original Poster
You generally don't need to se a final poo before they go in to brumation. My dragons have always chosen when they want to do the bog sleep and I just let them. They generally know what they are doing and are fine . The only exceptions are ill or underweight dragons, they should be monitored carefully.
Thank you for getting back to me. So I should just leave her be and know she knows what she's doing? She's definitely not underweight or acting sick in any way. Now I feel bad for disturbing her so much. Everything I've read online made it seem that they needed to poo before brumation or the food would rot and it could kill her so that was my main worry.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I don't think there is clinical proof of that [ food rotting ] to my knowledge, none that could be found anywhere. My dragons just woke up within a day of each other after 2 or so months and came out of their sleeping spots. I offered them water, they both drank and one of them ate 3 superworms, the other ate 2. I don't offer more than that because they don't need the energy but at the same time if they want a very small meal it seems to be fine. Now they're back to sleep but I suspect they'll pop up again in a week or 2 now that they've slept for a couple of months. That's usually about how my dragons brumate but others go through it differently.

Drakodragon8

Original Poster
I don't think there is clinical proof of that [ food rotting ] to my knowledge, none that could be found anywhere. My dragons just woke up within a day of each other after 2 or so months and came out of their sleeping spots. I offered them water, they both drank and one of them ate 3 superworms, the other ate 2. I don't offer more than that because they don't need the energy but at the same time if they want a very small meal it seems to be fine. Now they're back to sleep but I suspect they'll pop up again in a week or 2 now that they've slept for a couple of months. That's usually about how my dragons brumate but others go through it differently.
Ok, im just going to leave the poor girl alone and let her dictate what she does instead of forcing it on her. Do u turn your temps down while they're sleeping or just keep it the same as normal? She tends to like to lay under her basking area on the hot side instead of the cave areas on her cool side so I'm wondering if she prefers the warmth while still being in a dark area?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I used to turn all lights + heat off for the entire time and they would sleep through for months but since my boys are old now I keep the lights on during the day for about 12 hrs. but turn them off at night and the temps. drops to about 63. Drako should be fine if you want to keep lights on during the day but turn them off at night but some people still turn all light + heat off both day + night and their dragons are fine.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom