Beardie has lump in his mouth, vet was clueless

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaiyla

My 7 year old dragon, SeaHorn, developed a hard, little bump on the left side of his jaw. I pulled down his gum-line, and saw a fleshy bump (kind of looks like the top of a cauliflower) in his mouth, on his gums. I took him to the vet but he did not now what it was though. Said it could be an injury of sort, something viral, or a tumor -benign or malignant He said that he could cut it off, and send it to the lab for biopsy results. My dragon was freaking out with the vet holding him down. I felt so bad of him. I did not want to put SeaHorn through any unnecessary pain, so I opted for the path of least resistance first -a round of antibiotics. I am currently unemployed and am terrified these bills could push me more into financial ruin. Unfortunately though, the vet did not seem enthusiastic or hopeful about the antibiotics. However SeaHorn has a healthy appetite, is of a healthy weight, and is active. Perhaps if any of the above were poor, I would have opted to biopsy. I don't know if I made the right decision though. The vet said I could take him back if I change my mind and decide to biopsy it.

I have been watching SeaHorn closely and the "plaque" hasn't grown/shrunk since last week. I just wish I knew what this thing was. Is it mouth rot? I have enclosed pictures. Any input is so greatly appreciated.

My bearded dragon's set-up's:
40 gallon aquariums
Zoo Med 10.0 fluorescent bulbs, changed every 6 months
95 watt bulbs for basking -temps around 96 degrees in basking spot
Paper towels for bottom of the cage.

kaiyla

Original Poster
The little fleshy bump is on his right hand-side, in his mouth, about halfway up his gum-line:

[img]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p194/nebulonstyle/DSC01109.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p194/nebulonstyle/DSC01113.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p194/nebulonstyle/DSC01117.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p194/nebulonstyle/DSC01118.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p194/nebulonstyle/DSC01121.jpg[/img] (the last one is SeaHorn just being happy and basking).

Can anyone help me guess what this is? Should I go back and have it biopsied or should I just wait it out a bit longer. Please advise. Much thanks.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hard to say exactly what to do. One thing you could do is figure out approx. how much you can realistically afford... IF there is an operation that is recommended once the biopsy is done. Then you can decide whether to biopsy....because if you don't have the means to pay for an operation, meds., etc., it may be best to wait it out and see if maybe a course of anti biotics helps. At his age, he may go down hill with a lot of aggressive treatment, some dragons do....but that's not to discourage you from making a choice, just one of the pro / con things to weigh. Maybe give a little time and just see if it becomes more infected looking in a week or month. Keep pictures to document every few days or week if there's any difference in size and how he behaves. I hope it's nothing serious !

kaiyla

Original Poster
Thank you AHBD. I hope it is nothing serious either. When he said it might possibly be a tumor, my hear totally sank. He did say that cancer was rare in bearded dragons. That gave me some hope.

I want to believe I made the right decision. I can always go back, if I didn't. Yes it'll dig me deeper into debt, but he's my baby. So yeah, any other thoughts on what this thing is, and what y'all would do, is definitely helpful.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Your'e welcome....Just curious, did your vet mention possible mouth rot ? Is the vet experienced at all with reptiles ? If it's the beginning of mouth rot, there are treatments available, but you would want the vet to be familiar with the condition.

kaiyla

Original Poster
I was thinking mouth rot, too. The vet did not say anything about that though. This particular vet has never really "wowed" me. I researched intensely and found the most similar stories to this to indeed be mouth rot. The good news is that the anti-biotic that he gave me is one that treats mouth rot.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Some other things to do since he may have a little infection, be sure his temps. are good....about 105 basking spot, no less than 80 on cool side. Make sure he eats well and gets calcium 2-3 times a week on his food. And get a pro-biotic [ like Acidophiliz + or Nutri bac or Bene bac] to balance the gut flora that the anti biotic destroys.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Some stores carry them,[ most pet stores have benebac] or you can order from Bug -de lite or Beautiful dragons. They have dosage charts as well I believe.

RinsReptiles

Hi kaiyla,

I don't really have any advice for you but I saw you mention LLL Reptile. Do you live in San Diego? If so I can recommend an amazing vet who might be able to help you out....

kaiyla

Original Poster
I live in L.A. However, I am willing to take the info just in case. I'd go a distance for these guys if the vet were totally worth it. I've yet to find a good one here in L.A.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That looks like it could be a tumor of some type, just based on the appearance. How long has it been there for?
Which antibiotic did he prescribe for him? I would try the antibiotic for him first to see if will affect the growth & possibly improve it right now since surgery is so expensive.
It definitely does not look like mouth rot though!
How is his appetite?
He is a nice looking dragon, too.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom