Beardie has growing black spot on chin, scales soft & flaky. Any ideas?

JCB

Hey there! My brother's bearded dragon has recently developed a spot on his chin that has grown over the past few weeks. It started as a lightly discolored line of scales right along a crease in his face, but after trying to remove the scales (thinking it was stuck shed), it just revealed this pitch black skin.
IMG_0263 (2).JPG

Phil (the dragon) doesn't seem to mind us touching or even lightly pinching it, so it clearly isn't causing him pain, however it has been growing at a consistent pace and more scales have fallen off. There are no scales on the area anymore. While we were taking photos, my brother found another black spot on the lizard's tail that appears to be limited to just one scale.
Any input is much appreciated. Phil is healthy and active, he's fed the proper amounts and has proper basking temps as well, we really are at a loss.
Thank you all and God bless!

Attachments

• IMG_0264 (2).JPG
    IMG_0264 (2).JPG
    224.8 KB · Views: 75

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey there! My brother's bearded dragon has recently developed a spot on his chin that has grown over the past few weeks. It started as a lightly discolored line of scales right along a crease in his face, but after trying to remove the scales (thinking it was stuck shed), it just revealed this pitch black skin.
View attachment 71410

Phil (the dragon) doesn't seem to mind us touching or even lightly pinching it, so it clearly isn't causing him pain, however it has been growing at a consistent pace and more scales have fallen off. There are no scales on the area anymore. While we were taking photos, my brother found another black spot on the lizard's tail that appears to be limited to just one scale.
Any input is much appreciated. Phil is healthy and active, he's fed the proper amounts and has proper basking temps as well, we really are at a loss.
Please get him into a reptile vet so they test it to see what it is-- I am gonna have someone else look at it
@AHBD
@Drache613

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Do you have pics when it first started ? How did you remove the scales ? I know that you didn't realize it but you can never pull scales off of a beardie or most any reptile. Have a qualified reptile vet see him, in the meantime you can use some raw honey [ unpasteurized ] on it. Mix the honey with a tiny bit of lukewarm water and apply it. Make sure there are no loose insects anywhere in the tank.

JCB

Original Poster
Do you have pics when it first started ? How did you remove the scales ? I know that you didn't realize it but you can never pull scales off of a beardie or most any reptile. Have a qualified reptile vet see him, in the meantime you can use some raw honey [ unpasteurized ] on it. Mix the honey with a tiny bit of lukewarm water and apply it. Make sure there are no loose insects anywhere in the tank.
I do not have any pics from when it started, no. It was just a small strip of maybe 8-10 scales that were a bit shrunken. We didn't think much at first because we had been removing a good deal of stuck shed at the time, so we thought the scale were just stuck shed. We've been keeping reptiles since we were kids, so we know that scales are meant to attach firmly. I'm almost positive that we have some Manuka honey somewhere, if not our dad raises bees so we have access to some good quality stuff.
We are going to try and find a decent vet in our area, thank you! Luckily our other lizards (another beardie, 2 chameleons, bluey) are doing great, but I would hate for that to change and not have a way to help them.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I do not have any pics from when it started, no. It was just a small strip of maybe 8-10 scales that were a bit shrunken. We didn't think much at first because we had been removing a good deal of stuck shed at the time, so we thought the scale were just stuck shed. We've been keeping reptiles since we were kids, so we know that scales are meant to attach firmly. I'm almost positive that we have some Manuka honey somewhere, if not our dad raises bees so we have access to some good quality stuff.
We are going to try and find a decent vet in our area, thank you! Luckily our other lizards (another beardie, 2 chameleons, bluey) are doing great, but I would hate for that to change and not have a way to help them.
www.arav.org
Type in a bigger cities zip code closest to you if you live in a small town

Sweetie_Cheeks

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Echo-Lina
View attachment 71410

Any input is much appreciated. Phil is healthy and active, he's fed the
proper amounts and has proper basking temps as well, we really are at a loss.
I know this post is super old but I’ve been searching nonstop for answers and you described exactly what’s happening to my girl currently. She has the stripe on her chin and now all of a sudden a couple of days ago her tail is covered with scales seemingly turning black by the minute. I also had to assist her with severely stuck shed (several layers) after having taken her to the vet several times and every single one looked at me like I was delusional and kept telling me her skin was fine. So I ended up helping her myself about 2-3 weeks ago and initially right after: her skin was beautifully healthy again and then here we are back to the skin issues and idk what’s happening to her skin and why the black spots have all of a sudden shown up?? Did you ever find out what it was? How’s your guy doing now? I really hope you see this message and reply.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, go to the top of this forum [ health ] The top line is there to start a new thread, just type in your subject.

Sweetie_Cheeks

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Echo-Lina
O.K, go to the top of this forum [ health ] The top line is there to start a new thread, just type in your subject.
I posted it but I’m not sure where it’s posted to. Idk why I find it so hard to navigate this forum compared to all others. But hopefully you can see it.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom