Beardie has a case of the diarrheas... colloidal silver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Today marks day two of my baby beardie having diarrhea. Yesterday the poo was soft, solidish with some runs and today it was straight diarrhea. Very smelly too...and he normally poops in the afternoon but today was early morning so the poor guy is struggling. I was thinking of giving him some colloidal silver but wasn't sure how much to give. Anyone have an idea of how much? I wish I could weigh him but we dont have a scale. He's 4 months old and Ill attach a picture so you can get an idea of his size. Even an estimate would be helpful so I could gauge where Im at. Thanks in advance!

And of course if this continues Ill be heading for the vet asap but Im hoping I can help in the mean time. Ill be giving lots of baths to keep him hydrated.

full

Thanks,
Brett and Mo

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What is causing the diarrhea? Have you had a fecal done on him yet to determine worms or
coccidia? What types of foods are you feeding him?
What strength is the colloidal silver & what is your baby's weight currently?
The amount given depends on the strength of the colloidal silver. Since he is having such
loose stools, it is imperative to keep him hydrated to avoid dehydration in him.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Bretter0725

Original Poster
Well he hasn't exactly had any diet changes and I feel he has a fairly good diet. He eats 20-40 small crickets a day and a small serving of leafy greens (usually mustard greens or dandelion greens). Occasionally Ill put 4 small pieces of beardie friendly fruit in his salad. He'll also have maybe 5 mealworms throughout the whole week as hand food. He's still active and chasing crickets and running around my bed when I play with him.

I havent done a fecal test yet because it costs $100 (they require an initial visit as well). Ill obviously pay this if necessary Im just hoping it wont happen again tomorrow. If it does Ill pay and figure it out. Ill give him baths today to ensure hydration.

My colloidal says 10 ppm/ 4 fl oz/118mL. As for his weight I couldnt tell yuh I dont have a scale. He seems to be growing though and hes not skinny looking. He's around 4 months old.

I hope this helps! Thanks for your help as well

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If he is still a youngster, the 10ppm strength is fine. You can just give .5ml daily for a week
or so. That should help give an antibacterial/antimicrobial effect for him.
That is quite a bit just to get a fecal, I understand. If his stool doesn't firm up soon though,
you should definitely consider it.
Are his temperatures optimal for him?

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Put him inside a small (1L or so) clikclak Tupperware style tub and then weigh him …. be sure to zero the kitchen scales first …. empty tub = 0 g.

I'd be very reluctant and worried about dosing a very small dragon with any medication without first weighing the dragon …. many medications require dosing based on the body mass of the animal and it's very very easy to overdose if you are guessing.

Read : regarding toxicity of colloidal silver https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/60ee/719187f7495c091fd57a90d6175b95733a44.pdf

I STRONGLY SUGGEST
> take poo sample to a vet for checking …. any vet will do floats.
> check diet …. and the diet of the feeder insects too …. very likely this is due to dietary issues and will resolve itself with a diet change.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today? I hope he is feeling better. Keep us posted on his progress.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom