Beardie had seizure

Hi sorry to bother
My partners beardie has not been his usual self last few days and when I attempt to feed him tonight he appeared to have what was a seizure
His head when back, black bearded, mouth open and then flipped over onto his back. My partner picked him up and he calmed down around a minute later.
My partner is now trying to contact local exotic vet
He has been eating, drinking and pooping fine. Is there anything we can do in the mean time to help him while we wait for vets
Any help is appreciated, thank you

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi sorry to bother
My partners beardie has not been his usual self last few days and when I attempt to feed him tonight he appeared to have what was a seizure
His head when back, black bearded, mouth open and then flipped over onto his back. My partner picked him up and he calmed down around a minute later.
My partner is now trying to contact local exotic vet
He has been eating, drinking and pooping fine. Is there anything we can do in the mean time to help him while we wait for vets
Any help is appreciated, thank you
Please go over your uvb - coil or tube? What are your surface basking temps-- and how are you taking them?

Original Poster
Please go over your uvb - coil or tube? What are your surface basking temps-- and how are you taking them?
Hi, sorry I'll have to text my partner and get back to you. Im not in same home to look sorry. I know its a tube but unsure of temps

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi, sorry I'll have to text my partner and get back to you. Im not in same home to look sorry. I know its a tube but unsure of temps
Ok please find out brand and bulb and where in the tank? Top of screen or inside and how old is the bulb--

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
brand is arcadia I believe and was replaced just over week ago. Its on inside
Ok what strength? 12-14-6-10? Can you post pics of the tank and lighting - I would recommend getting him into a reptile vet
www.arav.org
If your in a small area type in the biggest cities zip code

Original Poster
He's been to the vets, he's has a respiratory infection and is on antibiotics. Waiting for blood test results to come back also, hoping he improves next few days

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He's been to the vets, he's has a respiratory infection and is on antibiotics. Waiting for blood test results to come back also, hoping he improves next few days
What are your basking temps and how are you taking them along w/ the bulb of the UVB -- your dragon needs these to be correct for him to fight the RI --- what is the humidity in the tank?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your boy doing? Which antibiotic is he on for his respiratory infection?
If possible, try to keep him around 75-80F or so, overnight, to help boost his immune system
while he isn't 100%.
Have you been able to measure the humidity in the tank, by chance?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Original Poster
Hello,

How is your boy doing? Which antibiotic is he on for his respiratory infection?
If possible, try to keep him around 75-80F or so, overnight, to help boost his immune system
while he isn't 100%.
Have you been able to measure the humidity in the tank, by chance?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie
Hi, thank you for the reply.
His seizures have calmed down, I'm not sure on what the name of the antibiotic is but it needs to be kept in fridge and is injected every 3 days if that's any help.
We also got give some reptoboost to Bathe him in and some critical care forumala as he hasn't been eating food as much and we've also got liquid calcium to add to water.
His basking temp is 33c i think my partner said, can't remember other temp but can confirm with him later today.
Still waiting on the vets to call regarding the blood test results. Still very worried about him as vet said bloods may come back with nothing and could be a tumour which is causing the seizures since they came on so sudden.
The person we got him off had always turned his lights off at night so we've done the same, sorry for the silly question but how do we keep it warm at night? Thanks

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
The person we got him off had always turned his lights off at night so we've done the same, sorry for the silly question but how do we keep it warm at night? Thanks
they like it cool and dark at night so turning the lights off at night is good. most people i've seen on here have their lights on a 12 hour on/12 hour off cycle. timers are great for this.

i keep my temps at night by keeping my house thermostat at 66°F. That usually has the temps at about 70°F in the morning. if it were to go lower than 65°F, i have a ceramic heat emitter to keep the temps up. it gives off heat but not light. when they are sick, it is better to keep their night temps higher as tracie suggested. so your options are to keep the room hotter or get a ceramic heat emitter with a thermostat.

it is helpful to have digital probe thermometers in your enclosure. they have a setting that you can use to tell you your highest and lowest temperatures to evaluate your temps at night. they are most accurate as far as readings go versus stick-on gauges or IR guns.

Original Poster
Hi
Vets just called and his bloods are normal . She said the respiratory infection may be causing the seizures but if he doesn't get better after the course of antibiotics she said it may be a brain tumour which is causing them.
Hoping the course of antibiotics help.
Thanks for comments

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi
Vets just called and his bloods are normal . She said the respiratory infection may be causing the seizures but if he doesn't get better after the course of antibiotics she said it may be a brain tumour which is causing them.
Hoping the course of antibiotics help.
Thanks for comments
Please get your UVB and your basking temps set up correctly - this is going to help the dragon --

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom