Beardie glass surfing like crazy

Hey everyone, I've had my beardie for about 8 1/2 months now, she's about 10 months old. Recently she has been glass surfing almost constantly and I cant figure out why. Her appetite has also been pretty low for the last 4 or so days. I've checked her temperature (basking spot is about 103F-105F and she has cooler places in her tank), her humidity (42%), and her UVB (which both her mercury vapor bulb and her uvb bulb are both still good). I was a bit concerned that she may be gravid, but I haven't felt any eggs or anything in her tummy. I've still been offering her dubias and wax/meal worms and her daily salad with some calcium powder. I got her to eat some watermelon and a piece or two of some mustard greens today, but it's the first she's eaten in a couple of days. I'm not really sure what's going on, but she seems to be pretty alert still. If anyone has any ideas or questions, please let me know!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey everyone, I've had my beardie for about 8 1/2 months now, she's about 10 months old. Recently she has been glass surfing almost constantly and I cant figure out why. Her appetite has also been pretty low for the last 4 or so days. I've checked her temperature (basking spot is about 103F-105F and she has cooler places in her tank), her humidity (42%), and her UVB (which both her mercury vapor bulb and her uvb bulb are both still good). I was a bit concerned that she may be gravid, but I haven't felt any eggs or anything in her tummy. I've still been offering her dubias and wax/meal worms and her daily salad with some calcium powder. I got her to eat some watermelon and a piece or two of some mustard greens today, but it's the first she's eaten in a couple of days. I'm not really sure what's going on, but she seems to be pretty alert still. If anyone has any ideas or questions, please let me know!
Is she just glass surfing or is she doing any digging as well ? The UVB is placed where in the tank aid what brand and bulb are you using? What kind of MVB are you using? What are the basking temps and how are you taking them?

AllieA3280

Original Poster
Is she just glass surfing or is she doing any digging as well ? The UVB is placed where in the tank aid what brand and bulb are you using? What kind of MVB are you using? What are the basking temps and how are you taking them?
She's mostly glass surfing, but she has done a bit of digging. The UVB bulb is in a hood that covers 70% of her tank over the top. I'm using a Reptisun 10.0 UVB. The mercury vapor bulb is a Fluker's Sun Spot. Her basking temp is around 105F and i've been using the Zoo Med repti temp digital infrared thermometer.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
She's mostly glass surfing, but she has done a bit of digging. The UVB bulb is in a hood that covers 70% of her tank over the top. I'm using a Reptisun 10.0 UVB. The mercury vapor bulb is a Fluker's Sun Spot. Her basking temp is around 105F and i've been using the Zoo Med repti temp digital infrared thermometer.
Ok get some digital probe thermometers please and get accurate basking temps you want temps 95-100 for a juvie / adult - IR guns cant read off of certain basking materials and will throw temps off especially on hammocks - the Flukers Sun Spot could be causing the behavior - or the UVB as well --- so we need to figure out which one ---- first the screen on your tank is a fine mesh like a screen door ? or a wide hole type? Lets work on eliminating some of possible causes --

AllieA3280

Original Poster
Ok get some digital probe thermometers please and get accurate basking temps you want temps 95-100 for a juvie / adult - IR guns cant read off of certain basking materials and will throw temps off especially on hammocks - the Flukers Sun Spot could be causing the behavior - or the UVB as well --- so we need to figure out which one ---- first the screen on your tank is a fine mesh like a screen door ? or a wide hole type? Lets work on eliminating some of possible causes --
I have a digital probe thermometer for my crabs, with that the basking temp is 104.5. My lid isn't like a screen door, but is one of the ones with a wider hole. I purchased it at my local reptile shop. Both the mercury vapor bulb and the uvb are less than 6 months old. I also purchased a UV sensor to check the bulbs, and both are still good for UVB.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have a digital probe thermometer for my crabs, with that the basking temp is 104.5. My lid isn't like a screen door, but is one of the ones with a wider hole. I purchased it at my local reptile shop. Both the mercury vapor bulb and the uvb are less than 6 months old. I also purchased a UV sensor to check the bulbs, and both are still good for UVB.
The long tube UVB is a T 5 or a T 8? I would bring the surface basking temp down to 95-100 as they get older they dont like the real hot temps - the distance and placement is different from the two UVB bulbs

AllieA3280

Original Poster
The long tube UVB is a T 5 or a T 8? I would bring the surface basking temp down to 95-100 as they get older they dont like the real hot temps - the distance and placement is different from the two UVB bulbs
I believe I have the T5. I can try to lower the temp and see if that helps any.

AllieA3280

Original Poster
Look on the bulb itself it will tell you I dont want to give you wrong distance and placement
The bulb was already at a correct distance. I moved her basking spot down a bit, still within the correct distance, and now her basking temp is in the 90s. She is still glass surfing nearly constantly and refuses to eat. She's still pretty active other than her glass surfing. I'll probably give her another couple days before taking her to the vet to see what's wrong.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The bulb was already at a correct distance. I moved her basking spot down a bit, still within the correct distance, and now her basking temp is in the 90s. She is still glass surfing nearly constantly and refuses to eat. She's still pretty active other than her glass surfing. I'll probably give her another couple days before taking her to the vet to see what's wrong.
Is she gravid? Feel for eggs this is a common behavior for a female that's gravid - is she digging as well- what size tank? They will glass surf if the tank is too small

AllieA3280

Original Poster
Is she gravid? Feel for eggs this is a common behavior for a female that's gravid - is she digging as well- what size tank? They will glass surf if the tank is too small
As far as I can tell, she's not gravid. I've checked the last couple of days and I haven't felt any eggs. She's in a 55 gallon, and she's a bit on the smaller side. I'm working on getting her a bigger tank, I'm looking for good brands.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
As far as I can tell, she's not gravid. I've checked the last couple of days and I haven't felt any eggs. She's in a 55 gallon, and she's a bit on the smaller side. I'm working on getting her a bigger tank, I'm looking for good brands.
Ok we can help w/ that- do you let her out? If so how long and what is her behavior like after

fcooper

Hatchling Member
My guy tends to glass surf a LOT when he has to poop because like most beardies he doesn't like to go in his tank.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom