Beardie falling and dragging his back legs

Renemurphy86

Original Poster
My bearded dragon is almost six years old and a few months ago I noticed that he wasn’t moving around his cage like he use to. Recently he’s been falling off his basking log and I e found him in his cage laying on his back serval times. Also he seems to be dragging the back of his body when he walks. He eats fine and spends a lot of his time in his hammock. I’ve looked up some things online and it looks like with the balance issues and not using his back legs that it could be a nuro issue. Has anyone had any experience with these issues? Also should I change his cage set up to make it safer for him? I don’t want him hurting himself.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My bearded dragon is almost six years old and a few months ago I noticed that he wasn’t moving around his cage like he use to. Recently he’s been falling off his basking log and I e found him in his cage laying on his back serval times. Also he seems to be dragging the back of his body when he walks. He eats fine and spends a lot of his time in his hammock. I’ve looked up some things online and it looks like with the balance issues and not using his back legs that it could be a nuro issue. Has anyone had any experience with these issues? Also should I change his cage set up to make it safer for him? I don’t want him hurting himself.
Please lower the basking area --- what are you using for a UVB and where is it in the tank --

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is the 26 watt a Reptisun and is it on the screen? If so for now unobstruct it and have it directly over the basking decor piece 6-8 inches - how old is it? Then I recommend you get one of these
24" Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb please get this bulb 22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO or look at your local Pet Smart for this one
24 watt Arcadia ProT5 12% UVB Bulb With Hood
Please get him out in the sun for 15 min per day or longer sitting on you - sit out there for as long as you can depending on the heat - this is going to help - I am not fond of any coil UVB's and I am guessing hes lacking the calcium absorption from the UVB --- they are notorious for this do this till you get the UVB replaced
these fixtures I have recommended are not going to reverse what has happened here but its going to prevent it from getting any worse
when you get the UVB please post back on here and I will help you set it up for your tank - I am going to recommend you put it in the tank

Renemurphy86

Original Poster
This is his set up that’s he’s had for a couple years now. I replaced the dome light about a year ago. Not sure how long I’ve had the Iv light bulb.

Attachments

• 0EE3B08E-856E-4783-BF3E-1D071A61AC6F.jpeg
    0EE3B08E-856E-4783-BF3E-1D071A61AC6F.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 91

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
This is his set up that’s he’s had for a couple years now. I replaced the dome light about a year ago. Not sure how long I’ve had the Iv light bulb.
The uvb has long since expired your dragon has not been getting any uvb - I recommend you get him outside for some good uvb immediately - please order or go get the uvb I posted now - the dragon is not going to survive w/ out the things I posted above- a dragons health depends on correct surface basking temps-- 95-100-- correct uvb properly placed-and distanced - he's health is going to deteriorate also I recommend getting him off the sand - some textured NON adhesive shelf liner from your local home improvement store-or some slated ceramic tile-

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
This breaks my heart. Please do as Karrieree says.
Are you giving calcium and multivitamin? If not please do so.
Also please be careful of him falling on his back he will suffocate.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I'm sorry your dragon is having some trouble. As suggested, try to get his basking areas lower to
where he doesn't have to climb & hurt himself.
Since you aren't sure how long you have had your UVB light, we highly recommend getting ia new
UVB light.
He most likely has developed some calcium problems. If you aren't supplementing calcium, or not
very often he does need it several times weekly but right now, most likely 5 times weekly. I would
suggest getting some liquid calcium to help increase absorption for him.
Is he eating very much right now?

Tracie

Renemurphy86

Original Poster
Hello,

I'm sorry your dragon is having some trouble. As suggested, try to get his basking areas lower to
where he doesn't have to climb & hurt himself.
Since you aren't sure how long you have had your UVB light, we highly recommend getting ia new
UVB light.
He most likely has developed some calcium problems. If you aren't supplementing calcium, or not
very often he does need it several times weekly but right now, most likely 5 times weekly. I would
suggest getting some liquid calcium to help increase absorption for him.
Is he eating very much right now?

Tracie
Yea he eats great still, he just doesn’t move around his tank like he use too. He spends a lot of time in his hammock which is easier for him to get on.

Last edited:

Renemurphy86

Original Poster
I went to the pet store yesterday but unfortunately they didn’t have the light that was recommended so I ordered it online. Should have it Friday. I’ve been taking him outside in the sun everyday. He’s still about the same. I just feel so bad for him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I went to the pet store yesterday but unfortunately they didn’t have the light that was recommended so I ordered it online. Should have it Friday. I’ve been taking him outside in the sun everyday. He’s still about the same. I just feel so bad for him.
Ok sounds good keep up w/ the outside its good for him - hopefully he will start using the back legs again - what UVB did you order? When you get it please let me know I will help you get it set up for your tank - are you able to take the screen off?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I got the zoo med reptisun t5 Ho and yes the screen comes off. I’m trying to find a smaller basking spot for him. Do you have any suggestions?
You can use some rolled up dish towels so he can get up closer to the UVB and basking light- I think if you take the UVB place on one end of your tank going width wise and the screen butt it up to the UVB fixture so you have the basking and UVB in one area would be good - you want the UVB open above and the basking decor / towels directly under it 12-15 inches - make sure your getting a surface basking temp w/ a digital probe thermometer --

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom