BEARDIE FALL - PARALYZED?

Okay, my beardie is about a year and a half old and maybe two hours ago I witnessed her jump and like crack her back on the edge of my small dresser simultaneously she had her mouth wide open she was stiff and her scales were shaking her arms, legs & whole body went limp I didn't know what to do but give cpr in the best of my ability once she started to poop I thought rigermortis set in and I was ready to give up but I didn't I set her down on my stomach and eventually she opened her eyes right now she seems stable I got her looking out the window right now and I have maybe 4 to 5 hours before I can get her to the vet does anyone know anything if she'll be okay? Her spine maybe half an inch from her crown feels like there's a small gap

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Okay, my beardie is about a year and a half old and maybe two hours ago I witnessed her jump and like crack her back on the edge of my small dresser simultaneously she had her mouth wide open she was stiff and her scales were shaking her arms, legs & whole body went limp I didn't know what to do but give cpr in the best of my ability once she started to poop I thought rigermortis set in and I was ready to give up but I didn't I set her down on my stomach and eventually she opened her eyes right now she seems stable I got her looking out the window right now and I have maybe 4 to 5 hours before I can get her to the vet does anyone know anything if she'll be okay? Her spine maybe half an inch from her crown feels like there's a small gap
Not sure - they need to take x-rays I hope she didn't break anything- watch for a black beard that's going to indicate pain or distress or both- has she tried walking?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Her whole body from crown down is limp a few little shakes but nothing significant and yes she has a black beard when I was Giving cpr she would kick her legs but no movement as far as I can see
I am guessing here I am no vet but I am thinking something in broke- I feel for you --- black beard is more than likely pain --- I would see what the vet says - is it a reptile vet? If not here is a website to find one
www.arav.org if your in a small town please type in a bigger cities zip code closest to you
I would get her back under the UVB/ basking light for now try and keep her calm ---

Beardiecandy

Original Poster
I am guessing here I am no vet but I am thinking something in broke- I feel for you --- black beard is more than likely pain --- I would see what the vet says - is it a reptile vet? If not here is a website to find one
www.arav.org if your in a small town please type in a bigger cities zip code closest to you
I would get her back under the UVB/ basking light for now try and keep her calm ---
Thank you for your thoughts I think something's broken inside too, now I have a reptile vet in mind she went to before

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you for your thoughts I think something's broken inside too, now I have a reptile vet in mind she went to before
Ok good I hope she is good --- we have reptile vets and then we have real good reptile vets --- for pain they should give her some pain meds about the broke issue I have no idea what they will recommend --- our vet tech mod on here Drache613 can address that issue better than I --

Beardiecandy

Original Poster
Ok good I hope she is good --- we have reptile vets and then we have real good reptile vets --- for pain they should give her some pain meds about the broke issue I have no idea what they will recommend --- our vet tech mod on here Drache613 can address that issue better than I --
Unfortunately I cannot take her to the vet the cost is way too high for me all I can do right now is do whatever I can do at home see if she can recover on her own sad to say

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Unfortunately I cannot take her to the vet the cost is way too high for me all I can do right now is do whatever I can do at home see if she can recover on her own sad to say
Please take pics of the tank and lighting and her -- we will try and help you out as best as we can - lets see what Tracie has to say she is the vet tech on here - she and another might be able to help as much as you can - but if shes in pain I would not let her stay that way --
@Drache613
@AHBD

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, how terrible for you both. Is her beard black right now?
If possible, please do take full body pictures of her but don't stress her by moving her too much
since she is most likely injured. How far of a fall was it? Where did the dresser edge hit her?
It is possible that nothing is broken, but their spines are long & vulnerable to injury. Since they
don't have discs in between their vertebrae, it is possible that she has a couple of vertebrae that
essentially subluxed & are out of place. Without an x-ray though, it's hard to be able to confirm
the extent of any type of injury.
Have you adjusted the basking light & UVB light distance for her so she doesn't have to move &
climb to bask, etc?
How is her breathing, steady or erratic?
For now, do your best to keep her a little warmer overnight, usually around 75-80F to help keep her
system boosted.
Let us know how things are going.

Tracie

Beardiecandy

Original Poster
Hello,

Wow, how terrible for you both. Is her beard black right now?
If possible, please do take full body pictures of her but don't stress her by moving her too much
since she is most likely injured. How far of a fall was it? Where did the dresser edge hit her?
It is possible that nothing is broken, but their spines are long & vulnerable to injury. Since they
don't have discs in between their vertebrae, it is possible that she has a couple of vertebrae that
essentially subluxed & are out of place. Without an x-ray though, it's hard to be able to confirm
the extent of any type of injury.
Have you adjusted the basking light & UVB light distance for her so she doesn't have to move &
climb to bask, etc?
How is her breathing, steady or erratic?
For now, do your best to keep her a little warmer overnight, usually around 75-80F to help keep her
system boosted.
Let us know how things are going.

Tracie
I'd like to share some photos with you I made pictures of the lights and of her, yesterday before bedtime she was moving her left arm kinda in a motion like she was scratching but ever since the lights came on she barely opened her eyes I got her to drink a little bit don't know how I'm gonna get her to eat, I'd say she fell maybe 5 or 6 ft not too sure on distance but I remember it sounded like a knuckle hitting the table I'd say when she fell and was struggling on the way down the edge made direct contact with her spine, her breathing is slow and steady

Attachments

• Snapchat-1576466987.jpg
    Snapchat-1576466987.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 100
  • Snapchat-593764291.jpg
    Snapchat-593764291.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Snapchat-2102737997.jpg
    Snapchat-2102737997.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Snapchat-238125559.jpg
    Snapchat-238125559.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 89

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I'd like to share some photos with you I made pictures of the lights and of her, yesterday before bedtime she was moving her left arm kinda in a motion like she was scratching but ever since the lights came on she barely opened her eyes I got her to drink a little bit don't know how I'm gonna get her to eat, I'd say she fell maybe 5 or 6 ft not too sure on distance but I remember it sounded like a knuckle hitting the table I'd say when she fell and was struggling on the way down the edge made direct contact with her spine, her breathing is slow and steady
First thing please get rid of the coil UVB --- is it a 13 watt or a 26 watt --- best UVB's are long tube fixtures-- I can help w/ that -- was she closing her eyes alot before the fall? Her beard is not that black --- her eyes look sunken in --- can you post a better pic of them please -- you will need to feed her by hand either by licking off the spoon or by syringe -- there is no way to know what kind of injuries she has sustained w/ out a X ray- shes going to need that long tube UVB for her to better --- coil UVB's are NO good and do not provide adequate UVB rays -- to me they are a hazard

Beardiecandy

Original Poster
First thing please get rid of the coil UVB --- is it a 13 watt or a 26 watt --- best UVB's are long tube fixtures-- I can help w/ that -- was she closing her eyes alot before the fall? Her beard is not that black --- her eyes look sunken in --- can you post a better pic of them please -- you will need to feed her by hand either by licking off the spoon or by syringe -- there is no way to know what kind of injuries she has sustained w/ out a X ray- shes going to need that long tube UVB for her to better --- coil UVB's are NO good and do not provide adequate UVB rays -- to me they are a hazard
She hasn't been keeping her eyes closed before the incident she is moving her eyes but not opening them & sorry I do not have the money for long tube fixtures and so do I have to blend her food together will she be on a liquid diet to be safe? Her left eye looks more sunken than the right

Attachments

• Snapchat-725273707.jpg
    Snapchat-725273707.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Snapchat-1517383666.jpg
    Snapchat-1517383666.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 64

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom