Beardie eye problems

Cpin115

Beardie name(s)
Bruno
I have A juvenile beardie he has to be at least a couple months old I’d say 4-6? I’m not sure. The last two weeks he’s had this eye problem. I noticed when one day i woke up to see his eye was muddy and filled with goo. I cleaned It and bought reptile eye drops immediately. It’s been helping a lot but it still gets crusted and filled with goo every now and then but it’s not as bad as it was before ! Once I clean It it looks good but it still has problems. I dont have enough money for the vet since I’m a college student and only work part time. I’m desperate for any help!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have A juvenile beardie he has to be at least a couple months old I’d say 4-6? I’m not sure. The last two weeks he’s had this eye problem. I noticed when one day i woke up to see his eye was muddy and filled with goo. I cleaned It and bought reptile eye drops immediately. It’s been helping a lot but it still gets crusted and filled with goo every now and then but it’s not as bad as it was before ! Once I clean It it looks good but it still has problems. I dont have enough money for the vet since I’m a college student and only work part time. I’m desperate for any help!
Incorrect UVB and basking bulbs can cause eye issues along w/ loose substrate -- please go over the lighting brand and bulb of what your using---- NO colored lights please -- in the mean time you can use some raw pasteurized honey - mix w / a little warm water and apply w/ a Q tip to the affected eye -- you can also rinse w/ some regular saline - NO contact lens stuff please -- post a pic of the eye as well

Cpin115

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bruno
Flukers light bulb - 150 watt- basking light bulb
His cooling light bulb is the terrarium T5-Ho terrarium hood- 14” it came w a light bulb and was recommended.
He has no loose substrate in his tank - I used Reptile liner I bought From Etsy

I only use water and a qtip to rinse and then two drops of flukers reptile eye drops and use as directed to

Here is a picture of his bad eye

Attachments

• A22C60AE-40A9-4A0C-97C0-B846B8F22593.jpeg
    A22C60AE-40A9-4A0C-97C0-B846B8F22593.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 51

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Flukers light bulb - 150 watt- basking light bulb
His cooling light bulb is the terrarium T5-Ho terrarium hood- 14” it came w a light bulb and was recommended.
He has no loose substrate in his tank - I used Reptile liner I bought From Etsy

I only use water and a qtip to rinse and then two drops of flukers reptile eye drops and use as directed to

Here is a picture of his bad eye
Ok its shed---- rinse w/ reg saline - they can swell etc --- your lighting is good -- but your going to need to invest in a bigger UVB fixture -- the 14" is too small for a bigger tank like even a 40 I recommend a bigger tank 120 gallon -- Pet Smart has started selling Zen Habitats they are a good habitat I have 2 of them you can make payments on them -- -- I recommend you get a 24" Zoo Med if you can find one--- that is a T5 and you will need to upgrade the bulb to a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 - the UVB your using now needs to be inside the tank or NO screen its a 5.0 bulb and good for aquariums and not strong enough to go thru screen --- you want it w/ no obstruction and directly over the basking decor 6-8 inches for adequate UVB exposure -- you can also get a 24 watt Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ the 12% bulb for a 40 + gallon tank found at Pet Smart as well -https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/light-fixtures/arcadia-reptile-prot5-uv-b-kit-65058.html?cgid=500114&fmethod=Browse
I have two of these and the liners as well
or you can get this UVB its another good one Sunblaster Nano Tech 2ft or 24"
you will need to change the bulb out to a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5
your basking bulb is a good one -- are you using 2 digital probe thermometers to get actual surface basking temps --- what size is the tank now you have? Stick ons are inaccurate

Cpin115

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bruno
Ok its shed---- rinse w/ reg saline - they can swell etc --- your lighting is good -- but your going to need to invest in a bigger UVB fixture -- the 14" is too small for a bigger tank like even a 40 I recommend a bigger tank 120 gallon -- Pet Smart has started selling Zen Habitats they are a good habitat I have 2 of them you can make payments on them -- -- I recommend you get a 24" Zoo Med if you can find one--- that is a T5 and you will need to upgrade the bulb to a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 - the UVB your using now needs to be inside the tank or NO screen its a 5.0 bulb and good for aquariums and not strong enough to go thru screen --- you want it w/ no obstruction and directly over the basking decor 6-8 inches for adequate UVB exposure -- you can also get a 24 watt Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ the 12% bulb for a 40 + gallon tank found at Pet Smart as well -https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/light-fixtures/arcadia-reptile-prot5-uv-b-kit-65058.html?cgid=500114&fmethod=Browse
I have two of these and the liners as well
or you can get this UVB its another good one Sunblaster Nano Tech 2ft or 24"
you will need to change the bulb out to a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5
your basking bulb is a good one -- are you using 2 digital probe thermometers to get actual surface basking temps --- what size is the tank now you have? Stick ons are inaccurat
Right now he is in a 40 and I will get a bigger one when he is older and bigger, he is still pretty small! When do you think his eye will get better ? I’m worried :/ should I continue w the drops or get the honey? Also how do I hook Up the light inside the tank ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Right now he is in a 40 and I will get a bigger one when he is older and bigger, he is still pretty small! When do you think his eye will get better ? I’m worried :/ should I continue w the drops or get the honey? Also how do I hook Up the light inside the tank ?
Just rinse w/ the saline and let the shed do its thing- this is normal - the light needs to be inside and you can use these to hang w/ 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – long plastic zip ties or fishing line-- get it hung in the tank and then get a piece of basking decor directly under it --6-8 inches - make sure you change the bulb out in 5 months --- the 14" is too small for a 40 gallon tank --- he needs this UVB to be on par this is going to prevent all kinds of illnesses and MBD-- if you can I would invest in the UVB now like one of the ones I posted --- it can then go into a larger tank when you upgrade --- its going to be better for him in the long run -- depending on your screen on the tank your T 5 UVB can go on top but that depends on the screen --- fine mesh screens block out 30% of the rays a wide hole type a T 5 can sit on top but distance would be different --- 5.0 bulbs are too weak to do this -- it has to be the 10.0 or a 12% Arcadia bulb

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thanks for all your help ! This has definitely helped me stress less about him :) !
I was going to say hes alot younger than 4 months old I am going to guess hes about 2 months old -- let me know what you decide to to about your UVB and I can help you get it placed for the tank etc

Cpin115

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bruno
I am not sure about his age but yes he’s still tiny. I will definitely look into getting a better UVB :)

Cpin115

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bruno
I was going to say hes alot younger than 4 months old I am going to guess hes about 2 months old -- let me know what you decide to to about your UVB and I can help you get it placed for the tank etc
Also, how do you eat your bearded dragon to eat more veggies ? I’m having trouble w him eating his veggies all he wants is crickets

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Also, how do you eat your bearded dragon to eat more veggies ? I’m having trouble w him eating his veggies all he wants is crickets
Yep I am going to say get him some BSFL www.symtonbsf.com get medium ones they are a small larvae do not dust them make sure your dusting the crickets 5 x per week ONCE per feeding w/ calcium D3 and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding -- use the BSFL as lures to the bowl https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
personally I would change him over to dubia roaches -- they are a better feeder and will fill him up quicker more nutritious --- get a 10 gallon aquarium feed them dubia food and dubia dew and what your feeding the dragon --- NO carrots to both feed one or the other too much Vit A --- here is a website for nutrition Nutrition Content ignore the kale info its outdated --- you can get roaches either symtonbsf or from here www.dubiaroaches.com -- they have small super worms as well -- use these to lure him to the feeding bowl - go by the chart on dubiaroaches website - get no bigger than the space between his eyes symton sells small roaches -- dubia has different sizes - shop both see which ones you like the best -- symton does not sell super worms -- on the dubia roach website the BSFL are known as nutri grubs -- same thing - I would recommend getting these set up as pet stores are unreliable for insects during the winter --- its best to set your self up w/ a good amount - a 10 gallon aquarium will hold about 300 good size roaches - he should be eating around 10-15 roaches at one feeding w/ super worms added in and nutri grubs as well I used around 25 of them in the morning along w/ salads and roaches Blaze had a good diet - he also got horn worms and silk worms as well - the horn worms are a good hydrating worm and the silk are a good staple -- the horn worms grow very fast so order a small amount of those - super worms last a long time - you will need to hydrate them by using carrots as well or potatos - NO meal worms --- they are too harsh on babies stomachs and can cause impaction -

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom