beardie eating enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much should a 2-3 month old bearded dragon be eating in a day? I got my beardie from a pet store almost a month ago and I am guessing on its age (it is about 7 inches long). For the past few days she's been eating only 4-5 crickets a day and some greens. Previously she was eating up to 10. I feed her twice a day by giving her the feeders and letting them in the cage for about 15 minutes. She has no issue catching them, just has no interest in doing so. Is she eating enough to stay healthy?

Aberdeen43

Original Poster
destiny1998":3dn340ex said:
Hi. Can you give a rundown of the set up? Lights? Brands? Temps? How you take them?

In the basking area I have a platform that also functions as a hide as well as a branch for climbing. There is an under tank heater that I turn on at night when the basking bulb is off. The heat lamp is a 50watt ZooMed basking spot lamp. In the basking area the temp is usually between 98-105 degrees Fahrenheit, measured with a temp gun. On the other side of the viv there is a National Geographic Desert UVB bulb (came with the setup). The temp on that side usually hovers around 85 degrees, again taken with a temp gun. The substrate is reptile carpet. The tank is about 25 gallons. I noticed today that she is started to shed, which I know can affect eating, however she shed 2 weeks ago and her appetite was not affected at all.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like your temps are pretty good. Cool side is a bit warm but not a huge deal as long as there's shade available. I suggest moving the UVB over to the basking side. You want to try and imitate natural sunlight as closely as possible so it's best to mix the strongest concentration of UVB in with the bright white light and warmth of the basking light.

If the temps in the tank stay above about 65 overnight I wouldn't bother with any nighttime heat. It's natural for the overnight temps to dip a bit. If overnight temps do cool off more than that, I suggest heating from overhead via a ceramic heat emitter or a heat projector like this http://www.reptileuv.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=196 because they produce heat from above which can be easily sensed and regulated and no visible light which can disturb sleep.

The little ones shed pretty often, and I wouldn't consider each shed to be equal. Some can bother them more than others, especially if the shed is concentrated around their face. As long as she isn't losing weight it should be OK for a while. Is she otherwise alert and active? Can you post some photos of her? You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Full grown silkworms as long as your fingers (about 3-4" long) and are eating machines.

I don't think a plastic cup will be big enough even for one and the leafs it'll eat in one day.

Might work OK for a just hatched silkworms (be sure to cover the top of the cup with gladwrap to keep house ants and baby roaches out (they'll steal them and eat them).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom