Beardie doesn't like bugs

Chocowaffles

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hewg
Hello! I got Hewg from a rehoming situation late May. Got him checked up at the vet, and he is overweight. She recommended only feeding bugs 2-3x a week and when i do only have it be 25% of his daily diet. We thought he wouldn't eat salad because we suspect he was mostly fed worms, but he loves salad and eats it like a champ. He ate a few dubia roaches in the first few weeks. Then he didn't want to. We'd try having him eat bug before salad, nope. Without calcium? Nope. We tried solider fly larva as well with the same techniques. He ate a few and became disinterested but still loves salad. We just tried the repashy gel and he did go after that at least. We started putting the calcium on his salad to make sure he gets what he needs. My question is, with him being 4 and overweight, does he absolutely need live insects if he's disinterested in them? Thank you for reading this far, any advice is appreciated.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
At 4, he can get the majority of his food from salad items. He still needs protein, so if he is only eat bugs once or twice a week that will be ok. He might just not like dubia, and most adult dragons don't really like bsfl as they are pretty small. You can try superworms or crickets, silkworms, or mealworms.

-Brandon

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom