Beardie closing eyes and not pooping well!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashleyk

Hello everyone! I am new here and I am very worried about my beardie. He is in a 75 gallon tank with two 100 w heat bulbs and previously he had a 20 inch 10.0 uvb. About 5 months ago he stopped shedding which may be because he is closer to two years old now. However, lately I have noticed he has been acting weird. Lately when I touch him he closes his eyes or falls asleep on me which he never used to do. I read that this can be a sign of trust or a sign of stress. I recently changed his uvb to a 48 inch t5 ho 10.0 fixture which spans across his entire tank. I have never successfully gotten to have what I would consider a “perfect poop” but he still had had a normal schedule and decent size somewhat watery (not super watery) poops. However, lately he started pooping every day but it was very little. Then today, it was only white with no poop and looked very slimy. I also added a few new things to his tank from Christmas and he has started glass surfing which I know is a sign of stress. I feed him a mixture of mustard greens, collard greens, dandelion greens, butternut squash, and red bell peppers. I also feed him crickets that I dust with calcium without d3 and the occasional super worm. I’m mainly worried about his pooping and the eye closing lately even though he has been eating his crickets just fine. I attached a picture of his cage below. Please help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 150
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 117

Lis

Have you ever had a poo test done?
This is where I send mine to be tested for parasites. Also check your temperatures hot and cold end. Also make sure you feeding 1-2hours after lights come on and same before they go out. Hope that helps a little 🙂

Ashleyk

Original Poster
Have you ever had a poo test done?
This is where I send mine to be tested for parasites. Also check your temperatures hot and cold end. Also make sure you feeding 1-2hours after lights come on and same before they go out. Hope that helps a little 🙂
No I have never done a poo test because the vets here won’t test it unless I do a $100 general exam with them first. I also always make sure to feed him a while after his lights turn on and never after 3 hours before his lights turn off. He is now running around his cage like crazy which he has never done before. His basking spot temp gets to be around 103

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
No I have never done a poo test because the vets here won’t test it unless I do a $100 general exam with them first. I also always make sure to feed him a while after his lights turn on and never after 3 hours before his lights turn off. He is now running around his cage like crazy which he has never done before. His basking spot temp gets to be around 103
Closing of the eyes is a sign of trust- your T 5 is a good bulb make sure your distance is 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor- since you have it the full tank length make sure he has a hide or place where he can get out of the rays if he wants too-- post a pic if the next poop please

Ashleyk

Original Poster
Closing of the eyes is a sign of trust- your T 5 is a good bulb make sure your distance is 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor- since you have it the full tank length make sure he has a hide or place where he can get out of the rays if he wants too-- post a pic if the next poop please
This is what it looks like today. He has been pooping more often then usual and it is a very small amount like this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 112

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
This is what it looks like today. He has been pooping more often then usual and it is a very small amount like this.
Try laying off the squash and the green peppers -- they have a lot of water --- feed those once a week and see what the poop does - we need to rule out diet first before a parasite test --- crickets can be a culprit for parasites --- the poop is it really stinky like it makes you want to leave the room smell? Or can you smell it out of the room ? That would be a good sign of parasites as well --

Ashleyk

Original Poster
Try laying off the squash and the green peppers -- they have a lot of water --- feed those once a week and see what the poop does - we need to rule out diet first before a parasite test --- crickets can be a culprit for parasites --- the poop is it really stinky like it makes you want to leave the room smell? Or can you smell it out of the room ? That would be a good sign of parasites as well --
This was his poop today. It’s looking better! And it does not smell very bad. I can stick my head in his enclosure to clean it and it does not smell too bad. I’m starting to think that his change in behavior and poop may have actually been a good thing? I recently changed his uvb from a 20 inch with an old bulb to a full length 48 inch. I’m starting to think that this may have actually made him feel better and given him some more energy. Could this possibly be an explanation?

Attachments

• A0A4B97D-4F42-4B46-978E-FA120499144C.jpeg
    A0A4B97D-4F42-4B46-978E-FA120499144C.jpeg
    247.9 KB · Views: 89

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
This was his poop today. It’s looking better! And it does not smell very bad. I can stick my head in his enclosure to clean it and it does not smell too bad. I’m starting to think that his change in behavior and poop may have actually been a good thing? I recently changed his uvb from a 20 inch with an old bulb to a full length 48 inch. I’m starting to think that this may have actually made him feel better and given him some more energy. Could this possibly be an explanation?
It has form and urate- that's good - how old was the other bulb? The bulbs need to be replaced once a year for a T 5 the T 8 every 6 months I recommend a month prior to on both- make sure you have correct distance for the uvb and placement- where is the uvb? Your screen will determine the distance and placement

Ashleyk

Original Poster
It has form and urate- that's good - how old was the other bulb? The bulbs need to be replaced once a year for a T 5 the T 8 every 6 months I recommend a month prior to on both- make sure you have correct distance for the uvb and placement- where is the uvb? Your screen will determine the distance and placement
It was pretty old. Shame on me but it was probably closer to almost 2 years. I did not know they had to be changed instead of them just going out. His uvb sits right on top of his cage.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 82

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It was pretty old. Shame on me but it was probably closer to almost 2 years. I did not know they had to be changed instead of them just going out. His uvb sits right on top of his cage.
What type of screen on the tank? Fine mesh like a screen door ? or a wide hole type and what bulb please T 5 or a T 8 and yes your dragon has not had UVB for over 2 years I would say --- this would be a serious issue --

Ashleyk

Original Poster
What type of screen on the tank? Fine mesh like a screen door ? or a wide hole type and what bulb please T 5 or a T 8 and yes your dragon has not had UVB for over 2 years I would say --- this would be a serious issue --
It is a fine mesh like the screens you buy for fish tanks in the pet store. It is a t5 ho 10.0 bulb. What do you mean by he has not had uvb for over 2 years? He has had a long uvb but the bulb was just older than I would have liked.

Ashleyk

Original Poster
It is a fine mesh like the screens you buy for fish tanks in the pet store. It is a t5 ho 10.0 bulb. What do you mean by he has not had uvb for over 2 years? He has had a long uvb but the bulb was just older than I would have liked.
Actually the bulb was about a year old. I got him November 2020 not sure why I thought I’ve had him for two years already haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom