Beardie breathing heavily and walking strangely

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I’ll look at the pet store for two thermometers. One for the cool side and one for the basking temp. I’ll also need a hygrometer for the humidity and the ceramic heating bulbs and fixture. Is there anything else I need to grab?
You want a digital probe hygrometer -- place on the back center wall of the tank - optimal humidity 40-50% nothing under 20% and over 70%

Noogai16

Original Poster
I’ll see what I can find. And I’ll report back with photos once I’ve gathered everything I might need
Ok I’ve gotten back from the store. I was able to get both a digital hygrometer and 2 digital Thermometers. The hygrometer reads 46% and the surface of the towels I have for him to bask on is 100 degrees and climbing slowly as it warms up. Attached is a photo of the set up I have for him. I’ve taken a few things out so he doesn’t have to do a lot of climbing. The Slimlight fixture is a T8 after all and I’ll have to figure out a way to mount it inside the cage. Is this what you meant by adding rolled towels inside the tank as a basking area? I’ve also gotten a ceramic heating that I will set up for him before bed towards the center as suggested before. Is this correct?

Attachments

• FE958F70-790E-4AC8-B719-D6B6FF727B27.jpeg
    FE958F70-790E-4AC8-B719-D6B6FF727B27.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 54

Noogai16

Original Poster
Ok I’ve gotten back from the store. I was able to get both a digital hygrometer and 2 digital Thermometers. The hygrometer reads 46% and the surface of the towels I have for him to bask on is 100 degrees and climbing slowly as it warms up. Attached is a photo of the set up I have for him. I’ve taken a few things out so he doesn’t have to do a lot of climbing. The Slimlight fixture is a T8 after all and I’ll have to figure out a way to mount it inside the cage. Is this what you meant by adding rolled towels inside the tank as a basking area? I’ve also gotten a ceramic heating that I will set up for him before bed towards the center as suggested before. Is this correct?
I’d also like to add that his breathing is a lot less labored than before since he hasn’t been moving around a lot today.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I’d also like to add that his breathing is a lot less labored than before since he hasn’t been moving around a lot today.
Ok can you take the screen off in the back or cut it or hang it inside - either way it needs to unobstructed and if there is a clear plastic cover over the bulb take it off and leave it off- what brand of bulb are you using? If its a Zilla brand please replace w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 -- way better UVB bulb -- the UVB needs to be directly over the dragon 6-8 inches -- if you haft to move your basking bulb and fixtures to the center w/ the towels and have your UVB as close to that area as possible - see if you can get him under both the UVB and the basking bulbs together -- let me know how it goes-- your humidity is in optimal range -- I am thinking he got the heavy breathing issue from too hot of temps--- please make a vet appointment and have him checked out --- things I am hoping will improve w/ the correct basking temps and UVB placement but if hes got a RI he will probably need antibiotics --- here is a website to find a reptile vet please type in a bigger cities zip code if your in a small town --- www.arav.org

Noogai16

Original Poster
Ok can you take the screen off in the back or cut it or hang it inside - either way it needs to unobstructed and if there is a clear plastic cover over the bulb take it off and leave it off- what brand of bulb are you using? If its a Zilla brand please replace w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 -- way better UVB bulb -- the UVB needs to be directly over the dragon 6-8 inches -- if you haft to move your basking bulb and fixtures to the center w/ the towels and have your UVB as close to that area as possible - see if you can get him under both the UVB and the basking bulbs together -- let me know how it goes-- your humidity is in optimal range -- I am thinking he got the heavy breathing issue from too hot of temps--- please make a vet appointment and have him checked out --- things I am hoping will improve w/ the correct basking temps and UVB placement but if hes got a RI he will probably need antibiotics --- here is a website to find a reptile vet please type in a bigger cities zip code if your in a small town --- www.arav.org
It’s a reptisun t8 bulb. Can I cut the mesh so it’s not blocking the light and still have it sitting on top of the tank? I’m worried if I try hanging it from the mesh it could fall off. I have an appointment scheduled for him in January 14th at my closest vet that specializes in reptiles. Are there any dietary things I can do to help him walk better if he does have a calcium deficiency?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It’s a reptisun t8 bulb. Can I cut the mesh so it’s not blocking the light and still have it sitting on top of the tank? I’m worried if I try hanging it from the mesh it could fall off. I have an appointment scheduled for him in January 14th at my closest vet that specializes in reptiles. Are there any dietary things I can do to help him walk better if he does have a calcium deficiency?
Yes you can cut the screen just make sure you can get the 6-8 inches directly above him -- so if you haft to use several rolled up dish towels so he can get that distance that would be good -- what are you giving for supplements ? Is he eating ok ? he needs calcium D3 -- we can have Tracie address this medical calcium issue
@Drache613

Noogai16

Original Poster
Yes you can cut the screen just make sure you can get the 6-8 inches directly above him -- so if you haft to use several rolled up dish towels so he can get that distance that would be good -- what are you giving for supplements ? Is he eating ok ? he needs calcium D3 -- we can have Tracie address this medical calcium issue
@Drache613
He Eats relatively ok. I give him collard greens, bok choy and super worms here and there. He’s very picky with his vegetables and sometimes won’t eat them. I use to give him crickets but he would no longer chase them around in the tank so I usually just give him super worms dusted with Calcium Powder with D3 since that’s what I use to do with the crickets. I would give him the occasional fruit here and there but not as often since I hear too much fruit is bad for beardies. The only fruit I’ve ever given him is watermelon, blueberries and strawberries as treats.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He Eats relatively ok. I give him collard greens, bok choy and super worms here and there. He’s very picky with his vegetables and sometimes won’t eat them. I use to give him crickets but he would no longer chase them around in the tank so I usually just give him super worms dusted with Calcium Powder with D3 since that’s what I use to do with the crickets. I would give him the occasional fruit here and there but not as often since I hear too much fruit is bad for beardies. The only fruit I’ve ever given him is watermelon, blueberries and strawberries as treats.
Please get him a regular staple insect - super worms are treat worms - he needs either dubia roaches silk worms or BSFL- how often is he being fed the calcium D3 ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor thing, how is he doing today?
Were you able to cut a hole in the screen top for the UVB, or mount it underneath of the screen
so that he can get a stronger UVB exposure?
How much of the calcium with D3 is he getting, are you putting it onto his food?
Be sure to keep him a little warmer overnight, usually around 75-80F just to help boost his immune
system.
That's good he is eating some greens. Try to encourage him to continue eating them, to help with
hydration & nutrition. If he isn't eating quite enough, you can consider making him a nutritious greens
slurry to give to him a few times per week.

Tracie

Noogai16

Original Poster
Hello,

Poor thing, how is he doing today?
Were you able to cut a hole in the screen top for the UVB, or mount it underneath of the screen
so that he can get a stronger UVB exposure?
How much of the calcium with D3 is he getting, are you putting it onto his food?
Be sure to keep him a little warmer overnight, usually around 75-80F just to help boost his immune
system.
That's good he is eating some greens. Try to encourage him to continue eating them, to help with
hydration & nutrition. If he isn't eating quite enough, you can consider making him a nutritious greens
slurry to give to him a few times per week.

Tracie
He’s doing ok. It looks like his breathing has gotten better. As for uvb exposure I was able to cut the screen and take off the plastic cover to make sure the rays are getting into his enclosure. When I give him his calcium I would make sure the insects are nice and dusted with the calcium. For now he’s just laying in his basking spot off to the side and sleeping. I’ve been keeping him warm with the ceramic heating fixture so he sleeps at night at a cozy 80-85 degrees. I’ll also try out the green slurry, would it be best to try to give it to him using a syringe and having him lick it up?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is good news he seems to be breathing a bit easier right now. Hopefully he will be able to get
some stronger UVB exposure with the hole in the screen & without the plastic cover over the light, too.
Since you are using the T8 tube, you can use the D3 powder 3 times weekly, on his insects. That should
be adequate now if he begins to get better UVB lighting.
The ceramic heat emitters are great, I'm sure he enjoys the warmth overnight right now.
Yes, you can use either a plastic dropper or a plastic syringe to just drip onto his little nose. He should
just lick that off of his nose pretty easily.
Keep us posted on him!

Tracie

Noogai16

Original Poster
Hello,

That is good news he seems to be breathing a bit easier right now. Hopefully he will be able to get
some stronger UVB exposure with the hole in the screen & without the plastic cover over the light, too.
Since you are using the T8 tube, you can use the D3 powder 3 times weekly, on his insects. That should
be adequate now if he begins to get better UVB lighting.
The ceramic heat emitters are great, I'm sure he enjoys the warmth overnight right now.
Yes, you can use either a plastic dropper or a plastic syringe to just drip onto his little nose. He should
just lick that off of his nose pretty easily.
Keep us posted on him!

Tracie
Will do, he’s been resting easy at night and I don’t see him breathing as hard anymore. He continues to relax in the warmer side of the tank and I’m going to be picking up some more insects for him to eat.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom