Beardie blood work question

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

Sorry for the delay, a very crazy weekend. I did review the blood work. How is your dragon
doing today? The uric acid levels are higher than what I like to see. What did the vet say
regarding the blood test, did he mention the uric acid levels at all?
The calcium supplementation you are using, is it plain without D3?
For now, I would work on trying to get some extra oral fluids into him & if you can find some
black or tart cherry juice extract, that would be helpful to start him on that also, daily. It can
help bring down uric acid crystals, to some extent. It doesn't look like he has any swelling or
puffiness on his hands/feet, etc?
The AST & ALT are slightly elevated, which are liver enzyme readings. The calcium levels
are fine, & so are the protein levels, too. You could also consider getting him on some milk
thistle for liver helps too, either liquid or powder is fine. The white blood cell counts are a bit
elevated but sometimes they can become elevated under stress. Is he possibly dehydrated?
That can cause stress on the kidneys, throwing off other levels & making things imbalanced.
The Glucose readings are fine, so that is good to see there.
What do you gutload your insects with, what type of feed do you give them?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

mantronics

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Apolla
Hello!

Sorry for the delay, a very crazy weekend. I did review the blood work. How is your dragon
doing today? The uric acid levels are higher than what I like to see. What did the vet say
regarding the blood test, did he mention the uric acid levels at all?
The calcium supplementation you are using, is it plain without D3?
For now, I would work on trying to get some extra oral fluids into him & if you can find some
black or tart cherry juice extract, that would be helpful to start him on that also, daily. It can
help bring down uric acid crystals, to some extent. It doesn't look like he has any swelling or
puffiness on his hands/feet, etc?
The AST & ALT are slightly elevated, which are liver enzyme readings. The calcium levels
are fine, & so are the protein levels, too. You could also consider getting him on some milk
thistle for liver helps too, either liquid or powder is fine. The white blood cell counts are a bit
elevated but sometimes they can become elevated under stress. Is he possibly dehydrated?
That can cause stress on the kidneys, throwing off other levels & making things imbalanced.
The Glucose readings are fine, so that is good to see there.
What do you gutload your insects with, what type of feed do you give them?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie
Hello Traci, and thanks for your response. My daughter stated the vet did not mention the high uric acid, but did say he was concerned about the high LDH and WBC levels, and did prescribe antibiotics. He did mention the blood was dark, a sign of dehydration. He is getting rep cal with out d3, 2 days and cal + 5 days in 1 feeding.( I told her I believe it’s the opposite, cal+2 days and without d3, 5 days). His staple protein is roaches. She gut loads them with what he eats, collards,carrots, bell pepper, squash. He did his second round of antibiotics and the probiotics( bene- cal slurry) He hide mostly yesterday, but did come out 20 mins to bask before lights out last nite.
She kept lights on longer for him to see if he would stay, and he fell asleep there. I think I answered all your questions and appreciate the help.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You are welcome.
Ok, overall, that is a good analysis. Dehydration will definitely cause a darker blood as well as an
elevated uric acid level. Since he will be on antibiotics, keep him extra hydrated so it doesn't tax
his kidneys. Hopefully his levels come down, but watch for any swelling, etc that would indicate
gout or pre-gout symptoms.
The gutload sounds fine. If you wanted to add a dry feed for gutloading, try an organic, non gmo
chicken laying mash for the insects, along with the greens & veggies for a higher nutrition ratio.
Keep us posted on him. I hope he is feeling better.

Tracie

mantronics

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Apolla
Hello,

You are welcome.
Ok, overall, that is a good analysis. Dehydration will definitely cause a darker blood as well as an
elevated uric acid level. Since he will be on antibiotics, keep him extra hydrated so it doesn't tax
his kidneys. Hopefully his levels come down, but watch for any swelling, etc that would indicate
gout or pre-gout symptoms.
The gutload sounds fine. If you wanted to add a dry feed for gutloading, try an organic, non gmo
chicken laying mash for the insects, along with the greens & veggies for a higher nutrition ratio.
Keep us posted on him. I hope he is feeling better.

Tracie
Thanks for your help and advice.👍🏼 Will keep post updated

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom