Beardie ate Mother of Thousands leaf

OpalTheDragon

Beardie name(s)
Opal
My beardie (roughly 578.6 grams) ate a toxic leaf that was on my floor that I hadn’t noticed. My dad is on the way to get activated charcoal now. She ate it at roughly 7:07 today and is showing no symptoms. Is there Anything else we can do?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're doing what is recommended in a case of ingestiing a toxic substance. I don't know the recommended dosage , hopefully someone else here does. Tracie [ Drache613 ] will be on later, she's the go to.

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
It looks like the correct dosage for her weight is 1000mg of activated charcoal. I'm pulling it from this answer I found on a tele-vet site. There is a little more information there that might be useful.

Wishing you guys the best of luck with this.

OpalTheDragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Opal
It looks like the correct dosage for her weight is 1000mg of activated charcoal. I'm pulling it from this answer I found on a tele-vet site. There is a little more information there that might be useful.

Wishing you guys the best of luck with this.
Thank you! She’s still doing good and took the charcoal from a syringe nicely! Still no symptoms luckily, and she’s still being very sassy and acting like herself :)

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Thank you! She’s still doing good and took the charcoal from a syringe nicely! Still no symptoms luckily, and she’s still being very sassy and acting like herself :)
I'm glad to hear that. The answer I referenced recommend repeating the dosage one more time in 8 hours and trying to keep her hydrated.

It's good she is so cooperative with the syringe, I'm dreading ever trying to get Beebz to ingest something he doesn't want to.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Have you given the charcoal yet?
That dose is a bit high. Do you have the weight of your dragon, estimated?
For small animals & reptiles the recommended dose is 1-5grams/kg
It really doesn't have to be exact. You can simply get an 1/8th of a teaspoon &
mix it with 5mls of water. Then, give about .1ml once to twice daily followed by
water.
How is she doing today?

Tracie

OpalTheDragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Opal
Hello,

Have you given the charcoal yet?
That dose is a bit high. Do you have the weight of your dragon, estimated?
For small animals & reptiles the recommended dose is 1-5grams/kg
It really doesn't have to be exact. You can simply get an 1/8th of a teaspoon &
mix it with 5mls of water. Then, give about .1ml once to twice daily followed by
water.
How is she doing today?

Tracie
Hello! I have given it already, though my dad measured out the dose so I’m not sure how much. She’s still doing good!

OpalTheDragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Opal
I'm glad to hear that. The answer I referenced recommend repeating the dosage one more time in 8 hours and trying to keep her hydrated.

It's good she is so cooperative with the syringe, I'm dreading ever trying to get Beebz to ingest something he doesn't want to.
Alright! Thank you! She’s gotten fluid in her lungs before so she had to get used to syringes for a couple weeks 😂 anyways, thanks for the advice! I’ll make sure to give her a second dose and put a water dish in her enclosure

OpalTheDragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Opal
She’s still doing alright! I’m gonna give her another dose now as suggested by a couple people! Thanks to everyone for your help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 51

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom