Beardie Ate a Rock. Should I panic?

knolin

Original Poster
Small stones are usually passed with no problem, feed your dragon as usual and try not to worry.
I don't think it is "small". I have attached a pic. His torso is about as long as my hand.

Attachments

• IMG_5139.JPG
    IMG_5139.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 73

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Knolin, I was responding to your post that said the stone was small . That one is on the larger side so it may be a problem but still may be able to be passed through. You have 3 options: 1 ) if it hasn't gone far down the digestive tract you can get in to an emergency vet ASAP to see if they can retrieve it through his mouth. 2 ) A vet MAY decide to open your dragon up. 3) you can see if it passes. All 3 choices carry risks so maybe consult a good reptile vet or if you can to an emergency vet. I hope all goes well ! I do think he can pass it though.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Even with the size, I think there is a pretty high chance it will pass, thankfully it's smooth. Surgery would be riskier than waiting and seeing if it passes at this point IMO. But, keep an eye on him and watch for signs of a blockage.

If there are any signs or symptoms of a blockage, surgery is likely going to be your only option. However, if he got it down, he hopefully should be able to get it out. If he hasn't thrown it up, it should hopefully pass. Try to keep him active and make sure he is basking properly.

-Brandon

knolin

Original Poster
Hi Knolin, I was responding to your post that said the stone was small . That one is on the larger side so it may be a problem but still may be able to be passed through. You have 3 options: 1 ) if it hasn't gone far down the digestive tract you can get in to an emergency vet ASAP to see if they can retrieve it through his mouth. 2 ) A vet MAY decide to open your dragon up. 3) you can see if it passes. All 3 choices carry risks so maybe consult a good reptile vet or if you can to an emergency vet. I hope all goes well ! I do think he can pass it though.
Thanks. It is still eating just fine. Pooped this morning with no sign of the stone or distress. Fingers crossed.

knolin

Original Poster
Even with the size, I think there is a pretty high chance it will pass, thankfully it's smooth. Surgery would be riskier than waiting and seeing if it passes at this point IMO. But, keep an eye on him and watch for signs of a blockage.

If there are any signs or symptoms of a blockage, surgery is likely going to be your only option. However, if he got it down, he hopefully should be able to get it out. If he hasn't thrown it up, it should hopefully pass. Try to keep him active and make sure he is basking properly.

-Brandon
Will do. Thank you!

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom