Beardie Ate a Rock. Should I panic?

Shotty.Sub

Beardie name(s)
Fiona
Hi,

We recently adopted a bearded dragon, full detail on the set up here: New Beardie Owner Here - Have Questions :) | Introductions | Bearded Dragon .org

The previous owner had a bioactive set up. It has many elements, but for the sake of relevance it has bugs and some charcoal pieces strewn throughout.

We're in the process of converting the tank over to tile. We just got all the tile pieces cut to size and are switching it out this weekend... but she ate a rock in the meantime. A bug crawled out from underneath and she misfired and got a piece of charcoal rock instead. I ran over to try and pull it out of her mouth but it was too late.

Should we be panicked and what are best next steps? It's hard to say the size of the piece of charcoal as I only got the tail end of the event. However, it was pretty crunchy - which is what called my attention, which makes me hope it was thin enough for her to chew.

It's worth noting we are switching her to tile, because I didn't want to have to worry about this type of scenario to begin with.

Last edited:

Shotty.Sub

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fiona
Highly unlikely to cause a problem, just feed + hydrate her as usual and it should pass through.
Hi. So updated.

She pooped the next day. A very large poop.

But hasn't pooped since (7 Days). She is shedding (legs, back, belly, and face) and we just set up her new tank. So it's possible that may be the cause.

Her tummy looks quite full but no abnormal bulges. She can walk fine and seems alert. Not sleepy. Still eating crickets but being pickier about her greens. We gave her a blueberry with olive oil.

At what point should I be concerned if she's not pooping.

We are giving her warm baths and tummy rubs too. Not running around her tank as much, but if we let her out she explores.

Her basking temps are a little over 100 and I've checked her UV distance on here with other members as well :)

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I'm not sure on how long to wait, but i would caution not to get carried away with bathing. To many baths can cause it's own problems. On one hand it can dry out their scales on the other if they don't get fully dry it could cause bacteria to start.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
You can try a spoon, if your beardie eats that way its great. If not you can use a syringe to put a little on its nose at a time. If the baby food is really thin you might could use an eye dropper.
If your beardie won't lick it off its nose you can pull down tbe side of its lip and put a little in its mouth that way. Be careful not to go to fast you don't want to aspirate your dragon.

Shotty.Sub

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fiona
You can try a spoon, if your beardie eats that way its great. If not you can use a syringe to put a little on its nose at a time. If the baby food is really thin you might could use an eye dropper.
If your beardie won't lick it off its nose you can pull down tbe side of its lip and put a little in its mouth that way. Be careful not to go to fast you don't want to aspirate your dragon.
Great, thank you

Shotty.Sub

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fiona
Just keep feeding her as usual, maybe add a little baby food squash or sweet potato. Not too many baths as xp29 mentioned.
So. Good news. After eating some greens we let her run around on a tiled flooring area of our house and she pooped (8th day).

The urate was chalky but lots of liquid around it. Here is a picture

Attachments

• PXL_20220704_164035701.jpg
    PXL_20220704_164035701.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 69

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom