Beardie and Yoshino Cherry Leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was working on cleaning out my dragon's tank and had her on my shoulder and she started getting into position to jump so I grabbed her before she could. She was looking towards the sunny window next to me so I went to set her down by the window and she took a bite out of one of the leaves of my bonsai i've got growing in the window. So far she seems to have the same energy as usual with her death defying leaps and running around at full speed. What caught me off guard was how fast she took the bite of the leaf when usually she wont tough her veggies at all.

My question is are the leaves of this tree toxic to a dragon?

The tree is a Japanese Yoshino Cherry Tree. In the picture below of the tree its the vey top leaf missing its point.

Attachments

• 20220313_160309.jpg
    20220313_160309.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 153

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
If its just a bite the dragon should be ok but id keep an eye. Cherries themselves are good every once and awhile however leaves are almost always toxic containing cyanine some more than others. Yoshino in particular I'm not positive about. Your post was from 4:00 pm today, so has your dragon been acting ok?

SilentArrow9

Original Poster
If its just a bite the dragon should be ok but id keep an eye. Cherries themselves are good every once and awhile however leaves are almost always toxic containing cyanine some more than others. Yoshino in particular I'm not positive about. Your post was from 4:00 pm today, so has your dragon been acting ok?
So far she seemed to act ok throughout the day and went to bed at the usual time yesterday. I'll find out more today when I go to lunch break to feed her today and see how much she eats.

SilentArrow9

Original Poster
how is your dragon doing ?
She seems to be just fine. She ate a bunch of dubia's for lunch and her poo looked like it always does. In fact the only thing wrong is she actually ate the mustard greens I left in her salad bowl today and I noticed she was looking for more earlier today after I got back from work. She did turn a blind eye to the butternut squash though. I do believe she is getting ready to shed as well, her legs are starting to get lighter than her body and her tail is starting to darken (not black) and sleeps like a rock.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I don't think they are toxic but as suggested, keep an eye on her behavior & watch for possible black bearding. Cherries are not
toxic so she should be fine. Maybe give some extra oral fluids for her too.
It sounds like she is doing good without any side effects!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom