Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

Beardie name(s)
Stevie
Beardie Advice ~ Spay?
28 minutes ago
Quick update on beardie. (More information about my beardie on profile)
Brief background, I have had her since 2018, adopted my first beardie from someone who couldn't give her the time she needed so it worked out fine. However, her previous owner did not know "he" was actually a she. I found out she was a female when she laid her first clutch of eggs and needless to say I was shocked lol. She is clearly a happy healthy girl, (and spoiled) because she has now been laying eggs frequently in clutches of 14 eggs and more. Her max has been 23 eggs in a single clutch.
During these several clutches of eggs being laid, she had been getting live bugs as a source of protein and dusted with calcium. However, I noticed that there seemed to be a direct correlation when she was eating live bugs and getting reproductive tract infections as well as an increase of fluid in her reproductive tract. She was put on antibiotics through IM injections and she eventually got better and had follow up vet appointments. The suggestion of spay for her was put on my radar by her vet at the exotic animal hospital I am employed at. As of recently, she got yet another reproductive tract infection and had fluid build up in her reproductive tract. And once again, she was put on an antibiotic being fortaz injections, every 3 days for 10 doses total which was the same as the first round of treatments. And the problem went away after these treatments to bring the inflammation down. Once again spay had been put on her radar. Note: she has had doses of other medication in the past to control the amount of "healthy gut bacteria" that was in her system. Too much would pose a potential problem so her vet wanted to control and lessen the amount that had showed up through fecal sample submitted.
She has also been put under anesthesia before due to her ingesting a firefly which are highly toxic. I'd rather not discuss details but I was the one to hold her upside down while she had her stomach pumped, etc.

I am just contemplating if there were any other options other than spay for her since she responded to the antibiotics/Fortaz so well. I would rather give her antibiotics whenever the issue arises. Rather than risk her life for a spay that might not be needed if she never has folliculitis again. I don't want to make a wrong decision for her. I love her very much and last thing I want to do is mess up and do something irreversible.

I'm planning on getting another vets opinion asap. She is getting another ultrasound 2 weeks from yesterday 2/28/22, to keep monitoring what's currently going on inside her. 2 eggs that have developed, but no shell on them, and no fluid in reproductive tract. Her vet seemed pleased with what she was seeing and still wanted her back in as I said, 2 weeks from yesterday 2/28/22. Her vet doesn't want me to do anything different in my care for Stevie.
I'd value opinions or suggestions preferably from vets or other experienced owners who maybe had to face this as well. Thank you for taking the time and reading through this if you made it this far :)

Side note: as of 2/28/22, her vet said that correlation between diet and reproductive tract infection was highly unlikely, but I haven't given her live bugs since, and found alternative sources of protein for her which were ok'd by her vet. (dried insects being black soldier fly larvae, mealworm, and soon to be crickets if I can find them, I refer to them as her crunchies as well as dried veggies as well because she enjoys crunching 🥰)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I have had females lay eggs but never had any problems with them but I thought I'd try to help since your question got no replies. First , was your beardie acting sickly or was she still eating well when the vet decided that she had infections ? How did they come to the conclusion that it was an infection and that there was too much fluid ?

Cassidy

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Stevie
I have had females lay eggs but never had any problems with them but I thought I'd try to help since your question got no replies. First , was your beardie acting sickly or was she still eating well when the vet decided that she had infections ? How did they come to the conclusion that it was an infection and that there was too much fluid ?
Thank you for replying! She wasn't acting herself and had trouble moving around because she was severely bloated. She also had bloodwork done and high levels of things (for not having the exact word due to paperwork being in front of me, I'm blanking) that were not supposed to be high. For example, white blood cell count.

Cassidy

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Stevie
20211202_081628.jpg

This was her prior to taking her in. As I said. Severely bloated and had issues moving around. Definitely not herself. I was concerned because it seemed she had trouble breathing... after she was on her injections of fortaz her bloatedness deducted and she returned back to her normal size.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She looked puffy for sure ! Well I wish I could help you more, it's just going to be a hard decision for you but I can understand your hesitation about getting the major surgery. Whatever you decide I wish you the best outcome ! Someone else might chime in with their own experience, there have been quite a few threads through the years about the question of whether or not to spay their dragon.

Cassidy

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Stevie
She looked puffy for sure ! Well I wish I could help you more, it's just going to be a hard decision for you but I can understand your hesitation about getting the major surgery. Whatever you decide I wish you the best outcome ! Someone else might chime in with their own experience, there have been quite a few threads through the years about the question of whether or not to spay their dragon.
I agree and thank you. I'm glad you have experience with them, I'd be even more lucky if I had vets give their opinion as well. As mentioned in my original post, I am seeking out other exotic vets opinion on the matter. Again, I really appreciate you taking the time and providing me with some opinion. Thank you

Cassidy

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Stevie
You're welcome ! Please update either way when you decide what to do.
Update :) Successful spay for her! She only had ovaries removed instead of both ovaries and oviduct removed due to her vets preference. Beginning recovery phase. Thank God.

Jjurovaty

Photo Comp Winner
Wishing the best! Thanks for being a diligent caring dragon parent! Honestly I didn't know there were vets that spay dragons so thanks for that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom