Beardie Acting Wild After Brumation- Not Eating Much

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
Hi Everyone!

Drogon is now out of brumation for about 2 months and is acting like a black-bearding lunatic :) I expect this is normal since it's happened in the past. However, he's being annoyingly picky about his food!!! He'll only eat supers, sometimes has no interest at all and won't even touch his BSFL which used to be his favorite. He's just acting super crazy and I don't want him to get any deficiencies.

Any advice on how to keep his diet in check while he's going through breeding mode?

Selkie

Groggyfroggie

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Draco
What about veggies? Try getting him to eat more veggies if he’s not interested in bugs. If temperature and uvb are fine he’s probably just grumpy going through this phase. Also you can use something like a liquid calcium if he’s not interested in the powder

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

A lot of the males will exhibit black bearding & rambunctious behavior when they come out of
brumation. Their hormones are usually higher right after brumation so he is likely running himself
crazy but it is just a phase & should decrease soon.

Tracie

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
What about veggies? Try getting him to eat more veggies if he’s not interested in bugs. If temperature and uvb are fine he’s probably just grumpy going through this phase. Also you can use something like a liquid calcium if he’s not interested in the powder
Hi there!
Drogon has never been a fan of veggies, so getting him to eat this while he's in brumation is even more difficult. I just noticed his urate was pinkish and kinda grainy. Is this from over supplementing?

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hello,

A lot of the males will exhibit black bearding & rambunctious behavior when they come out of
brumation. Their hormones are usually higher right after brumation so he is likely running himself
crazy but it is just a phase & should decrease soon.

Tracie

Hi there! That's what I figured :) It's been a month or two, but I guess still normal?
Any idea what grainy pinkish urate is from?

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom