Beardie 4 legs partial paralyzed/weak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kim44

Original Poster
Hi Diamc,

This is upsetting too! No vitamins or dusting. All the vets keep telling me that Smoke vitamin levels are good by blood work, and no MBD. He gets Oxbow Carnivore Care 3-4 times a week. There are vitamins in there. To day we see another vet.

Before he stopped eating crickets in July I used to dust them with calcium vitamin D3. I tried putting it on his greens powdered or turned it into a liquid and he would no eat at all. Smoke is very stubborn.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing?
The blood tests do show some type of infection or at least elevated white blood cell counts. The calcium levels appear
normal but the calcium to phosphorus ratio is off some but that can sometimes indicate trouble with absorption perhaps.
Changing the UVB lights out should help if he is having some trouble with absorbing his calcium.
Thus far, the uric acid levels & AST levels look in normal ranges which is good to see.
Could he have somehow hurt himself by falling, etc?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Kim44

Original Poster
In October when this started not that I know. Early November can’t remember the date, but Smoke did try and climb a pillow and he did fall maybe 15-17 inch high. That’s the only time that I’ve see anything! Is that the problem? He Was getting better, I noticed around November 18 that day I remember things started to go down hill.

Why would he continue to have elevated WBC even after all the antibiotics?

I ordered the lights, what else can I do to change the phosphorus level?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is interesting. So he was getting better before you remember him falling? Did he land on a hard or soft floor/surface?
This could be related somehow if the timing is so close but of course there are no guarantees that is what is causing this.
What insects do you feed? Insects naturally are high in phosphorus. Try to encourage him to eat more green. Once you get
the new UVB over him & his body starts being more efficient hopefully his levels will start to normalize more.
It does seem odd that the antibiotics didn't really help at all. How long have you been feeding him the Carnivore care, just since
you took him into the vets in October? Per the directions on the bag, give just the minimum for his weight & if he doesn't need to
gain weight definitely don't overfeed since it is calorie & protein rich.
Since they don't see the evidence of metabolic bone disease on x-ray, if he did possibly injure his spine, that is hard to see on the
x-rays. He could have subluxed a vertebrae because they don't have discs in their spines which makes them vulnerable to injury.
If you run your finger down the middle of his back, directly on his spine with a little bit of pressure, feel for a lump or bulge if possible.
Also see whether or not you get any type of reaction from him, as you would expect if he had pain on a certain area of his spine.

Tracie

Last edited:

Kim44

Original Poster
Tracie,

After 10/20/21 visit he was starting to get better for antibiotics. Smoke was trying to climb the pillow to get to the couch to see out the window. He did that all the time and fell on carpet. As for carnivore care, he started on 10/20/21.

Yesterday we seen a new vet. I gave all my paperwork and told Dr. everything about Smoke. She did not take blood as she said it was too soon from the last draw. She still thinks he has a infection (maybe fungal) and his calcium count was ok, but lower than it should be! I asked Dr. about that and she said his bone density could be fine, but the calcium she thinks it’s deficient. Phosphorus level not enough absorption of UVB and digestion of food is inadequate. If I remember our conversation correctly! I showed her a pic of his #2 from yesterday and the mustard greens he ate was not digested. Plus Dr. tested him for strength and his left side front and back legs had numbness. She pinched him real hard from the foot to knee and little response, but from knee to hip was responding. Plus, he now weight 624 grams was 635 grams. Dr. Seen him twitch his head a little too and she wants to retest for Adenovirus again, but with different lab facility.

New protocol

1) Antibiotic injections every other day and calcium injections everyday.

2) Increase carnivore care 8 to 10 ml daily.

3) Increase greens as you noted. She said to add parsley and cilantro.

4) Increase water offerings/bath in which I already do.

5) Change out UVB bulb, I told Dr. I was getting a new system my FRIENDS told me about (THANK YOU)! She said good!

She wants to see him back on December 17th. I have HOPE!!!

Below is the medicine she prescribed. Hopefully, we are going in the right direction!

Attachments

• 8682E1E1-9413-4EA1-96C1-5A1EAF5CB9E5.jpeg
    8682E1E1-9413-4EA1-96C1-5A1EAF5CB9E5.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 87

Kim44

Original Poster
Tracie,

Phosphoricum acidum? Someone told me who treats the homeopathic way, and they read Smoke’s info. I know what you and the new vet said about increasing the greens for that reason. What do you know about this?

Kim44

Original Poster
Tracie,

Phosphoricum acidum? Someone told me who treats the homeopathic way, and they read Smoke’s info. I know what you and the new vet said about increasing the greens for that reason. What do you know about this?

Kim44

Original Poster
By the way I did feel up and down his spine and felt nothing, no flinching either. I will keep my fingers crossed. I just hope we can solve and fix Smoke’s problem.

Thank you

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Those are great suggestions. The parsley & cilantro can help to absorb excess calcium or phosphorus that isn't being
absorbed, to help balance them out. The calcium levels look fine but sometimes can be deceiving. If he isn't getting
adequate UVB exposure then his 25 Hydroxy levels (D3 stores) can be affected, over time. That can be a primary reason
for muscular & neurological weakness.
I am glad you didn't feel any notches on his spine, either. I hope he can make a recovery. Give him some time, reptiles do
recover slowly.

Tracie

Kim44

Original Poster
The calcium was ok, but the dr said it was on the low side. Phosphorus was 0. You mentioned give time approximately how much before I start going bonkers! What do you know about phosphoricum acidum?

Thank you

Kim44

Original Poster
Ok Friends I have my new UVB bulb. What is my height from the red blanket supposed to be from his head when he sits up. Here is a picture of the setup and lamp.

Thank you
Kim

Attachments

• 93442FE0-F97B-44E0-A08E-2CBA99029DEB.jpeg
    93442FE0-F97B-44E0-A08E-2CBA99029DEB.jpeg
    287.7 KB · Views: 102
  • A407C4E3-976E-40C3-B169-63E6FF8797FB.jpeg
    A407C4E3-976E-40C3-B169-63E6FF8797FB.jpeg
    217.8 KB · Views: 99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom