Beardie 4 legs partial paralyzed/weak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I will have to do some checking on the Phosphoricum acidum as I haven't really studied on that.
As long as the calcium gluconate is dosed properly & isn't used long term, it should be fine. Keep
him well hydrated daily while he is on the calcium injections.

Tracie

SPandS

Juvie Member
He looks like he is loving the new uvb bulb. I'm a bit confused though. You say you were never told he had metabolic bone disease but the first paperwork you showed said he was diagnosed with it during the summer and were given vitamin d and calcium. When he was diagnosed did the vet not go over his lights with you?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your boy doing today? Keep us posted on him. I hope that he continues to improve for you.
Be sure to post new pictures of him when you can, since we all love to see them.

Tracie

Kim44

Original Poster
Hi Everyone,

We were never told about Smoke having MBD. All the vets told us that he did not have it!

Have very good news, Smoke has started walking. Sometimes with a major or minor limp. He walks a few steps or one or two feet at a time. It’s a major turn around from the past month. He is still taking the calcium daily and antibiotic injections. Still working on his eating, he is not really eating live insects yet! I give him his salad( mustard greens) and carnivore care mixed with blended mustard greens, parsley, cilantro and butternut squash, he eats it! We go back to the vet on Friday. Hope the progress continues.

I would sincerely like to thank you all for your help and will keep you posted. Here is a little video of my baby!

Tracie, Karrie thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_3198.mov
    437.6 KB

SPandS

Juvie Member
It's good to hear that he is starting to walk and has been eating.

Which vet are you taking him to? The same one you took him to in October? Do you see where it states he was diagnosed in the summer? The first pic you attached in post #9. If so I would ask why the paperwork says he was diagnosed with mbd in the summer but you were told he doesn't have it. It does seem like the uvb bulb he had wasn't strong enough since he seems to be improving with the new one. If the vet talked to you about the diagnosis back in the summer you could have upgraded sooner.

Kim44

Original Poster
It's good to hear that he is starting to walk and has been eating.

Which vet are you taking him to? The same one you took him to in October? Do you see where it states he was diagnosed in the summer? The first pic you attached in post #9. If so I would ask why the paperwork says he was diagnosed with mbd in the summer but you were told he doesn't have it. It does seem like the uvb bulb he had wasn't strong enough since he seems to be improving with the new one. If the vet talked to you about the diagnosis back in the summer you could have upgraded sooner.
The October 10/20/21 paperwork was from the hospital. That info in the paragraph was not correct. The vet whom we took Smoke told us to give him the calcium and vitamin D so he would not get MBD. That vet was the very first one we went to when this problem started to happen. (October 12,2021) They told us there was nothing wrong with him. They did an X-ray and even said it was not MBD. We never went back to them.

As for the UVB bulb and basking bulb I did upgrade it over a month ago, but did not know the coil bulb was inadequate. Not till I found this forum did I even know the metal screen and the bulbs would suppress his environment. All the people whom I talked to never even asked about that info. Now I take Smoke to Sylvania, OH. All the vet that I have seen have told me Smoke did not have a MBD, calcium problem. They could not give me an answer.

SPandS

Juvie Member
Well I'm glad you never went back to that vet, they didn't seem to know what they were doing and just wanted to charge you money. Hopefully the new vet has experience in reptiles. A good vet should ask about set up though. It's usually the first thing that should be checked when something is off with the beardie.

I believe it was Tracie that said something about 25 Hydroxy levels (D3 stores) and how they can be affected over time and cause issues with his muscles. It does seem like the new stronger bulb is helping and hopefully his d3 stores can recoup and his muscles can regain all their strength. If that's what the problem was.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have found most vets do not ask about husbandry which is the lifeline to the dragon-- I knew I had a good one when I took my two into Dr Nancy - she went over EVERYTHING when I took hiccup in the first time- she wanted to know the entire life of hiccup- she was/ is thorough! It is pretty bad when a vet cannot even tell you the sex of the dragon-- that should be a red flag there

Kim44

Original Poster
I have found most vets do not ask about husbandry which is the lifeline to the dragon-- I knew I had a good one when I took my two into Dr Nancy - she went over EVERYTHING when I took hiccup in the first time- she wanted to know the entire life of hiccup- she was/ is thorough! It is pretty bad when a vet cannot even tell you the sex of the dragon-- that should be a red flag there
All the Vets did ask about husbandry. I did tell them everything I did and what items I had. Only they never said anything about it!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am happy to hear he is doing better now. It is probably due to improved lighting on your UVB exposure. I wasn't able to see the
video, probably because I use Linux systems.
Is he getting around a little easier yet? We are all pulling for him so definitely let us know how he is progressing.

Tracie

Kim44

Original Poster
Hello,

I am happy to hear he is doing better now. It is probably due to improved lighting on your UVB exposure. I wasn't able to see the
video, probably because I use Linux systems.
Is he getting around a little easier yet? We are all pulling for him so definitely let us know how he is progressing.

Tracie
Sometimes he walks with a limp and no walking at all. I called the vet because it looks like his limbs and belly swell a little. It started yesterday. Vet said to stop the antibiotic (fungus) Med and calcium shot for yesterday and report back today. He got better today and notified the vet. New directions is to stop the antibiotic fungus and continue with calcium shot every other day. I put him in the bath twice today. We go back on Friday for a revisit.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So he is doing better after skipping a couple of anti-fungal medication? That is good news. It is hard to know for sure, but
maybe it was affecting his body in ways we don't understand. They are very sensitive to medications!
Let us know how he is doing & how the vet visit goes.

Tracie

Kim44

Original Poster
Actually no one day he can walk Demi ok with a limp and other days cannot walk at all. It’s weird, like today he could hardly move! I don’t understand!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, I hope he starts to do better. They do improve slowly but keep working with him.
You could consider doing some water therapy for him to help build some strength in his
legs also, but keep your hand in his bath for security for him.

Tracie

Kim44

Original Poster
Hello,

Well, I hope he starts to do better. They do improve slowly but keep working with him.
You could consider doing some water therapy for him to help build some strength in his
legs also, but keep your hand in his bath for security for him.

Tracie
Yes, I already have been doing that for Him. If you or anyone has more suggestions please send them my way. I feel so bad for him!

Thank you
Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom