Beardie 4 legs partial paralyzed/weak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kim44

My name is Kim and I have a 18 month old Bearded Dragon. For reference September he had a bowel movement that had a little blood. Since October 11, 2021 he has been sick. He has been to 4 veterinarians for exotic and they are unable to really diagnose his problem. Prior he was healthy. Diet at the time were super worms (now I know they are very fatty) and mustard greens, a little strawberries, carrots and butternut squash. (In July he stopped eating crickets and roaches, plus would not eat anything that had calcium with vitamin D3 on it.)

Symptoms:
1) Paralysis or weakness in front and rear legs. Sometimes he can walk, walk slowly with limping or unable to walk at all. This is still going on today..

2) October and the first half of November he was not eating well either. The past three weeks his eating is getting somewhat better.

Original Weight 647 grams now weighs 635 grams.

10/12/21-10/20//21
1st doctor took X-ray and " nothing was wrong."

10/20/21-10/28/21
2nd doctor at Urgent Care Hospital "Diagnosis possibly Sepsis, parasites, seen there was definitely something wrong."
Testing Bloodwork/X-ray .I have the xray and could sent it to you if you like!
X-rays (No MBD or fracture ,no impaction)
Blood panel showed high WBC, RBC told me to follow up with my vet.
Administered Meloxicam, Ceftazidime and Oxbox Omnivore Care

11/1/21-11/24/21
3rd doctor Diagnosis unknown
Testing Bloodwork Blood panel showed elevated WBC, RBC
Administered Metacam, Ceftazidime and Oxbox Carniivore Care, Milk Thistle 2000mg dose 0.01ml (twice daily)

11/24/21-12/6/21
4th doctor Diagnosis: Ataxia
Testing Bloodwork Blood panel showed elevated WBC, RBC. Tested for Adenovirus (negative)

Treatment(s) and Discussion with owners: _Discussed case and said that without a CT/MRI we will likely never know the cause of P's ataxia. Sending out adenovirus test gave 0.25mL Vit ADE, 0.12mL Dilute Vit E/Selenium. Also sending home piperacillin due to band neutrophils._
Continued Metacam, Oxbox Carniivore Care, Milk Thistle 2000mg dose 0.01ml (twice daily)

12/7/21

Will be starting on a new vet

Diet changes daily but consists of mustard greens, carrots, butternut squash, Oxbow carnivore care, baby food organic butternut squash, pumpkin and sparingly dubia roaches when he eats them.

Any advice would be helpful!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My name is Kim and I have a 18 month old Bearded Dragon. For reference September he had a bowel movement that had a little blood. Since October 11, 2021 he has been sick. He has been to 4 veterinarians for exotic and they are unable to really diagnose his problem. Prior he was healthy. Diet at the time were super worms (now I know they are very fatty) and mustard greens, a little strawberries, carrots and butternut squash. (In July he stopped eating crickets and roaches, plus would not eat anything that had calcium with vitamin D3 on it.)

Symptoms:
1) Paralysis or weakness in front and rear legs. Sometimes he can walk, walk slowly with limping or unable to walk at all. This is still going on today..

2) October and the first half of November he was not eating well either. The past three weeks his eating is getting somewhat better.

Original Weight 647 grams now weighs 635 grams.

10/12/21-10/20//21
1st doctor took X-ray and " nothing was wrong."

10/20/21-10/28/21
2nd doctor at Urgent Care Hospital "Diagnosis possibly Sepsis, parasites, seen there was definitely something wrong."
Testing Bloodwork/X-ray .I have the xray and could sent it to you if you like!
X-rays (No MBD or fracture ,no impaction)
Blood panel showed high WBC, RBC told me to follow up with my vet.
Administered Meloxicam, Ceftazidime and Oxbox Omnivore Care

11/1/21-11/24/21
3rd doctor Diagnosis unknown
Testing Bloodwork Blood panel showed elevated WBC, RBC
Administered Metacam, Ceftazidime and Oxbox Carniivore Care, Milk Thistle 2000mg dose 0.01ml (twice daily)

11/24/21-12/6/21
4th doctor Diagnosis: Ataxia
Testing Bloodwork Blood panel showed elevated WBC, RBC. Tested for Adenovirus (negative)

Treatment(s) and Discussion with owners: _Discussed case and said that without a CT/MRI we will likely never know the cause of P's ataxia. Sending out adenovirus test gave 0.25mL Vit ADE, 0.12mL Dilute Vit E/Selenium. Also sending home piperacillin due to band neutrophils._
Continued Metacam, Oxbox Carniivore Care, Milk Thistle 2000mg dose 0.01ml (twice daily)
12/7/21
Will be starting on a new vet

Diet changes daily but consists of mustard greens, carrots, butternut squash, Oxbow carnivore care, baby food organic butternut squash, pumpkin and sparingly dubia roaches when he eats them.

Any advice would be helpful!
What are you using for a uvb? Where in the tank is it top of screen or inside the tank? Basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? Please no stick ons- they are inaccurate- our vet tech mod drache613 would be able to read the x-rays and go over the blood work etc - find her name on the board and start on a Convo w/ her send her the x-rays etc - in the meantime please post lighting and temps

Kim44

Original Poster
Hello,

Prior to Smoke’s illness he was in the 40 gallon tank in the picture (basking bulb was 150watt). With the metal screen with holes. We have made many modifications due to his physical status. Now he sits on the red fleece blanket and monitor his movements and using the thermometer. (100 watt, 26watt uvb) Basking temps vary, I make sure they are consistent 95-105F. When he starts to move away I position the lighting so he does get lesser heat to cool down anywhere from 75-90F. Then transition him back to basking. I constantly check the temp and where he is located. For bedtime (60 watt), he sleeps in a 30 gallon tank temp ranges 75-85F. I constantly wake up and check on him.

Kim44

Original Poster
Thank you

Attachments

• 2374BF17-EA81-4977-A0D9-2999674F9B13.jpeg
    2374BF17-EA81-4977-A0D9-2999674F9B13.jpeg
    193.4 KB · Views: 119
  • BD6704A9-9003-4902-BD2E-91430ADCD973.jpeg
    BD6704A9-9003-4902-BD2E-91430ADCD973.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 8F71AF13-3263-4A5D-BD89-9DB360EA4C10.jpeg
    8F71AF13-3263-4A5D-BD89-9DB360EA4C10.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 122
  • DEB9F13C-4EEB-454D-9E6A-588296F18E1F.jpeg
    DEB9F13C-4EEB-454D-9E6A-588296F18E1F.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 123

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your boy is having trouble!
Is that a compact/coil light you posted there? If so, I would highly recommend that you upgrade to a high output T5 tube bulb,
instead of a much better UVB exposure for him. There is either the Reptisun 10 T5 or the Arcadia D3 12% T5, both of them are
tube bulbs. The basking bulbs you have are fine for him.
Do you have a copy of his blood test, by chance?

Tracie

Kim44

Original Poster
Hi Tracie,

I do and will send them. The only problem is since Smoke cannot walk, we put him on the floor. I have to figure out how to attach the uvb to his setup. Thank you

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes please get rid of the coil UVB -- did you say you have had that all along since he was young? Also please go to a clear bright white basking bulb and get rid of the exo terra coil bulb --- please replace w/ a Exo Terra CLEAR bright white INTENSE bulb NO INFRARED please I am sending links for the UVB please get it replaced ASAP
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood this will come w/a 5.0 bulb please get one of these bulb a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO or this one it will fix the fixture Arcadia 12% UVB T5 HO
How long has Smoke been out of the tank? With the coil UVB you are using was it ever in the tank? I am doing some research here that is why I am asking these questions - how often were you changing the 26 watt out?
Did at any time any of the vets you saw ask about the kind of UVB you were using?
You can use this to attach to the screen GE 15 ft. Cable Ties, Hook and Loop Spool, Black-10375 - The Home Depot
this is like a Velcro strap cut into strips then wrap around the fixture or you can also leave the screen off the tank and place it so its open directly above him distance for the UVB should be 12-15 inches w/ open --

Kim44

Original Poster
Smoke has been out of the tank for a week and a half. Currently his basking is100watt, UVB 26 watt coil. They are changed regularly every 6 months. Actually, those sets were purchased 1st week of November, 2021. For bedtime the 60watt red light is 3 months old. I told all the vets what I used for his environment. No one said anything about it! I am sending the results now. Thank you

Kim44

Original Poster
Smoke has been out of the tank for a week and a half. Currently his basking is100watt, UVB 26 watt coil. They are changed regularly every 6 months. Actually, those sets were purchased 1st week of November, 2021. For bedtime the 60watt red light is 3 months old. I told all the vets what I used for his environment. No one said anything about it! I am sending the results now. Thank you

Attachments

• 10-20-21-pg-1.jpg
    10-20-21-pg-1.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 10-20-21-pg-2.jpg
    10-20-21-pg-2.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 104
  • 10-20-21-pg-3.jpg
    10-20-21-pg-3.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 10-21-21-pg-4.jpg
    10-21-21-pg-4.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 106

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please get rid of the red light --- it can cause long term eye damage and it disrupts their sleep -- dragons like cool and dark - the 26 watt should have a distance of 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor piece here is some info on that bulb
The 26w version of the UVB150 is similar in output to a T8 tube when using a reflector. The beam isn't as wide (depending on the length of the tube) but the output strength is very similar. If it was sitting about 6-8'' above the main basking area then it was likely providing adequate UVB. It's the lower wattage (13w) versions that cause concern since they aren't strong enough to provide adequate UVB at a safe distance.
I would replace the 26 watt w/ what I posted for you -- they are a way better UVB and one of the best on the market at this time - I am sorry none of the vets went over his lighting and basking temps- those two things are the lifeline to the dragon --- they control the overall health and behavior of the dragon ---

Kim44

Original Poster
11/1/21 visit

Attachments

• 11-1-21-pg-1.jpg
    11-1-21-pg-1.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 11-1-21-pg-2.jpg
    11-1-21-pg-2.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 89
  • 11-1-21-pg-3.jpg
    11-1-21-pg-3.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 91

Kim44

Original Poster
11/24/21 visit

Attachments

• 11-24-21-visit.pdf
    76.7 KB · Views: 129
  • 11-24-21-Adenovirus.jpg
    11-24-21-Adenovirus.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 92

Kim44

Original Poster
Smoke's diary

Attachments

• Smoke's-Diary-pg-1.JPG
    Smoke's-Diary-pg-1.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Smoke's-Diary-pg-2.JPG
    Smoke's-Diary-pg-2.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 79
  • Smoke's-Diary-pg-3.JPG
    Smoke's-Diary-pg-3.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 93

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Kim, so sorry about your dragon having such walking difficulties. I agree with the others that you should change to a linear UVB tube, the Arcadia 12% T5 high output bulb is the best bulb. You can place it on top of your screen. The coil bulbs are too weak and they decline very rapidly so they won't prevent metabolic bone disease from setting in. :( I wondered what supplements you're dusting the food with & how often you use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom