Beardie 14 years old, always sleeping and not eating much

Ammy26

My beardie has been a lovely little guy but over the past year he has really, really slowed down.
A couple of months ago we upgraded his vivarium size, varied his enclosure, and tried giving him more variety of bugs as he was going off the ones we usually have him. He's always had fresh salad and veggies available.

This seemed to help for a while, he perked up and began exploring. However he's gone back to his old ways. He turns his nose up at most food now, he likes mealworms/morio worms, he'll eat locusts with assistance, and refuses most veg and salad except carrots and peppers usually.
We don't have any reptile vets nearby. Is this normal for a beardie of his age? How can I increase his energy levels? Should I up the amount of calcium intake?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, he's had a very long life and is at the upper end of the average beardie lifespan. You must have taken very good care of him. :) Was he acting this way before you put him in the new enclosure because relocation stress can affect them at any age when they're moved to a new home. Still, his age is the likely reason and sadly at some point they can begin to display these symptoms. Just keep him as comfortable as possible. Make sure his lighting + heat are all on point to give him the best " climate " as he declines. Best wishes to you.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Could you share a few pics of him? We all love seeing them. I agree with AHBD he has out lived the life span of most beardies, he must have had great care and love.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What a nice long life he has had! Please post pictures of him, we would all love to see him.
He is a lucky little boy, for sure.
We can go over your tank setup if you would like, just to be sure everything is up to par, which
I am sure that it is. Your supplementation type & schedule would be terrific if possible.

Tracie

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom