Beardi very active

jabda

Hatchling Member
I purchased my BD (1st BD) from a local breeder (sole means of support) on March 2, 2022. Breeder said he was 3 months old.
Well, Jethro is a big boy for his age.
He was 533grams, put on diet, atm about 450grams. Eats well, both insects, Dubia roaches & superworms, crickets too hard to care. (die & stink). Veggies every other day, calcium & vitamins alternate on 5 day schedule.
When purchased, breeder offered fecal testing at 8 months making sure I was feeding properly and no problems. Test results, sight pinworms which he said all dragon have and the amount was extremely low. But we treated to be sure. Latest result were OK. Breeder said because he's big that he may be a little older than he stated because 2 clutches were hatched and when he went on vacation the person taking care may have mixed them up. Which was no big deal to me.
I'm pretty sure my setup is correct but in order to get the basking temp at 95 I added an additional Zoo Med100w bulb since bulbs are on screen for a 40 gal tank. UVB 3/4 length of tank (brand recommenced by breeder) Lights on 6am, lights off 7pm Out of tank about 2 hours roaming around room and lying on my chest and chair. His last feeding is no later than 5pm. Poop good, most of the time daily, sometimes every other.
Vivarium Electronic Thermo-Hygrometer placed on back wall center, probe close to ground but not touching. Temp 95, Humidity 29 - Removed water dish, added too much humidity (over 50) Doesn't drink water so he's bathed once a week on Saturday for hydration. Head misted to lick water and veggies misted.
Has a good urine pouch with poop.
Question 1. - Am I doing everything right?
Question 2. - Should I just get 150W and eliminate one 100w?

Advice two...
For the last few days he's become very active. Running across the tank, glass surfing, waving, head bobbing.
Question 3. With all these changes in behavior is my boy going thru puberty?
Do I need to find a girlfriend? I know males have no mating season; and females in spring beginning in March.
The citrus BD is what my brother and I were hoping to breed. She's 2 years old. We were waiting for Jethro to be 1 1/2 years old.
Think I covered all bases.
Thanks for the advice.

Attachments

• jethro 13222.jpg
    jethro 13222.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 121
  • jethroaug1322.jpg
    jethroaug1322.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 73
  • temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 79
  • citrus.jpg
    citrus.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 84

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I purchased my BD (1st BD) from a local breeder (sole means of support) on March 2, 2022. Breeder said he was 3 months old.
Well, Jethro is a big boy for his age.
He was 533grams, put on diet, atm about 450grams. Eats well, both insects, Dubia roaches & superworms, crickets too hard to care. (die & stink). Veggies every other day, calcium & vitamins alternate on 5 day schedule.
When purchased, breeder offered fecal testing at 8 months making sure I was feeding properly and no problems. Test results, sight pinworms which he said all dragon have and the amount was extremely low. But we treated to be sure. Latest result were OK. Breeder said because he's big that he may be a little older than he stated because 2 clutches were hatched and when he went on vacation the person taking care may have mixed them up. Which was no big deal to me.
I'm pretty sure my setup is correct but in order to get the basking temp at 95 I added an additional Zoo Med100w bulb since bulbs are on screen for a 40 gal tank. UVB 3/4 length of tank (brand recommenced by breeder) Lights on 6am, lights off 7pm Out of tank about 2 hours roaming around room and lying on my chest and chair. His last feeding is no later than 5pm. Poop good, most of the time daily, sometimes every other.
Vivarium Electronic Thermo-Hygrometer placed on back wall center, probe close to ground but not touching. Temp 95, Humidity 29 - Removed water dish, added too much humidity (over 50) Doesn't drink water so he's bathed once a week on Saturday for hydration. Head misted to lick water and veggies misted.
Has a good urine pouch with poop.
Question 1. - Am I doing everything right?
Question 2. - Should I just get 150W and eliminate one 100w?

Advice two...
For the last few days he's become very active. Running across the tank, glass surfing, waving, head bobbing.
Question 3. With all these changes in behavior is my boy going thru puberty?
Do I need to find a girlfriend? I know males have no mating season; and females in spring beginning in March.
The citrus BD is what my brother and I were hoping to breed. She's 2 years old. We were waiting for Jethro to be 1 1/2 years old.
Think I covered all bases.
Thanks for the advice.
What brand and bulb are you using for a UVB? they have certain placement and distance and the screen is going to determine where the UVB goes. I would move the hygrometer probe to center back wall of the tank. Optimal humidity is 40-50% nothing under 20 and over 70%
Hes going thru puberty w/ the head bobbing and waving etc. I would look at upgrading your tank to a 75 or 120 gallon they are the recommended size for an adult dragon. How are you getting the surface basking temps? They need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer they are the most accurate

jabda

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The breeder purchased the UVB for me. T5 HO Grow Light , Florescent Hydro Foot w/ Reflector,
said it's the only one he uses. I have researched the humidity and most say 30%... now confused!
With (1) 100w bulb I was getting 45-52% humidity.
Vivarium Electronic Thermo-Hygrometer placed on back wall center, probe close to ground but not touching.
UVB covers 3/4 length of tank

Tank's only a few months old, can't afford larger tank at this point, maybe in the future. He has enough room to run around. Removed most of the decor, only few rocks, piece of wood for basking, escape proof dish & lounge hammock.
Ordered 8ft. twist vine. He like to sleep on an old internet cord I've twisted up.
Thoughts on (2) 100w changing to (1) 150w...
UVB fixture about 15 -16 inches from basking area.
Pictures:
1. Escape proof dish
2. Probe position
3. Tonight sleeping w/ view of entire tank. Only thing missing log that is positioned on left side tank in front between (2) rocks. He missed the paper and some poo got on so it's
disinfected, washed and outside to dry.
4. Closer pic of his size
Thanks

Attachments

• zoom.jpg
    zoom.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 67
  • sleeping.jpg
    sleeping.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 74
  • probe.jpg
    probe.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 68
  • dish.jpg
    dish.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 66

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The breeder purchased the UVB for me. T5 HO Grow Light , Florescent Hydro Foot w/ Reflector,
said it's the only one he uses. I have researched the humidity and most say 30%... now confused!
With (1) 100w bulb I was getting 45-52% humidity.
Vivarium Electronic Thermo-Hygrometer placed on back wall center, probe close to ground but not touching.
UVB covers 3/4 length of tank

Tank's only a few months old, can't afford larger tank at this point, maybe in the future. He has enough room to run around. Removed most of the decor, only few rocks, piece of wood for basking, escape proof dish & lounge hammock.
Ordered 8ft. twist vine. He like to sleep on an old internet cord I've twisted up.
Thoughts on (2) 100w changing to (1) 150w...
UVB fixture about 15 -16 inches from basking area.
Pictures:
1. Escape proof dish
2. Probe position
3. Tonight sleeping w/ view of entire tank. Only thing missing log that is positioned on left side tank in front between (2) rocks. He missed the paper and some poo got on so it's
disinfected, washed and outside to dry.
4. Closer pic of his size
Thanks
I am sorry but your dragon needs more decor pieces -- and he has no hide please get him one- your dragon needs a Reptisun 10.0 HO T 5 NOT a grow light- hes a desert animal and grow lights are for plants - please replace as soon as possible $20 - the probe needs to be placed on the spot he sits to bask and surface basking temps need to be 95-100 --- the probe does not need to stay there but you can stick to the side of the tank and check every 10 days or so- you must get a surface basking temp before changing out basking bulbs - thats going to tell you what you need to do - you do not want to burn the dragon up or have it too cold for him to not be able to start digestion - the surface basking temps and UVB are the MOST important things in that tank - if they are incorrect your dragon will get sick - please show me the screen on your tank - this is going to determine where that UVB needs to be placed and distanced-

jabda

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Following your instructions: Going get Reptisun 10.0 HO T 5
I have a cave that came with the setup. Took it out because too big, adding back in,
going to reposition probe. I think I'll move cave to the corner and eliminate the lounge.
He's too big for it and likes the mountain better.
What about eliminating (1) 100w basking bulb and replacing the other 100w with a 150w?
My temp are 95-100 basking side 30-35% humidity with both bulbs.
Thank for your help, I really appreciate it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Following your instructions: Going get Reptisun 10.0 HO T 5
I have a cave that came with the setup. Took it out because too big, adding back in,
going to reposition probe. I think I'll move cave to the corner and eliminate the lounge.
He's too big for it and likes the mountain better.
What about eliminating (1) 100w basking bulb and replacing the other 100w with a 150w?
My temp are 95-100 basking side 30-35% humidity with both bulbs.
Thank for your help, I really appreciate it.
You want your basking temps 95-100- are you getting the 95-100 w/ one bulb or two? You can try the 150 watt by itself no other bulbs on - see what your getting for temps w/ that but if your already getting the temps you need w/ one 100 watt bulb do it that way. If not try the 150 and see what you get

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Forgot to post pics...
1. Screen with UVB light
2. Cave added
You have a Sunblaster fixture? And you have a wide hole screen as well. The fixture can sit on top of your screen but you would want your distance for your UVB 8-10 inches directly above your basking decor.

jabda

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
You have a Sunblaster fixture? And you have a wide hole screen as well. The fixture can sit on top of your screen but you would want your distance for your UVB 8-10 inches directly above your basking decor.
Getting 95-100 w/ (2) bulbs.
UVB fixture sitting on top of screen, @ 9ins from cave top
I think the setup will work once I change out UVB light.
Again, Thank you

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Getting 95-100 w/ (2) bulbs.
UVB fixture sitting on top of screen, @ 9ins from cave top
I think the setup will work once I change out UVB light.
Again, Thank you
Its trial and error w/ basking bulbs- are you using a double dome or a single dome- you can try and 75 watt as well w/ the 100. It seems like a over kill w/ 2 100 watt bulbs

Jjurovaty

Photo Comp Winner
I totally understand it's hard to always afford new tanks, not sure what others would recommend on this, personally that's a big boy for that tank. Needs some more space. Granted the more space you give the more he will grow, but he needs to be able to move around. If you can't afford to buy, consider building, there are plenty of DIY videos, get creative! Part of being a bearded parent lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom