Beardey not eating after laying eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

olivia47

Hi I have a dragon who is about 3 years old-recently found out he was a she after laying around 30 eggs. She has not eaten proper since-around 1 and half weeks now, her colour is consently changing and seems to have no life in her!! Any suggestions please.

teebee

Here's a post of mine from last year...

Ozzie, my 2± year old female BD was to the point where she couldn't move any of her legs. She slithered like a snake to move around.

I'm sure it was due to a lack of calcium after laying 3 clutches of eggs.

She didn't eat for days and I thought that she would soon die.

After reading here about feeding BD's by putting the food on their nose, I fed her some Fluker's Repta-aid which after a couple of tries, she ate 6cc worth.

Next day I added Bone-aid to the Repta-aid. She showed improvement after 2 hours.

Next day she was back to normal! Running all over the house and actually eating more greens than ever before.

Good Luck.

I know people who say to feed preggies that just layed eggs a pinkie mouse.

its full of fat n protein to help boost their weight back up.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hello there,
It is vastly important to get your dragon eating again after they lay. A healthy beardie mom should immediately regain her appetite.
She also needs vitamins and calcium right away.
If she is refusing to eat on her own you need to buy yourself some organic chicken/turkey and squash/veggie babyfood.
Mix up the babyfood with her calcium and vitamins and start dabbing it on her nose. Hopefully she will lick it off, but if she doesnt unfortunatly you will need to start syringe feeding her.
If this is the case post back here again and I can coach you through the easiest way of opening your dragons mouth.
It is imperitive to get her protien and calcium levels back up.

Suppliments like Critical Care and ReptiAid can also really help her recover.

If after a couple of days she has not started to show any improvement in her appetite you will need to get her to a vet.
My girl Dexter laid two clutches of eggs and did not regain her appetite. I syringe fed her for 3 weeks but after recieving blood tests I found out it was too late to save my darling girl.
I am not by any means trying to panic you, but I want you to be aware that if things dont improve it is very important to get her checked out at the vets and especially to have a blood test taken.

Could you tell me what lighting you are using?
What UVB bulb? (please list thebrand, it will be imprinted on the bulb)
What basking bulb are you using?
What are your temperatures?
Are you bathing your dragon? They can be very dehydrated after laying.

All the best.
Holly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom