Beardee post fungal treatment help.

have a beardee about 2/3 years old his name is scar. When I received him as a kid he has always had odd skin problems that included growing extra skin on some areas but it never bothered his daily Activities and eating habits. Not too long ago he had a fungal infection and I hd it taken care of around September. They told me to bathe him and spray him with this anti fungi spray and I have as well as bathe him daily or every other day when I feel like I been having him in water long enough. Lately I noticed all the old infected skin is just drying up getting real hard and not shedding off. I have tried bathing him and I don’t want to try and scratch off his skin cause I know that’s not good for the lizard. I would only assist him with hard skin that is easily able to be rubbed off. I have brought him to a vet and they face him his shots and I got the anti fungal Liquids from them as well but his skin is very dry not wanting to shed. He eats fine and poops fine and is active. Any suggestions on what I’m supposed to do to help him out? I would highly appreciate any recommendations.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 155
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 73

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh wow, Scar still has a very active and serious case of what looks like yellow fungus disease. What type of meds. is he on ? Has the vet taken a skin scraping ? Beardies with Y.F. really shouldn't be bathed, it can actually spread the fungus . What antifungal cream are you using ? Is Scar still eating ? What are the shots for and how many has he been given ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
have a beardee about 2/3 years old his name is scar. When I received him as a kid he has always had odd skin problems that included growing extra skin on some areas but it never bothered his daily Activities and eating habits. Not too long ago he had a fungal infection and I hd it taken care of around September. They told me to bathe him and spray him with this anti fungi spray and I have as well as bathe him daily or every other day when I feel like I been having him in water long enough. Lately I noticed all the old infected skin is just drying up getting real hard and not shedding off. I have tried bathing him and I don’t want to try and scratch off his skin cause I know that’s not good for the lizard. I would only assist him with hard skin that is easily able to be rubbed off. I have brought him to a vet and they face him his shots and I got the anti fungal Liquids from them as well but his skin is very dry not wanting to shed. He eats fine and poops fine and is active. Any suggestions on what I’m supposed to do to help him out? I would highly appreciate any recommendations.
Please no more baths----- we need Tracie our vet tech to help here she is on late at night and another person AHBD can also help here
@Drache613
@AHBD

Showtimedenson

Original Poster
Oh wow, Scar still has a very active and serious case of what looks like yellow fungus disease. What type of meds. is he on ? Has the vet taken a skin scraping ? Beardies with Y.F. really shouldn't be bathed, it can actually spread the fungus . What antifungal cream are you using ? Is Scar still eating ? What are the shots for and how many has he been given ?
Thank you so much for a reply it means a ton to me. He has been sprayed with this liquid called chlorhexidine. Scar is still eating his worms and mixed greens. He was givin around 2 shots a week throughout a 3/4 week span. But then we finished visiting the vet at the end of September. They would tell me to wash him and watch over him and that’s all they really never told me to come back in or things like that so I thought everything was fine. Ever since then I just been trying to spray him with the spray

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, good to hear that he's still eating, Scar is one tough cookie ! The chlorhexidine spray is good, there's also an oral med called voriconazole that some vets prescribe. That's about all you can do, some people also use Lamisil antifungal cream but I don't really how effective or which of all these treatments are the best. Keep up the good work though ! Can you post pics of Scar's enclosure + lights if you get the time ?

Showtimedenson

Original Poster
Here’s pictures of his cage. I usually have a dog pad on top of the Matt so he can walk on that instead. His light was just changed last week. I placed the thermometer on the other side of the tank and it be around 80/90 degrees.

Attachments

• 563821B7-B7F8-4A92-97C3-F5C9924F3B67.jpeg
    563821B7-B7F8-4A92-97C3-F5C9924F3B67.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 72
  • A6AB3873-1A0C-498D-B853-7204CB27B473.jpeg
    A6AB3873-1A0C-498D-B853-7204CB27B473.jpeg
    259.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 543E066E-9C25-492A-8A4A-23CC330297F8.jpeg
    543E066E-9C25-492A-8A4A-23CC330297F8.jpeg
    226.6 KB · Views: 70
  • C806B203-52AC-4B9E-8D7C-ED7F297CBD41.jpeg
    C806B203-52AC-4B9E-8D7C-ED7F297CBD41.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 75

Showtimedenson

Original Poster
The vet has never done a skin scraping or anything of that nature. If anything they used to try and touch certain parts of his skin and gave him scabs on his face which I didn’t like. They only told me to mist him and then that’s all really. I had to call them to ask them where I could get more anti fungal spray and that was the last time I was in communication with them. The extra dead skin can be scraped off some of it though but I didn’t want to harm him so I would let it come off on it’s own or if there was easy pieces to get off I would assist him. The thermostat in the previous picture says 50 degrees but I think that it’s glitched because I bought a brand new bulb the week prior.

Attachments

• F9939645-C781-421E-9DDA-E71F955E7C01.jpeg
    F9939645-C781-421E-9DDA-E71F955E7C01.jpeg
    222.3 KB · Views: 68

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Scar looks comfy in his hammock. :) It's best to take the water bowl out, maybe put it in once a week if he drinks from it. Then take it out at night. He might benefit from a long tube uvb , the coil bulbs are not nearly strong enough. A couple of good brands are the Reptisun 10.0 t5 or the Arcadia D3 12-14%. How many watts is his heat bulb ? Did the vet give you more chlorhexidine spray ? If not, be sure to get more or I think you can buy it over the counter but need to be sure there are instructions if it needs to be diluted.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The vet has never done a skin scraping or anything of that nature. If anything they used to try and touch certain parts of his skin and gave him scabs on his face which I didn’t like. They only told me to mist him and then that’s all really. I had to call them to ask them where I could get more anti fungal spray and that was the last time I was in communication with them. The extra dead skin can be scraped off some of it though but I didn’t want to harm him so I would let it come off on it’s own or if there was easy pieces to get off I would assist him. The thermostat in the previous picture says 50 degrees but I think that it’s glitched because I bought a brand new bulb the week prior.
Please get back into a reptile vet heres a website to find one in your area- www.arav.org if your in a small area please type in a bigger cities zip code- please get rid of the coil uvb they are inadequate - you want a long tube fixture-- I can post links to so e good uvb's- - but please get him into a vet as soon as you can

Showtimedenson

Original Poster
If you don’t mind Can you put them links to the lights/light set up that are necessary onto the thread. The vet did give me spray but then it ran out so I ended up calling them and they sent me an amazon link to where I can grab more. I will check out the website right now and try to find a vet that is close. By to me asap. Thank you so much for the help I’ve been worried for so long now trying to figure out what to do. I want to make sure scar lives a a good happy scaly lizard life.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If you don’t mind Can you put them links to the lights/light set up that are necessary onto the thread. The vet did give me spray but then it ran out so I ended up calling them and they sent me an amazon link to where I can grab more. I will check out the website right now and try to find a vet that is close. By to me asap. Thank you so much for the help I’ve been worried for so long now trying to figure out what to do. I want to make sure scar lives a a good happy scaly lizard life.
Ok so your tank is a 40 gallon ? I would recommend getting a 24 watt Arcadia w/ a 12% bulb - Pet Smart sells them or you can get them on line Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Heating & Lighting | PetSmart
or this one you will need to replace the bulb in this fixture w/ a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5
https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster...mp.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU5MDEiOiI2NjA0In0= you want the 2 ft or 24" fixture
Zoo Med seems to be out of the places I send people to but the Arcadia is real good along w / the Sunblaster
also your basking bulb looks yellowish I would recommend it be a solid bright white bulb like a Exo Terra Intense or Flukers or Zoo Med Repti basking or a Arcadia Halogen --- please get 2 digital probe thermometers - Zoo Med Digital Thermometer you need this for the hammock hes on -- you want actual surface basking temps --

Showtimedenson

Original Poster
Thank you so much again for all of this information. I will schedule an appointment with a vet tomorrow I found someone about 30 minutes away and I will buy those lights asap. This means a lot to me and scar and I am highly appreciative of your help!!

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom