Bearded eats copper penny

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetLVR2022

Beardie name(s)
Lizzy
My bearded dragon just swallowed a penny. Saw she was trying to suck it up, and tried stopping her - bit the crap out of my finger, blood everywhere. She did swallow the penny unfortunately. Called an Exotic Vet who said it probably won't pass and she needs surgery, can't afford the surgery $300+. Will keep an eye on her and if she gets sick or acting like she is in pain, will have her put to sleep. WARNING TO LIZARD OWNERS - they will eat anything, keep them away from pennies and other small objects. Please keep them safe!

Crying my hear out!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My bearded dragon just swallowed a penny. Saw she was trying to suck it up, and tried stopping her - bit the crap out of my finger, blood everywhere. She did swallow the penny unfortunately. Called an Exotic Vet who said it probably won't pass and she needs surgery, can't afford the surgery $300+. Will keep an eye on her and if she gets sick or acting like she is in pain, will have her put to sleep. WARNING TO LIZARD OWNERS - they will eat anything, keep them away from pennies and other small objects. Please keep them safe!

Crying my hear out!
@CooperDragon
@AHBD
@Drache613

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How big is she? An adult may be big enough to pass a penny through eventually. I think the advantage here is that the penny is rounded and not likely to catch or cut anything internally. The size may make it difficult to pass through, but offering a few drops of olive oil and some syringes of baby food applesauce/squash/pumpkin or other soft foods may help her to pass it through. I would probably hold off on surgery for now and see if she can pass it on her own over the next week or so. If it comes down to it, I'd imagine the progress could be monitored by x-ray to see if it is stuck or not, but that could wind up costing quite a bit as well (and surgery may still be needed).

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
What they could have done right away is lightly sedate her and retrieved it with an endoscope down her throat, they might still be able to so call any emergency vet or drive to one. Other than that it might pass through with some olive oil + light meals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom