Bearded Draon - Holding Mouth Slightly Open

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xazzak

Hatchling Member
Smaug hasn't always done this, but I've been noticing lately that he has his mouth open, ever so slightly (cracked open). I know he's not doing this to thermo-regulate, because if he's doing that, he actually opens his mouth wider. He's been doing this even when he's not basking.

He doesn't keep his mouth like this all the time, but it still seems odd. Has anyone else ever had their dragon doing this on a regular basis? Is it a cause of concern...perhaps an underlining health issue?

Xazzak

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Not that I've ever noticed. He does occasionally puff his beard out though...usually its sometime after waking up, but before basking. I don't think he's puffing up as a sign of aggression or defense, but more like he's stretching/exercising it, if that makes sense.

Here's a photo of what he looks like when doing it.
full

My beardie stretches her beard in the morning too. I wouldnt worry too much as long as he isnt making any clicking or gasping sounds. Beautiful beardie btw. :)

Xazzak

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you. So as I was feeding Smaug today he had his little mouth gaped open a little and then did some opening and closing of his mouth. I'm not sure if the sound I heard was a clicking or smacking sound. What does it mean if there's a clicking sound?

It could mean an upper respiratory infection. Which I have personally never dealt with. But I know that if he did by chance have one he would need antibiotics. I would keep an eye on it for a few days and if he is still doing it. Take him to an exotic reptile veterinarian and they can decide what antibiotics he needs. Or even see if its something else. But I have always heard a clicking or gasping sound can mean a respiratory infection. I wish you luck. It could be nothing so dont worry too much unless it continues.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Have you double checked the temperatures to be sure he isn't getting too hot?
A lot of them do like to hold their mouths open slightly sometimes & as suggested, most of the time it isn't due to a respiratory infection. If you are not seeing any symptoms or he isn't acting ill then he shouldn't have a respiratory infection.
What type & brand of UVB lights do you have & how old are they?
Sometimes holding their mouth open all of the time can indicate early calcium issues, too which stems from improper UVB lighting.

Tracie

Xazzak

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Tracie,
The UVB I'm using is 24" a ReptiSun 10.0. It is getting close to replacing the bulb (I replace it every 6 months, give or take a couple of weeks). He can get within 6" of the bulb as well at his basking spot. I just got our new 4'x2'x2' enclosure, so hopefully, I will soon be moving everything over there in the next few days. As you know, it's difficult tell if bearded dragons are sick or not. He probably only spends about half of the day basking...if he ever has stress marks at all, they're so minor that it may only look like tiny dots, but any stress indicators for Smaug seem very small or rare, his belly is usually all white.

Smaug is about 12-13 months old now, around 455 grams and 16" long.

The one thing I know that changed was my basking light fixture (same wattage bulb), which was prior to the changes I've noticed in him. My larger fixture broke, so I'm using the smaller one I had, however the peak center reading of the basking spot is usually 100-110 degrees, surrounding areas in the low 90s, upper 80s. I'm hoping that my new hard top wooden enclosure I got will retain heat a little better and provide a better heat gradient. Because of our work schedule and light schedule (timer), I'm only able to feed him once a day, at night when we get home from work. We have a basking spot for him on the back of the couch (clamp lamp) which is usually where I feed him and let him have social time with us out of the enclosure, which he seems to enjoy a lot. I let him chill here for the 2 hour period to digest his food, then mist him, put him back under the basking spot for 15 minutes, or until dry, then put him to bed. I figured a couple of hours away from the UVB should be OK, since he's exposed to it all day while we're at work. We usually let him out for a couple of hours a day on weekend days as well. Smaug will move out of each basking spot as he needs to to thermo-regulate, and will move back when he's ready. Sometimes I put him back though if he spends to much time away from it after eating (I check his body's surface temps with my temp gun).

The only things going on with Smaug lately, that seem "out of the ordinary" are as follows:
Spending less time basking than he used to.
Slightly cracked open mouth, fairly often.
He has this patch of scales on top of his head (above the mouth) that are abnormally dry and feel slightly raised.
He also has this ONE spike scale on his back that has a shed attached, that will NOT come off (going on 2 months now), despite daily to every other day misting and warm soaks twice a week.
He has also started eating less (20-30 crickets) + veggies for his meal. He used to eat 80-100 crickets a day, and very little veggies. I wrote on this in a different post and was told that it's normal for their food intake to slow down as they get older. In regards to his eating as a whole, I don't recall him ever going a day without wanting to eat. When I weigh him, I try to not weigh him after eating, and not before pooping, but it doesn't always work out that way as I usually weigh him on Sundays. Sometimes he seems to have weight loss, but he has consistent weight increases over time, since I've had him.

I keep a log of everything he eats, dustings, poop and weekly weight measurements, in an excel sheet. I'm currently dusting crickets with Calcium+D3 (ZooMed) 6 days a week, and a MV (ReptiCal) dusting once a week. His crickets are feed staple veggies that I would feed him, usually alternating between collards, mustard greens, butternut squash and green beans. I also keep a 'Fluker's High-Calcium Cricket Diet' (8% calcium) in food bowls for the crickets, mainly for the crude protein, as it stops them from cannibalizing each other. If anything, I've recently had a concern of "am I giving him too much calcium?"

Smaug gives me a lot of troubles eating his veggies. I often have to gently rub a veggie around his mouth and wait for him to open up and eat it, but I've never once gotten him to willing eat veggies on his own. He will even turn his head away or dodge it when he doesn't want anymore veggies...just like a stubborn child. He LOVES cricket time though and willingly goes for them, although I feed him "trough style" from a Tupperware container (he's so spoiled, won't work for/chase his food anymore).

For the most part,, Smaug is pretty chill and sits in one place, but occasionally he gets adventurous and wants to explore or he'll come over to cuddle and be petted.

I haven't noticed any labored breathing, or coughing sounds coming from him, he usually stretches his beard out in the mornings when he wakes up, before basking. His poop schedule isn't very predictable, sometimes he poops daily, sometimes he may not poop for 3-5 days. On average though, I'd say he poops every other day.

I know that's a lot of randomly put together info, but maybe something in there stands out to you all who more experienced beardie owners than me.

Thanks again all.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Your setup sounds terrific & I highly doubt it is UVB related in the least. Since you change out the bulb often & he does bask quite a bit most of the time he should be getting adequate coverage especially being able to be 6 or so inches from the bulb. The basking light is placed right beside it?
You answered your own question! At his age, he wont need calcium quite that often. They can get too much calcium which can cause softening of the bones & demineralization due to a calcium:phosphorus ratio. As far as D3, I would only give the calcium with D3 2 times per week & then plain calcium 1 time per week without D3. That should be plenty for him, as long as he does ingest it, that is.
It is very normal for him to slow down on his eating as well as on his protein. He will still finish more growing into his 2nd year now but will gradually decrease his insect intake to include more greens/veggies, hopefully.
Smaug is a great name, too I love it. He is nice sized for his age & should lengthen a bit more as he matures. His weight is very good as well. :D
How is he doing today?

Tracie

Xazzak

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Tracie,
Thank you for the tips on calcium, I will see if the pet store sells a calcium supplement without D3. Yes, his basking light is relatively close to his UVB bulb and he seems OK today, but I'm not fully convinced that there's not something wrong...he just seems so mopey as of late. Today for example, once the lights came on from the timer, he didn't crawl out of his blanket until 3 hours later, and then just sat around the cool side of his enclosure. I left a little while later to attend a family get together, but my girlfriend reported that he did get up to bask on his own, but not for long...she said maybe for an hour (I was gone for around two hours).

I sat outside today, with him on my shoulder, for around 15 minutes so he could soak up some natural sunlight and then I fed him some crickets. When I put him back in his enclosure on his basking spot, he has stayed there, but just kind of lays there. Normally, Smaug would sit "perked up" while basking. By that I mean he would have the front half of his body pushed up with his arms, but lately he just lays flat and still has his mouth slightly cracked open most of the time. I am considering taking him to a vet on Thursday when I get paid, only because he seems a little off from his normal behavior.

His setup has pretty much stayed the same for a long time and hasn't changed around much. I know, it looks very boring, but seems functional. I plan on creating a more fun and realistic environment for his new 4'x2'x2' enclosure, but I haven't assembled it yet because it's still smells of fumes from the polyurethane coatings. To be absolutely safe, I won't move him over until I no longer smell fumes. If you're curious about what his new enclosure looks like, you can see photos of it in my post about "Custom Enclosures by K & M Dragons". I have attached a couple of pictures below of his current home and how he's been laying. It's somewhat difficult to tell, but the UVB fixture runs diagonally along the inside, and the basking fixture sits above the screen mesh, on the front right side of the mesh top. I used a tape measure to measure the vertical distance from UVB bulb edge to his body on the basking spot; from the the edge of the UVB bulb, to the top of his body, was around 7".

full

full

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Smaug looks good there, very sweet. :D
The only thing I can suggest to maybe move his platform over a bit more so he can sit more towards & underneath of the UVB. He will still get the basking light exposure, too. You could also move the basking light over a little more too, so when you move him it will overlap more. The tank is basic but that is ok, since it's functional.
Did he enjoy going outside? That should have perked him up some.
He could possibly just be slowing down for brumation or did he already brumate?
We have a male who brumates in May/June time frame & he has done so since he was younger & has always been fine.
Maybe they can do some bloodwork, just to make sure nothing else is going on!

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Xazzak

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Tracie,
I have moved the platform and basking fixture to a more centered location so he's directly under part of the 24" UVB bulb. As of right now, he's currently perked up while he's basking, and he ate some green beans this morning, but not much. He does seem to enjoy soaking up the natural sunlight so I'm going to try and start doing that every weekend as a treat for him...he does however get somewhat nervous seeing the outside world, just because he's not used used to seeing SO much. I don't think it's anything relating to brumation. I believe he went through his 1st brumation around this past winter season. He was sleeping a lot more during that time, but appears to be a beardie who still stays active during brumation and not sleeping the whole time like some. I'm actually on vacation this week so I can certainly monitor his behavior closer than I normally could. His poop today looked a little odd, almost like a slimy coating over it (see below).

full

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The stool still looks pretty normal to me, the urates appear soft overall.
So he did somewhat slow down this past winter then, partially? Ok, then he is just being stubborn right now hopefully. Moving the platform over some may have helped some?
Definitely try outdoor time too, that can really boost them a lot! Most tend to get nervous at first when they aren't used to what they are seeing.
At least he did eat some though, that is good news. His physical condition looks very good so no worries there right now. :D
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Xazzak

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes, partially for brumation. I do agree and think moving the platform to be under the uvb more, is better.

I also have noticed that his mouth seems to be salivating more than it used to. No liquid coming out of his nose or mouth, but there's a noticeably large amount of salivia in his mouth when he's eating. Is that a sign of anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom