Bearded dragon's side cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeckoCandy

My cat busted the screen top to the tank and got my baby beardie out! :( Now he's got this gash in his side and I'm so worried. I know he needs a vet but I can't get him to one at this very moment.

It looks like maybe it's JUST the scale layer that has come off and there may be a layer of thin membrane protecting the organs inside and keeping them in. He's in a lot of pain I can tell, I just don't know what to do for him. I gave him a betadine bath and cleaned him up (he was a little furry). He's alert and looks around occasionally but for the most part seems to want to sleep the pain away.

IMG_1259_zps7e125fab.jpg

IMG_1260_zps4d5cd42f.jpg

IMG_1261_zps375699e7.jpg

What else can I do for him until I can get him to the vet?

After I finished typing this he started crawling around like he was fine. He's black bearding and very dark stomach but I think he's just scared and hurt.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

OH I am so sorry that happened! :cry:
When can you get him to the vet? That needs to be sewn up. There was no blood? It looks amazingly in tact & the organ looks fine? Is that correct? If the membrane covering it has not been damaged then they can just stitch it up.
Do you have any sterile saline solution you can soak it with, upon putting some sterile gauze on it? I wouldn't put any antibiotic ointment on it, as it is tender enough. You absolutely have to keep it moist though & saline solution with a dressing will keep it until you can get him into a vet.
I am sure he is scared, traumatized & in shock to a point. Try to keep him calm & remove any loose substrate that is in the tank & use paper towels for now.
I am not sure if that is the stomach, or small intestine but it looks in intact.
Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Any updates for us? Just wondering if you were able to get him to a vet today & if so, how things went.
I hope he is doing better.

Tracie

Jaskotch

Juvie Member
just jumping in here, isn't there some kind of surgical glue that could be used in a case like this? i'm not making any recommendation here, i am just wondering if anyone knows, because it seems like something like that could be a lifesaver in certain situations...

VerriKerri

Hatchling Member
Jaskotch":b8tuy9xe said:
just jumping in here, isn't there some kind of surgical glue that could be used in a case like this? i'm not making any recommendation here, i am just wondering if anyone knows, because it seems like something like that could be a lifesaver in certain situations...

They make liquid bandaid but I'm not sure if it would be safe to use with bearded dragons or any pets for that matter.

sjsexotics

Hatchling Member
dont use liquid bandage. It hurts really really bad and can not be used on deep wonunds. Super glue can be used but I personally wouldn't. I have hear of a ton of people useing super glue on themselves to close deep open wounds and this is not completely open so it could be used. He is a beautiful little dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom