Bearded dragon's bruise remaining as is, not healing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi im sorry about posting again about the same topic but everything keeps updating. So basically my bearded dragon got a small bruise under his mouth (which I feel awful about) a while ago. I went to the vet and they said it was infected. So I then did the antibiotic injections and for 8 injections and the size of the bruise seemed to decrease. Then I did it two more times for a total of 10 injections (which was the number of injections that the vet recommended) and nothing really changed. I'm not a vet but I thought that this would mean that there is no infection left, just a bruise. Now I am using raw honey multiple times a day to prevent reinfection. However the bruise doesn't seem to be healing. Should I go to the vet again? Should I just be patient and see if it heals overtime? If he shed over it then would it heal? Any responses are much appreciated and thanks to anyone who has responded to my posts about this topic in the past.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I looked back and saw that this started way back in May so I don't know how a bruise would have lasted that long. Has it looked like that all this time ? Do you think that your poor guy is scraping it on something, is there any blood at all?

TackoFallForPres

Original Poster
AHBD":1c6noj3p said:
I looked back and saw that this started way back in May so I don't know how a bruise would have lasted that long. Has it looked like that all this time ? Do you think that your poor guy is scraping it on something, is there any blood at all?

Thanks for responding. Basically after he got the bruise for about 2 months it was the same, not that big and it wasn't really healing or getting worse. We went to the vet and they told us to use silver sulfadiazine, which we did and no healing. Then they did a culture and it turned out that it was infected. So me and my wife gave him 8 injections which made the bruise look quite a bit better. But then the other 2 injections didn't really seem to help at all. He never ever glass surfs. A bit ago I found it was a little too hot in there (I think it was something like 104-106f in the basking spot) which caused him to glass surf quite a bit but that was before the injections. He never glass surfs now, well only a little bit before he poops or after he poops. I don't think there is any blood. I want to go the vet again I just don't know what else they could do. I feel so bad about this, I don't know how to make it heal. Should I wait for him to shed over the bruise?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Probably good to have it seen now rather than waiting for a shed. How long did you use the honey back in May and how long currently ?

TackoFallForPres

Original Poster
AHBD":qtsl2uq7 said:
Probably good to have it seen now rather than waiting for a shed. How long did you use the honey back in May and how long currently ?
Okay thanks I will call the vet tommorow morning. In may I used the raw honey daily for I think about 1 month and a half or two months until they told me to use the silver sulfadiazine. I have probably been using the honey for a month a couple times a day. Thank you again so much for responding

TackoFallForPres

Original Poster
TackoFallForPres":2say45kr said:
AHBD":2say45kr said:
Okay thanks I will call the vet tommorow morning. In may I used the raw honey daily for I think about 1 month and a half or two months until they told me to use the silver sulfadiazine. I have probably been using the honey for a month a couple times a day. Thank you again so much for responding

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That looks like it probably hurts him some. The raw unpasteurized honey should start to work
soon I hope. Does he rub or bang his snout on his tank? That is usually what causes those
types of rostral injuries.
Is his appetite doing ok?

Tracie

TackoFallForPres

Original Poster
Drache613":2k9ddokt said:
Hello,

That looks like it probably hurts him some. The raw unpasteurized honey should start to work
soon I hope. Does he rub or bang his snout on his tank? That is usually what causes those
types of rostral injuries.
Is his appetite doing ok?

Tracie

Thanks for responding, I'll ask about the pain at the vet appointment.
He never bangs his snout on the tank or glass surfs. He used to glass surf quite a bit, but that was a while ago. The injury happened because he had poop on him and I was taking him out to give him a bath and he banged his snout on the side of the tank (he is much more squirmy when he has poop on him). He seems 100% fine. He is eating fine, basking, he is pooping pretty much normal although he seems to get a little constipated here and there.

TackoFallForPres

Original Poster
HUGE UPDATE

What even just happened? Did it just shed overnight or heal? Or maybe the scab fell off
108960-1351528163.jpg

I don't think that it is just the honey covering it up. I wiped all the honey off of his snout. Even when there was honey on there I could see the wound through it. Is this healed?
108960-8884688005.jpg
I really hope that this healed and that it isn't a one time thing or that something is on it (he just ate some apple). I hope this isn't a false positive. I may wait a day or two to see it if still looks this good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom