Bearded Dragon Won't Open Left Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayla0414

Original Poster
My bearded dragon is keeping her eye closed and won't really open it.

Background: She is about 5 months old and the past 2.5 weeks she has kept her left eye mostly closed. Only on rare occasion does she open it. I thought it was because she was about to shed but she shed fully last week and it hasn't improved.

I took her to the vet and she was prescribed an anti-inflammatory and it hasn't done anything. They did a very close inspection and an eye stain. They said the eye is not irritated and there was nothing in the eye. They flushed it a few times. I've been flushing it with saline spray and even stopped for a few days in case it was making it worse. Lighting is correct as she has an Arcadia 12% 24 inch T8 mounted inside with a reflector exactly 11" away from her basking spot. The light is only a month old.

Any thoughts of what it could be? She is well hydrated and gets bugs dusted with calcium

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My bearded dragon is keeping her eye closed and won't really open it.

Background: She is about 5 months old and the past 2.5 weeks she has kept her left eye mostly closed. Only on rare occasion does she open it. I thought it was because she was about to shed but she shed fully last week and it hasn't improved.

I took her to the vet and she was prescribed an anti-inflammatory and it hasn't done anything. They did a very close inspection and an eye stain. They said the eye is not irritated and there was nothing in the eye. They flushed it a few times. I've been flushing it with saline spray and even stopped for a few days in case it was making it worse. Lighting is correct as she has an Arcadia 12% 24 inch T8 mounted inside with a reflector exactly 11" away from her basking spot. The light is only a month old.

Any thoughts of what it could be? She is well hydrated and gets bugs dusted with calcium
Please adjust your Uvb to 6-8 inches for a T 8-- next what are you using for a basking bulb? It should be a clear bright white basking bulb - coils and daytime bulbs like a bulb w/ neoydium are bad for the eyes along w/ colored bulbs- off white or yellowish are not any good either

kayla0414

Original Poster
Please adjust your Uvb to 6-8 inches for a T 8-- next what are you using for a basking bulb? It should be a clear bright white basking bulb - coils and daytime bulbs like a bulb w/ neoydium are bad for the eyes along w/ colored bulbs- off white or yellowish are not any good either
For the Arcadia bulbs it says 10 to 12 inches away. Any closer is too close. I only use halogen flood lights. No colored lights and the lights are on a 12 hour schedule

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
For the Arcadia bulbs it says 10 to 12 inches away. Any closer is too close. I only use halogen flood lights. No colored lights and the lights are on a 12 hour schedule
Ok sorry uvb is good- can you post a pic of the eye- are you using any loose substrate? I know you said the eye has been flushed and your thinking nothing else is in it - I am stumped- your lighting is all good-

kayla0414

Original Poster
Ok sorry uvb is good- can you post a pic of the eye- are you using any loose substrate? I know you said the eye has been flushed and your thinking nothing else is in it - I am stumped- your lighting is all good-
Thank you for your help! I'm stumped too. I attached photos of her eye open and closed. These are from 2 weeks ago because her lights just went off for her to sleep and I don't want to wake her. I use slate tile as a substrate.

Attachments

• 20220213_102538.jpg
    20220213_102538.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 62
  • 20220213_170614.jpg
    20220213_170614.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 75

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Based on the pictures, it looks like your dragon's face & eye area is going to shed. It doesn't look like
there is any infection going on.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom