Bearded Dragon Won't Open Left Eye

kayla0414

Original Poster
My bearded dragon is keeping her eye closed and won't really open it.

Background: She is about 5 months old and the past 2.5 weeks she has kept her left eye mostly closed. Only on rare occasion does she open it. I thought it was because she was about to shed but she shed fully last week and it hasn't improved.

I took her to the vet and she was prescribed an anti-inflammatory and it hasn't done anything. They did a very close inspection and an eye stain. They said the eye is not irritated and there was nothing in the eye. They flushed it a few times. I've been flushing it with saline spray and even stopped for a few days in case it was making it worse. Lighting is correct as she has an Arcadia 12% 24 inch T8 mounted inside with a reflector exactly 11" away from her basking spot. The light is only a month old.

Any thoughts of what it could be? She is well hydrated and gets bugs dusted with calcium

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 4 and Blaze is 3
My bearded dragon is keeping her eye closed and won't really open it.

Background: She is about 5 months old and the past 2.5 weeks she has kept her left eye mostly closed. Only on rare occasion does she open it. I thought it was because she was about to shed but she shed fully last week and it hasn't improved.

I took her to the vet and she was prescribed an anti-inflammatory and it hasn't done anything. They did a very close inspection and an eye stain. They said the eye is not irritated and there was nothing in the eye. They flushed it a few times. I've been flushing it with saline spray and even stopped for a few days in case it was making it worse. Lighting is correct as she has an Arcadia 12% 24 inch T8 mounted inside with a reflector exactly 11" away from her basking spot. The light is only a month old.

Any thoughts of what it could be? She is well hydrated and gets bugs dusted with calcium
Please adjust your Uvb to 6-8 inches for a T 8-- next what are you using for a basking bulb? It should be a clear bright white basking bulb - coils and daytime bulbs like a bulb w/ neoydium are bad for the eyes along w/ colored bulbs- off white or yellowish are not any good either

kayla0414

Original Poster
Please adjust your Uvb to 6-8 inches for a T 8-- next what are you using for a basking bulb? It should be a clear bright white basking bulb - coils and daytime bulbs like a bulb w/ neoydium are bad for the eyes along w/ colored bulbs- off white or yellowish are not any good either
For the Arcadia bulbs it says 10 to 12 inches away. Any closer is too close. I only use halogen flood lights. No colored lights and the lights are on a 12 hour schedule

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 4 and Blaze is 3
For the Arcadia bulbs it says 10 to 12 inches away. Any closer is too close. I only use halogen flood lights. No colored lights and the lights are on a 12 hour schedule
Ok sorry uvb is good- can you post a pic of the eye- are you using any loose substrate? I know you said the eye has been flushed and your thinking nothing else is in it - I am stumped- your lighting is all good-

kayla0414

Original Poster
Ok sorry uvb is good- can you post a pic of the eye- are you using any loose substrate? I know you said the eye has been flushed and your thinking nothing else is in it - I am stumped- your lighting is all good-
Thank you for your help! I'm stumped too. I attached photos of her eye open and closed. These are from 2 weeks ago because her lights just went off for her to sleep and I don't want to wake her. I use slate tile as a substrate.

Attachments

• 20220213_102538.jpg
    20220213_102538.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 34
  • 20220213_170614.jpg
    20220213_170614.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 33

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Based on the pictures, it looks like your dragon's face & eye area is going to shed. It doesn't look like
there is any infection going on.

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I see my lizard is being given Allopurinol 100ml tablet 10mg/ml (0.4) and tramadol 0.2ml every other day to help with gout. I have tramadol at home can I water it down and give it to her and if so do anyone know how much to water down ?
323A2CAE-899F-4592-90D2-DC37D45A30F1.jpeg

Baby photo! Look at how little and cute I was!!!
C34BF977-474F-4233-BF7E-8C797567E429.jpeg
Buffy snuggling with my partner!!!
Gout in bearded dragons
So freaking handsome I just love youuuuu so much 💕

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emmacareyse
Top Bottom