Bearded dragon with parasites and other issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made an appt with Dr. Funk a well known and trusted vet that specializes in reptiles and headed up the reptile department of the Phoenix zoo for many years. He recently retired but takes clients every other month and I waited over 5 weeks to see him because I heard and read so many good things. Well, Im so confused now. He told me not to use the repti bulb that everyone on here says is imperative for our bearded dragons. He said to only use a mercury bulb 160 watt by exo terra solar glo only. He said the reptisun T8 didn't actually produce the correct amount of uva and uvb and only the mercury bulbs can and that the natural sun is obviously the best choice if that's an option as it is for me being I live in Arizona and have the desert climate.

I spent hours installing and ordering this special fixture I had to have mounted inside my tank only to be told I'm using the wrong kind. I'm so confused. He sent me home with a card that reacts to different colors under the uva/uvb lighting and hes right. The color barely changed under my $55 reptisun tube bulb. So shocked???

He also told me that those marks on my bearded dragon are not stress marks at all. Weird. I thought my juvenile bearded dragon was stressed all the time. Hes not stressed but does have parasites and 3 of them. Thank you Petsmart. Im now treating him for ponasuril, panacur, and flagyl. I hope his next fecal sample will be better or better yet they will be irradicated. Had a hell of a time getting her to take her meds. I felt like I was hurting her. UGGGG

I guess I'm confused and having a hard time knowing who is the expert on these types of things. So bummed about the parastes but I figured she probably had them. Shes healthy overall and besides changing her name she seems very content. So happy to learn shes not constantly stressed. Any feedback??

Jennifer

[ximg]88673 7143876417[/ximg]

Im treating her (thought her was a him before appt lol)

MsCarter

Juvie Member
It's interesting but not entirely true. the reptisun 10.0 t5's are great fixtures that do provide dragons with plenty of UVB. A pet shop near me did a test and what they found was (while using a reflective fixture in all testers) the Arcadia bulbs actually out preformed everything else. They scored a 4.9 while reptisun scored a 3.3 at 8". The equipment they used to read the ultraviolet B rays stated that 2.6-3.5 readings were equivalent to mid-summer days. So, it seems that the reptisun t5 fixtures produce plenty of UVB

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Don't worry, you have an excellent bulb that will work just fine. Thousands of owners including professional breeders use them....MVB's are fine but so are the Reptisun and Arcadia long tube bulbs.

gbgirl1705

Original Poster
I am sticking with the reptisun bulb I have mounted inside of Lady Lizards terrarium. I'm so grateful for all the support and feedback. Thank you!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom