Bearded dragon will not eat and has pinworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbd

Original Poster
Hey all,

My bearded dragon Archie has pinworms and will not eat. He is on panacur for the worms at 0.43 ml every 2 weeks (3 doses total). He had his first dose last Monday.

He hasn’t been eating a lot the last month even with the panacur so I’m worried. I’ve noticed he’s more active and out basking more but will only eat some live bugs everyday and that’s it.

I tried giving him soy yogurt as a probiotic, and I cannot get him to eat any of it even with a syringe. He’s about 1.5 years old and now weighs 421 g which is down from his original weight of about 430 g.

Am I over reacting and is there anything else I can do? Or does it take a while for panacur to help out? Thank you in advanced!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Were his pinworm levels pretty high? It sometimes does take them awhile to regain their appetites when on any type of medication.
If he doesn't like the soy yogurt, you can also try some non dairy acidophiluz or mango slices for help with appetite & digestion.
That is a great sign he is out basking more than he was previously, so he must feel a little better right now.
Keep us posted on his progress!

Tracie

lbd

Original Poster
Hello,

Were his pinworm levels pretty high? It sometimes does take them awhile to regain their appetites when on any type of medication.
If he doesn't like the soy yogurt, you can also try some non dairy acidophiluz or mango slices for help with appetite & digestion.
That is a great sign he is out basking more than he was previously, so he must feel a little better right now.
Keep us posted on his progress!

Tracie
Yes his levels were pretty high and the worms could be seen pretty obviously in his poop. I’ll try some mango though and see if he’s more interested!

I’m also worried about dehydration. I’ve been giving him baths but he won’t drink during them. He has a water bowl in his enclosure. Does bathing hydrate them at all through the skin?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

They normally don't absorb much moisture through soaking but it can help with overall hydration especially when shedding. They
can become better hydrated through oral hydration, it is more effective.
Let us know if he likes the mango! How is he doing today?

Tracie

lbd

Original Poster
He’s doing about the same. He’s still actively basking and is alert! I probably freaked myself out by worrying but will of course keep a close eye on him especially if his appetite doesn’t come back after the second panacur dose. Thank you :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

At least he is basking & alert. Hopefully he will start to get back to normal real soon. Let us know how he is progressing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LittleSofa
Top Bottom