Bearded dragon watery poop

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I like to offer about 3-6 UVI (roughly) over the basking area with a gradient down below 1 in other areas. Branches offering access to 7 or 8 is OK in case they want it. At that point I just adjust based on their behavior and what the individual dragon seems to want. The 3-6 UVI range comes from the UVI measured in mid morning and late afternoon in parts of australia. They have been reported to be out basking the most during these times and will hide in the shade during mid day when UVI can jump over 14 easily. It needs to be adapted to the small spaces we give them, so you don't want it to get too high unless you have a huge area for them to roam. It comes down to giving them plenty of options to choose from safely. The smaller the space, the fewer the options and the more of an average you'll want to shoot for.

Timbo11386

Original Poster
I like to offer about 3-6 UVI (roughly) over the basking area with a gradient down below 1 in other areas. Branches offering access to 7 or 8 is OK in case they want it. At that point I just adjust based on their behavior and what the individual dragon seems to want. The 3-6 UVI range comes from the UVI measured in mid morning and late afternoon in parts of australia. They have been reported to be out basking the most during these times and will hide in the shade during mid day when UVI can jump over 14 easily. It needs to be adapted to the small spaces we give them, so you don't want it to get too high unless you have a huge area for them to roam. It comes down to giving them plenty of options to choose from safely. The smaller the space, the fewer the options and the more of an average you'll want to shoot for.
Awesome very insightful I appreciate your and everyone’s help

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You are doing great, don't give up on him. If you get his lighting & temperatures optimal,
I think he will start to turn around.
Has his appetite improved also?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Timbo11386

Original Poster
Hello,

You are doing great, don't give up on him. If you get his lighting & temperatures optimal,
I think he will start to turn around.
Has his appetite improved also?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie
He just hacks a bit in the morning kinda of like when a heavy smoker wakes up and once he’s done he won’t do it till the next morning. Yes he eats like a big pig which is good his appetite has improved a lot

Timbo11386

Original Poster
What is the best way to keep him hydrated he’s eating bugs and greens but his eyes look a little dehydrated. I e tried dripping water on nose and mouth for him to lick but he refuses to lick it and won’t drink water on his own. I have been able to get some in his mouth with a dropper but it’s really hard to do he freaks out and I’m afraid of aspiration and making his infection worse is there any other way?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What is the best way to keep him hydrated he’s eating bugs and greens but his eyes look a little dehydrated. I e tried dripping water on nose and mouth for him to lick but he refuses to lick it and won’t drink water on his own. I have been able to get some in his mouth with a dropper but it’s really hard to do he freaks out and I’m afraid of aspiration and making his infection worse is there any other way?
If he's not licking the water off he's not thirsty- watch his poops urate should be white formed and moist - if it's dry and chalky looking he's dehydrated

Timbo11386

Original Poster
If he's not licking the water off he's not thirsty- watch his poops urate should be white formed and moist - if it's dry and chalky looking he's dehydrated
Hes only pooped twice since I’ve had him both very watery. I’ll post a pic of the urate and see what u think.

Attachments

• F5E82313-97B0-4D72-B3FD-3E6D277C696B.jpeg
    F5E82313-97B0-4D72-B3FD-3E6D277C696B.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 79

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hes only pooped twice since I’ve had him both very watery. I’ll post a pic of the urate and see what u think.
Hes not dehydrated -- extra water hes pooped out is good - good white urate - the dark poop is there any undigested bugs in it?

Timbo11386

Original Poster
Hes not dehydrated -- extra water hes pooped out is good - good white urate - the dark poop is there any undigested bugs in it?
No bugs but this was 3 days ago but currently his saliva is thick and maybe sunken eye? I’ll send a pic

Attachments

• 2F369599-2BC3-412C-9D3D-AD4FF5826488.jpeg
    2F369599-2BC3-412C-9D3D-AD4FF5826488.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 66

HeathJenks

Beardie name(s)
Pi'lar (Pea-lar)
Hey guys so I got my bearded dragon 5 days ago he’s 2 years old and had his first poop today and a little bit was formed but the rest was a lot of water and made a mess he eats good both salad and roaches and good energy. Yesterday he drank a good amount of water from dish so basically what I’m asking is that is it possibly from new home stress or too much water ingested? Cool side is 81 degrees basking is 99 to 103 degrees basking is mvb 100 watt bulb with 10.0 uvb light. Seems very healthy and friendly just concerned about the diarrhea if it’s normal for his new home/ relocation stress. Being it’s his first poop with me I can’t say if he’s done it before or not. Thx for the help
If it were me Timbo, I would take your new beardie to the vet and get a fecal and a gram stain. Maybe he needs some pro-biotics. Good luck.

Timbo11386

Original Poster
If it were me Timbo, I would take your new beardie to the vet and get a fecal and a gram stain. Maybe he needs some pro-biotics. Good luck.
Ya I made appointment he has respiratory infection but the closest appointment is the 18th of July the rest are months away all the way to October

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom