Bearded dragon was diagnosed with gout! The vet wants to euthanize but I want to explore other options if possible.

HerpLover17

My 8 year old rescue bearded dragon Alexei was diagnosed with gout today. I've had him for a year and a half. He has a 4x2x2 enclosure with a Reptisun 10.0 T5 strip UVB and two basking bulbs that keep his temperatures from 75-110°F. He is on paper towels right now to reduce infection but I had him on natural peat moss before and I fed him with tongs to keep impaction from happening.

When I got him he had MBD, parasites, and a severe URI. He has been to the vet many times. But in the past two months he has been slowing down and not eating or pooping much. I suspected brumation so I just made sure to keep an eye on him and keep offering his daily salads.

Last week he started straining to go to the bathroom and his cloaca would look pink and inflamed. The vet gave him an enema and some laxatives and told me to keep soaking him daily to avoid a prolapse. She said he had a hard stuck urate. I have also been syringe feeding him repashy bearded dragon buffet, pumpkin puree, and butternut squash baby food mixed with water and calcium every day.

Last night I noticed that his back legs stopped working and were completely limp and wrinkled, but his knees were swollen. He is also severely bloated and his belly feels tight and impacted. His beard has been dark and so has his body. I rushed him to the vet this morning and the vet diagnosed him with gout. She said because he was in pain and there isn't good treatment he should be euthanized.

I'm so upset. I love Alexei so much and don't want to lose him. I will put him down if needed but are there any alternatives?
20221205_104932.jpg
20221205_110108.jpg
Snapchat-428354231.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My 8 year old rescue bearded dragon Alexei was diagnosed with gout today. I've had him for a year and a half. He has a 4x2x2 enclosure with a Reptisun 10.0 T5 strip UVB and two basking bulbs that keep his temperatures from 75-110°F. He is on paper towels right now to reduce infection but I had him on natural peat moss before and I fed him with tongs to keep impaction from happening.

When I got him he had MBD, parasites, and a severe URI. He has been to the vet many times. But in the past two months he has been slowing down and not eating or pooping much. I suspected brumation so I just made sure to keep an eye on him and keep offering his daily salads.

Last week he started straining to go to the bathroom and his cloaca would look pink and inflamed. The vet gave him an enema and some laxatives and told me to keep soaking him daily to avoid a prolapse. She said he had a hard stuck urate. I have also been syringe feeding him repashy bearded dragon buffet, pumpkin puree, and butternut squash baby food mixed with water and calcium every day.

Last night I noticed that his back legs stopped working and were completely limp and wrinkled, but his knees were swollen. He is also severely bloated and his belly feels tight and impacted. His beard has been dark and so has his body. I rushed him to the vet this morning and the vet diagnosed him with gout. She said because he was in pain and there isn't good treatment he should be euthanized.

I'm so upset. I love Alexei so much and don't want to lose him. I will put him down if needed but are there any alternatives? View attachment 75882 View attachment 75883 View attachment 75884
Did the vet do a blood test for uric acid levels? Please do not put the dragon down for that - he can be put in allopurinol for gout- and please no more enemas - where is your uvb? Top of screen or inside the tank? We need Tracie to help you w/ the medical do you have any test results taken? If so post them - the pumpkin puree should make him go to the bathroom - I am flagging your post to 2 people
@Drache613
@AHBD

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Alexie is beautiful, poor guy has been through tough times though. :(
Are you positive it's a male ? So anyway, are these pics of him now as you described or before he developed the bloated belly + leg problem ? Did his belly get worse after the enema ? Sometimes they ARE necessary but as a very last resort, and not always a good thing. I would hold off on euthanizing, wait to see what Drache613 has to say, she's the expert on gout. Continue offering natural laxatives like baby food squash, sweet potao, applesauce with extra water added. Even a little raw honey mixed with water. Then give Alexie a daily soak in warmer than usual water that about to his shoulders.

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Please get the 2nd opinion, vets can be entirely to quick to start pushing for euthanasia.

HerpLover17

Original Poster
Did the vet do a blood test for uric acid levels? Please do not put the dragon down for that - he can be put in allopurinol for gout- and please no more enemas - where is your uvb? Top of screen or inside the tank? We need Tracie to help you w/ the medical do you have any test results taken? If so post them - the pumpkin puree should make him go to the bathroom - I am flagging your post to 2 people
@Drache613
@AHBD
No she did not, I suppose I should get in contact with a vet that does blood tests. The UVB is a T5 so it is on top of the screen. She just said it was gout and then said euthanasia was what needed to happen. I really really would love to save him.

HerpLover17

Original Poster
Alexie is beautiful, poor guy has been through tough times though. :(
Are you positive it's a male ? So anyway, are these pics of him now as you described or before he developed the bloated belly + leg problem ? Did his belly get worse after the enema ? Sometimes they ARE necessary but as a very last resort, and not always a good thing. I would hold off on euthanizing, wait to see what Drache613 has to say, she's the expert on gout. Continue offering natural laxatives like baby food squash, sweet potao, applesauce with extra water added. Even a little raw honey mixed with water. Then give Alexie a daily soak in warmer than usual water that about to his shoulders.
Thank you 🥺 I am pretty sure he is a male, he has large pores and his balls are pretty big. 🤣 I will continue with the laxatives and get ahold of some applesauce. The pictures are after the bloated belly, but he has been writhing and his stomach feels like a basketball (swollen and hard.) When he strains it looks like he is starting to prolapse.

Attachments

• 20221128_013934.jpg
    20221128_013934.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 20221205_160005.jpg
    20221205_160005.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 20221205_155916.jpg
    20221205_155916.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 57

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I'll look around for different vets!
www.arav.org if your in a small town / area type in the biggest cities zip code closest to you--- no blood work to actually know if its gout time for a new vet and one that knows you dont need to euthanize if the dragon has gout--- your UVB needs to be inside the tank if the screen is a fine mesh like a screen door -- screens block 30% of the UVB rays --- it can sit on top of the screen if the screen is wide hole - let me know so we can get the UVB properly placed

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you 🥺 I am pretty sure he is a male, he has large pores and his balls are pretty big. 🤣 I will continue with the laxatives and get ahold of some applesauce. The pictures are after the bloated belly, but he has been writhing and his stomach feels like a basketball (swollen and hard.) When he strains it looks like he is starting to prolapse.
the one pic looks female --

HerpLover17

Original Poster
www.arav.org if your in a small town / area type in the biggest cities zip code closest to you--- no blood work to actually know if its gout time for a new vet and one that knows you dont need to euthanize if the dragon has gout--- your UVB needs to be inside the tank if the screen is a fine mesh like a screen door -- screens block 30% of the UVB rays --- it can sit on top of the screen if the screen is wide hole - let me know so we can get the UVB properly placed
That's a good point about the UVB. I've been planning on moving it to the inside anyways because I need to mount a second enclosure on top of that one. How do I put it inside?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That's a good point about the UVB. I've been planning on moving it to the inside anyways because I need to mount a second enclosure on top of that one. How do I put it inside?
You can use 3m Velcro fasteners - fishing line- picture wire hangers- or long plastic zip ties-

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, many times vets are too quick to automatically put them down without even trying.
As Karrie suggests, go ahead & mount your T5 tube underneath of the screen top to help
UVB exposure.
To start helping with renal function you can get some black or tart cherry juice extract for
now. If you can find another vet who would do a blood test that would help immensely. to
know what his levels were. Allopurinol can be very effective for treating gout, long & short
term both. Along with a diet change, oral hydration, many recover to have a good quality
of life.
Let us know how he is doing. Overall his physical condition doesn't look too bad. He had
a rough life before you got him!

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom