Bearded dragon super aggressive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, my sister's beardie is a three year-old male, and he's been acting super aggressive since around August of 2020. Whenever she sticks her hand into his tank to feed him/pet him/get him out to clean, he hisses, puffs up his beard, and lunges at her hand. At first she chalked this up to hormonal changes, however it has gotten so much worse recently.
She would really appreciate any advice/help anyone would be willing to give. Will provide more details if needed.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey all, my sister's beardie is a three year-old male, and he's been acting super aggressive since around August of 2020. Whenever she sticks her hand into his tank to feed him/pet him/get him out to clean, he hisses, puffs up his beard, and lunges at her hand. At first she chalked this up to hormonal changes, however it has gotten so much worse recently.
She would really appreciate any advice/help anyone would be willing to give. Will provide more details if needed.
the UVB what are you using NO coils please and are you using any colored bulbs? Basking temps what are they are how are you taking them NO stick ons please these things I am asking are crucial to the health and behavior of the dragon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She can use thick gloves to pick him up [ wear a long sleeve shirt as well ] and hold him for short periods to get him used to it, they usually won't bite but can struggle + scratch. Just go slow but don't hesitate, scoop him up from underneath for support and hold him close to your upper body. Do this for a few weeks and he should get used to her. In between these sessions she can just dangle her hand in the tank near him without touching him so he sees there's no harm.

SherlockH0lmes

Original Poster
the UVB what are you using NO coils please and are you using any colored bulbs? Basking temps what are they are how are you taking them NO stick ons please these things I am asking are crucial to the health and behavior of the dragon
I don't remember the UVB, but I know it's not coils and they're uncolored

The basking temp ranges from 85-95
We take the temps with the little probe looking things connected to a temp thing

if needed i can take a pic of the one in my room, as it's the same as the one in my sister's

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I don't remember the UVB, but I know it's not coils and they're uncolored

The basking temp ranges from 85-95
We take the temps with the little probe looking things connected to a temp thing

if needed i can take a pic of the one in my room, as it's the same as the one in my sister's
Temps need to be 95-100 taken w/ the digital probe please look on the bulb itself look for brand and T 5 or T 8 on it- this makes a difference in the placement and distance for that bulb-- how old is it

SherlockH0lmes

Original Poster
Temps need to be 95-100 taken w/ the digital probe please look on the bulb itself look for brand and T 5 or T 8 on it- this makes a difference in the placement and distance for that bulb-- how old is it
I think the bulbs are a couple months old, I can check the brand here in a few minutes
My beardie has the same exact setup and she's the sweetest thing, so we're super confused lol
thanks for helping me out here! you're the best :>

SherlockH0lmes

Original Poster
just looked and i couldnt find thr brand or t 5 or t 8
however i've attached a picture of one of the bulbs

we also have one of the long bulbs in the tank as well, alongside a heater type thing during the night

Attachments

• IMG_20220127_205443.jpg
    IMG_20220127_205443.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 72

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
just looked and i couldnt find thr brand or t 5 or t 8
however i've attached a picture of one of the bulbs

we also have one of the long bulbs in the tank as well, alongside a heater type thing during the night
Ok post a pic of it and it's odd there's no brand or bulb on it - so that tells me it's a off brand this will cause behavior issues+ what is the brand on the basking bulb - your surface basking temps and uvb are the MOST IMPORTANT things in the tank they will control the overall health and behavior-

Badwolfe

Hatchling Member
Could we please stop making every post on here an issue about UV lighting please. This is obviously a behavioural question and UV lighting plays little part in this.

This is a friendly forum but people are being put on the defensive by passive aggressive comments demanding people discuss their lighting set ups as an excuse for every little issue in every comment. There are numerous comments on here now where people have simply stopped responding whilst still needing help.

Yes incorrect UV lighting is the most common answer for many Beardy problems but its not a factor in many others too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom