Bearded dragon storing food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmariet47

This has been an issue for a while and sometimes she gets the food down right away and sometimes it takes a day. But her neck is huge right now and she keeps closing her eyes. I’m not sure what to do. 150watt bulb T5 uvb basking temp ranges from 105-110. Humidity is 20-40% but it varies because the temps are getting cool.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If you have pictures, go ahead & post them just so we can see how swollen the neck or
beard is.
Which tube UVB T5 brand are you using?
What is her age currently? If she is getting too cool then she may not be digesting her food
well enough. What type of thermometer are you using?

Tracie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've had the same problem with one of my girls for her whole life almost.

There has been no fix i've found, only small insects and smaller frequent meals compared to the other dragons.

I've seen it just be a phase with dragons. With mine, it's been like this her whole life. She will throw up her food after a few minutes if she eats too much or the food is too "big" because she stores it in her throat for God-knows what reason instead of just swallowing it.

-Brandon

kmariet47

Original Poster
I have the reptisun T5 uvb. She is almost 6 months. I have a digital thermometer in the tank and I use the infrared thermometer as well. This was her last night
111831-8107138262.jpg

kmariet47

Original Poster
Update: I took my beardie to the ER three days ago so they could remove food she couldn’t get down. They said she has a congenital issue where the back of her mouth is smaller than it should be. Anyone have any info on this? Also, she hasn’t been basking much lately, she threw up today and drank a lot of water and keeps opening her mouth like she’s basking but she’s not opening it wide enough like she usually would. The vet said there weren’t signs of uri so I’m not sure what is going on with her. Her temps range from 100-110 on the basking side but since it’s gotten cooler out I’m having a hard time keeping the humidity more than 20-25%.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Humidity is fine you dont want it any lower --- I am flagging post to Tracie the vet tech mod

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, poor thing! Did they have any suggestions as to how to get that cleared out? I have
not heard of any type of congenital birth defect type of issue, with narrowing of the back of
the throat.
How long has she been having this type of issue?
What type of thermometer are you using to measure the temperatures?

Tracie

kmariet47

Original Poster
She started two weeks after I had gotten her. She’s only 5 months. They suggested giving her less food at once and spreading it out. But it’s that she keeps opening her mouth randomly without basking that concerns me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom