Bearded Dragon Sleeps With Eye's Open

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRecord

My Bearded Dragon sleeps with his eyes open. The first time I noticed he did this I thought he was DEAD! Why does he do this and does anyone else's bearded dragon do this too? is it normal?

drgnfly2265

Sub-Adult Member
Both of my girls sleep with their eyes closed. I've never heard of beardies sleeping with their eyes open. Maybe someone else has seen this before.....

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
Are they all the way open? Usually if any lights turn on they open their eyes a bit (or sometimes all the way). If I try to take a picture of my bearded dragon sleeping, he opens his eyes - it's almost impossible to get a picture with their eyes closed while sleeping. I wouldn't worry about it - as long as he gets complete darkness while sleeping he'll be fine.

DRecord

Original Poster
Yes they are all the way open, and I knew he was sleep because I was waving my hand right in front of him and slapping the floor near where he laid. He didn't move at all! This is the time when I thought he was dead. When he is awake he will follow my hand when I wave it around. I was able to get a decent picture of this. By The way the lights in his cage were originally off, I just turned them on to take a picture of this.

AsrBGWiCQAA9Nmfpng-large.png

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
Yes, but my question is, how light is it in the room that you're able to see him and his eyes? Like I said, if there's any light in the room my guy opens his eyes.

DRecord

Original Poster
At night when I put him to sleep I turn all the lights out because I too have a hard time sleeping with lights, so it is basically pitch black in here. To the point where I can barely even see my Bearded Dragon in the cage. I also have blackout blinds so no light from outside can get in.

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
kjinxx2":m00eyl7o said:
Yes, but my question is, how light is it in the room that you're able to see him and his eyes? Like I said, if there's any light in the room my guy opens his eyes.
mine too.

they have a black spot on their head that allows them to see light above them.

i cover both my beardies with blankies. i've found that the black clothe that comes with laptops works well since it is dark and porous.

you can try an old pillow case too.

i line their shoebox beds with a pillow case and cover the top with another piece of fabric so it is dark in there.

ehinoBD

bunnyrut":1ikk6aw2 said:
kjinxx2":1ikk6aw2 said:
mine too.

they have a black spot on their head that allows them to see light above them.

i cover both my beardies with blankies. i've found that the black clothe that comes with laptops works well since it is dark and porous.

you can try an old pillow case too.

i line their shoebox beds with a pillow case and cover the top with another piece of fabric so it is dark in there.

I use a small black blanket works well too

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I've never seen any of my beardies sleep with their eyes open, but then I cover them with fleece blankets (no I don't spoil my babies at all). I have 5 male dragons & if there is any light in the living room where they sleep, they will open their eyes. Covering them up, no matter how dark it is, ensures they sleep well. So give that a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom