bearded dragon sleeping too much?

dushy

i have a 5 year old male bearded dragon that i’ve had for 4 years now. unfortunately both his back legs are injured. one of them when he jumped off my desk when i wasn’t looking about 2 years ago and the other earlier in the year which i don’t know how he got (came home and noticed it when i took him out.) besides that he is relatively happy and healthy. he loves to run around despite his injuries and has a normal appetite. but there’s something about him that has been concerning me lately. when i take him out and he’s running around he will go to a corner, under furniture, inside of shoes, or basically anywhere and go to sleep. this happens a lot. when he is not basking or eating inside his terrarium he is usually curled up in the corner. i believe this started in the beginning of the year or maybe a bit before.
my theory is that due to his leg injuries he has to work harder to move around which tires him out, so he needs to rest more often. but i want to make sure he’s okay and that im not missing anything. i don’t know if anyone will even see this but if you do feel free to comment or ask for more information so i can get to the bottom of this.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
It could be as you said, it could be that he wants to brumate.
It could be lighting issues. Please post pics of your habitat setup with info on type,age and distancesof your uvb and basking bulbs. If it's off even just a little it can cause problems. There is a bunch of good people here that can and are willing to help you. :)

dushy

Original Poster
i don’t think it’s brumation as it’s summer where i live and he’s never tried to brumate in the summer before. there should be a photo of his tank at the bottom. you can see in the photo his favorite place to sleep it’s 100 gallons and has 2 light fixtures to the right of the tank. the one more visible in the photo has his heat (left part) and uvb (right part). his heat bulb is an 150 watt exo terra intense basking spot. during the summer i prop the left side of the light fixture up on books to make sure the basking log isn’t too hot. his uvb is the exo terra reptile uvb 150 (26 watt). the second light fixture is a long strip light, another uvb placed just behind the first light. he hangs out in that area of his cage alot and i wanted to make sure he was getting enough uvb since it’s a big cage. i think the brand is zilla desert 50 (15 watt). the heat lamp i think is 15 inches from his log, the uvb 10 inches, and the additional uvb 18 inches from the ground.

i just changed the heating bulb today, and i think the uvb is 6 months old. the additional uvb has been burnt out for about 2 weeks. he was staying with my friends since the beginning of the month and i didn’t want them to spend the extra money buying one since it’s not really essential. i just got him back today and ordered the replacement. i don’t think the burnt uvb is the cause because this had been going on before it burnt out.
forgot to mention in the first post but his name is beardie (very creative of me)
24EAB8F6-B799-46B5-B2ED-F83EF408D578.jpeg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
i don’t think it’s brumation as it’s summer where i live and he’s never tried to brumate in the summer before. there should be a photo of his tank at the bottom. you can see in the photo his favorite place to sleep it’s 100 gallons and has 2 light fixtures to the right of the tank. the one more visible in the photo has his heat (left part) and uvb (right part). his heat bulb is an 150 watt exo terra intense basking spot. during the summer i prop the left side of the light fixture up on books to make sure the basking log isn’t too hot. his uvb is the exo terra reptile uvb 150 (26 watt). the second light fixture is a long strip light, another uvb placed just behind the first light. he hangs out in that area of his cage alot and i wanted to make sure he was getting enough uvb since it’s a big cage. i think the brand is zilla desert 50 (15 watt). the heat lamp i think is 15 inches from his log, the uvb 10 inches, and the additional uvb 18 inches from the ground.

i just changed the heating bulb today, and i think the uvb is 6 months old. the additional uvb has been burnt out for about 2 weeks. he was staying with my friends since the beginning of the month and i didn’t want them to spend the extra money buying one since it’s not really essential. i just got him back today and ordered the replacement. i don’t think the burnt uvb is the cause because this had been going on before it burnt out.
forgot to mention in the first post but his name is beardie (very creative of me) View attachment 72307
Please get a 24" zoo med fixture w/ a reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a 24 watt pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb-- please get rid of the coil uvb it is inadequate and will cause all kinds of health issues and behavior problems - the coil could be causing these issues your having- when you get the uvb please post back on here and I can help you place it for your tank - the screen looks to be a fine mesh

Jacqssss

forgot to mention in the first post but his name is beardie (very creative of me) View attachment 72307
What size is your tank there?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It isn't out of the realm of possibilities for brumation during spring or summer because some of
them do. However, what are you referring to that has happened to his back legs? Did he stop
using his back legs after he jumped off of the desk a couple of years ago?
What type of UVB light are you using?
It is possible he isn't getting adequate UVB so he might not be properly absorbing his calcium
very well causing back leg weakness.

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom