Bearded Dragon sickness?

Savagedemondog

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Gorgonzola
Hi! I’m new on the forum so please bear with me!

I’m a first time beardie owner, I got my little guy Gorgonzola in July of last year and they did not give me his exact age but I estimate him to be about 9-10 months old currently.

My issue is as follows: he hasn’t shedded in a few months, he looks very pale, he doesn’t poop regularly, he glass-surfs, he’s been affectionate the last few days where at first he didn’t like being handled at all, he sleeps a lot more and he’s currently refusing to eat (he did eat a few bites of greens yesterday though).

I am really concerned for him and have looked into some sicknesses, but none of them seem to fit his exact symptoms. There are quite a few pieces of information I currently do not have access to such as his enclosure measurements, Gorgie’s own measurements and the exact type of heatlamp I use for his basking spot etc. But I’m more than willing to look into it upon request.

We do not have a timed lamp yet, so he doesn’t really have a regular bed- and wake-up-time. Could this have anything to do with it? We’ve been planning on getting one soon.

We’re a little hesitant to get in contact with a vet as we’ve never had to before and don’t have a vet that treats reptiles locally, but we don’t rule it out if he gets any worse.

We got him from a specialized reptile store who set us up with all the equipment, but from past experiences I know store employees will just lie to you in order to sell products.

His current diet is greens such as cabbage as the store that provides me with insects is currently closed, but he does get fed grasshoppers and mealworms mostly.

Thanks for reading, please give me some advice

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 85

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
P
Hi! I’m new on the forum so please bear with me!

I’m a first time beardie owner, I got my little guy Gorgonzola in July of last year and they did not give me his exact age but I estimate him to be about 9-10 months old currently.

My issue is as follows: he hasn’t shedded in a few months, he looks very pale, he doesn’t poop regularly, he glass-surfs, he’s been affectionate the last few days where at first he didn’t like being handled at all, he sleeps a lot more and he’s currently refusing to eat (he did eat a few bites of greens yesterday though).

I am really concerned for him and have looked into some sicknesses, but none of them seem to fit his exact symptoms. There are quite a few pieces of information I currently do not have access to such as his enclosure measurements, Gorgie’s own measurements and the exact type of heatlamp I use for his basking spot etc. But I’m more than willing to look into it upon request.

We do not have a timed lamp yet, so he doesn’t really have a regular bed- and wake-up-time. Could this have anything to do with it? We’ve been planning on getting one soon.

We’re a little hesitant to get in contact with a vet as we’ve never had to before and don’t have a vet that treats reptiles locally, but we don’t rule it out if he gets any worse.

We got him from a specialized reptile store who set us up with all the equipment, but from past experiences I know store employees will just lie to you in order to sell products.

His current diet is greens such as cabbage as the store that provides me with insects is currently closed, but he does get fed grasshoppers and mealworms mostly.

Thanks for reading, please give me some advice
Please no more cabbage - what kind of uvb are you using? No coils please-- how are you getting surface basking temps-- digital probe thermometer is the most accurate- if any of this is off the dragon will not eat -

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

He looks well fed, his fat stores on his head look good so he's most likely not too sick.

Every illness in bearded dragons that does not relate to genetics come down to two things: Husbandry and diet.

So naturally, to help you, we need to know about your husbandry and what Gorgonzolas daily diet looks like.

Can you post a few pictures of his tank when you get a chance?
What is his basking SURFACE temperature?
What are you using to measure your temperature?
What uvb bulb are you using, and how/where is it mounted?
What does the daily diet look like, include quantities please.

If we rule out husbandry issues and diet issues, it's a lot easier to tell you that Gorgonzola is just going through a phase, or whether or not you need to make some changes.

-Brandon

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom