Bearded dragon shedding Behaviour

amyleigh123123

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Coop (cooper)
Hey! My beardie, Coop a rescue and he’s around 8. I have had him for a month now and he’s Great! He’s just coming into his first shed and I’d just like some advice on shedding behaviour. He hasn’t really been wanting to bask recently and has been under his hide sleeping a lot, he’s still eating and pooping just not as active. I’d love to see some people’s responses and any tips on a tail shed! Here’s a picture of him now:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 116

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey! My beardie, Coop a rescue and he’s around 8. I have had him for a month now and he’s Great! He’s just coming into his first shed and I’d just like some advice on shedding behaviour. He hasn’t really been wanting to bask recently and has been under his hide sleeping a lot, he’s still eating and pooping just not as active. I’d love to see some people’s responses and any tips on a tail shed! Here’s a picture of him now:)
Can you please post pics of his tank and lighting- dragons can go off their eating when shedding - they can get grouchy - the sleeping a lot not so much- we need to see if there is a lighting issue going a long w/ this behavior- what are his surface basking temps on the spot where he basks? The cage over the hammock is a heat emitter?

amyleigh123123

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Coop (cooper)
Hi! His temp where he currently is is at 33.3 degrees Celsius. Here is a picture of his lighting set up below. He is eating perfectly fine it’s just more the sleeping and stubborn shed On his tail. Yes the heat bulb is a heat emitter by Arcadia

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Here you go
Does your UVB have a reflector in the fixture? If not I recommend you get one- your rays are going all over the tank and you want them directed downward toward him Search results for: 'reflectors--' this is going to benefit him
Please get a solid bright white basking bulb like this --- you need a digital probe thermometer when getting this you want temps 95-100 F -- Exo Terra Sun Glo Tight Beam Basking Spot Lamp
the heat emitter does not produce the UV he needs and is good for night time temps- if your tank is dropping below 65 F at night then you want to use the heat emitter I would move it to the top of the tank center - heat emitters should not be used for basking bulbs - you want a bulb that mimics the sun - this is a good reason why your having the shedding issues along w/ him sleeping alot -- the basking temps is what starts digestion and the UVB is what helps w / the calcium process -- what is the bulb your using for the UVB ? is it a 12% bulb ? this bulb requires certain distance and its good its in the tank --

amyleigh123123

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Coop (cooper)
Does your UVB have a reflector in the fixture? If not I recommend you get one- your rays are going all over the tank and you want them directed downward toward him Search results for: 'reflectors--' this is going to benefit him
Please get a solid bright white basking bulb like this --- you need a digital probe thermometer when getting this you want temps 95-100 F -- Exo Terra Sun Glo Tight Beam Basking Spot Lamp
the heat emitter does not produce the UV he needs and is good for night time temps- if your tank is dropping below 65 F at night then you want to use the heat emitter I would move it to the top of the tank center - heat emitters should not be used for basking bulbs - you want a bulb that mimics the sun - this is a good reason why your having the shedding issues along w/ him sleeping alot -- the basking temps is what starts digestion and the UVB is what helps w / the calcium process -- what is the bulb your using for the UVB ? is it a 12% bulb ? this bulb requires certain distance and its good its in the tank --
Hey! Yes he has a reflector on his UVB and I will change that light straight away! What do you recommend for the night time? As external temperatures in my room can be quite low. I have 2 digital probes. One at the hot end and one at the cool end! And yes it is 12% my light :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hey! Yes he has a reflector on his UVB and I will change that light straight away! What do you recommend for the night time? As external temperatures in my room can be quite low. I have 2 digital probes. One at the hot end and one at the cool end! And yes it is 12% my light :)
Use your heat emitter that you have now -- you want ambient temps of no more than 70 F at night- please get the basking bulb as soon as you can- the 12% bulb is good make sure it's not over a year old if so replace and distance is 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor- place your digital probe thermometer on the place he bask for 10 min or so to get actual surface temps 95-100 F

amyleigh123123

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Coop (cooper)
Use your heat emitter that you have now -- you want ambient temps of no more than 70 F at night- please get the basking bulb as soon as you can- the 12% bulb is good make sure it's not over a year old if so replace and distance is 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor- place your digital probe thermometer on the place he bask for 10 min or so to get actual surface temps 95-100 F
I will order it right now! Thank you so much!! I will give you an update soon:)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Sorry, will I need a different light fitting for the bulb or should be be okay? I am just ordering it now
You want a ceramic dome w/ a reflector in it -- make sure you get a wattage of 100 or 150 for the bulb - I am using a Flukers dome its a 8.5 inch dome - you want a distance of at least 6" for the basking bulb nothing closer

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom